Freedom School and Eventual Ashes Presents ...
Freaks and Geeks
A Drag Musical
Interested in exploring song, movement, and theatre?
Curious about playing with the lines between “feminine” and “masculine”?
"Freaks and Geeks" is a FREE performance program for LGBTTIQ2S youth of colour and aboriginal youth. Over 12 weeks in a safe, nurturing and fun space, we'll use song, movement and theatre to create a group drag performance to celebrate the nonconforming and unique expressions of self that “Freaks and Geeks” embody.
In Cycle 1, we shared our Secrets http://vimeo.com/34503312
This cycle, we want you to……
Get your Freak on! Geek!
Note: “Drag” is about playing with the lines between what is “male” and what is “female.” Everyone can play with Gender in Performance.
WHERE: The 519 Church Street Community Centre (519 Church Street) & Buddies in Bad Times Theatre (12 Alexander Street)
Both the 519 and Buddies in Bad Times is wheelchair accessible.
EVERY Thursday. February 23rd – May 3rd (@ the 519)
TBD. Dress Rehearsal (@ Buddies in Bad Times Theatre)
TBD. Final Performance (@ Buddies in Bad Times Theatre)
Each Participant will receive an honorarium at the end of the program.
High school students can complete part of their community service hours requirement through this program.
Food and TTC tickets/tokens are provided.
To apply, please fill out the application form below and send it to
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 3, 2012
More on Freedom School:
More on Eventual Ashes:
This project is presented in partnership with the 519 Community Centre. It is supported by the Ontario Arts Council.
APPLICATION FORM: Freaks and Geeks
Please fill out the form below (9 questions total) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 3, 2012.
We’re trying to have a balance of people in terms of ethnic and gender identity. The next two questions will help us to build this balance, although they are optional.
1. How do you identify your ethnic background?
2. Are you: (fill in the blank and/or check all that apply)
_______________________ Trans ___ Woman ___ Man ___
Skills and Interests
3. What makes you interested in “Freaks and Geeks” right now?
4. What are your arts interests or skills?
5. What was the last movie, play, concert, or other creative performance that you saw? What did you like about it, and what would you change?
6. What role do you usually play in a group? (For example: leader, care-giver, information-seeker, initiator, recorder, energizer, do-er, etc)
7. Are there any specific needs or requests you have in order to be able to participate in the program fully?
8. Are you able to attend all of the sessions? If not, what date are you not able to attend?
9. Anything else you want to let us know?
email to email@example.com by Friday, February 3, 2012.