About Us

There is a record of Methodism in Middletown as early as 1816. John Senseney, nephew of the founder of Middletown, recorded in his diary that he joined the Methodist Society in 1816 and that there were twelve members. The first church was a log structure on Senseney Avenue. In 1853, a new brick structure was built on the site of the old log church. The new church was dedicated on December 18, 1853, as part of the Winchester Circuit. During the Civil War, it was used as a hospital and stable by Federal troops. The present church building as begun in 1896 and dedicated on July 31, 1898. It is built with native dressed blue limestone, quarried locally, and the roof is covered with slate tiles. In 1989, a kitchen, fellowship hall, office, restrooms, and additional classrooms were added. Grace has one of the last hand-played carillons in the Shenandoah Valley and the old hymns continue to ring out over Middletown every Sunday morning. The ancestors of Grace Church built a substantial building in testimony to their faith that a church would be needed in this place for many years to come, and so the present-day members of Grace United Methodist Church accept the need to be faithful to their heritage and be open to the future.