The Center for Excellence in Teaching invites every department across the University to nominate one teaching assistant or assistant lecturer for USC’s highest teaching award presented to graduate students. The University Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award emphasizes the critical role of teaching in USC’s mission. Three awards will be presented at the 2013 Academic Honors Convocation to graduate students who have exhibited exceptional excellence in their classroom or laboratory instruction and other guidance of undergraduate students. Each award carries a $1,000 prize.
Required documents for the University Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award are these:
· Contact information of nominator and nominee
· From the nominee's sponsor, a citation for publication in the Academic Honors
Convocation program (~150-175 words)
· From the nominating department, a formal statement not to exceed two pages,
indicating why the nominee is an excellent candidate for the award
The statement may include:
· evidence of innovative instructional techniques and contributions;
· contributions to student learning above and beyond the call of duty;
· contributions to learning outside the classroom;
· self-improvement efforts regarding teaching.
· A copy of nominee's most recent curriculum vitae
· A representative selection of the nominee's formal teaching evaluations, including
students' comments appearing in the evaluation forms
· Up to two letters of recommendation from department faculty who can assess
the nominee's contributions to students’ learning.
The nomination deadline is Friday October 12, 2012.
Please note that at a special reception on November 14, 2012 all nominees will be honored with an award and citation in recognition of their excellence in teaching. Hence, all departments are encouraged to submit a nomination.
Please send a pdf of the nomination materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org