Dog License Applications

Dog licenses are required for all dogs older than three months old. Obtaining a license is a quick and easy process that is essential to the safety of pets. If dogs are lost or stolen, a license can help make sure they get home safely. The fees collected through dog licensing are used to fund dog wardens. 

Dog License Applications are available at the Treasurer's Office or may be downloaded, completed and mailed with the correct fee to the Treasurer’s Office. 

Click here to download the Dog License Application.
PLEASE NOTE: the State no longer provides self-addressed stamped envelopes for returning dog licenses; therefore, please provide with your application a self-addressed stamped envelope for us to return your new dog license ... thank you for your understanding & cooperation. 

Dog license fees are listed below:
  1. Regular Fee:
    • Male or Female — $8.45
    • Neutered Male or Spayed Female — $6.45
  2. Person with Disability or Senior Citizen Fee:
    • Male or Female — $6.45
    • Neutered Male or Spayed Female — $4.45
Lifetime dog license fees are listed below:
  1. Regular Fee:
    • Male or Female — $51.45
    • Neutered Male or Spayed Female — $31.45
  2. Person with Disability or Senior Citizen Fee:
    • Male or Female — $31.45
    • Neutered Male or Spayed Female — $21.45
PLEASE NOTE: To receive a lifetime dog license, the dog must have a tattoo or microchip permanently identifying it. 

All fees include service fees allowed by law; if the license is issued by an agent other than the Treasurer, an additional $.50 will be charged. Most of the licensing fees go to the state to fund various animal welfare programs. The county retains $1 to $1.45 of each license sold. For more information, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Web site at 

The county dog warden canvasses the county at various times each year, looking for unlicensed dogs and citing their owners. Failure to license a dog is a summary offense punishable by a maximum fine of $300 for each unlicensed dog. The minimum fine is $50 plus court costs. All dogs must be under control and are not permitted to run at-large. Complaints may be reported to John C. Thomas, state dog warden, at 724-451-8278.

Dog Licenses can be purchased the following local licensing agents:
  • Greene County Treasurer's Office
  • Bobtown Market 
    Main & Franklin Streets, Bobtown, PA 15315 
    Phone: 724-839-7541
  • Braden Run Animal Hospital 
    216 Braden Run Road Waynesburg, PA 15370 
    Phone: 724-627-5079
  • Burns Exxon 
    419 West Roy Furman Highway, Wind Ridge, PA 15380 
    Phone: 724-428-4268
  • Carmichaels Borough Building 
    100 West George Street, Carmichaels, PA 15320 
    Phone: 724-966-5506
  • Hixies General Store 
    750 Garrison Ridge Road, New Freeport, PA 15352 
    Phone: 724-447-2077
  • Ruff Creek General Store 
    720 Washington Road, Prosperity, PA 15329 
    Phone: 724-627-9122
  • Trader’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning 
    1429 Jefferson Road, Jefferson, PA 15344 
    Phone: 724-883-3005

Humane Society of Greene County

183 Jefferson Road
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania 15370
(724) 627-9988

Shelter hours:
Monday, 12:00 to 5:00
Wednesday, 12:00 to 5:00
Saturday, 12:00 to 5:00

Animal abuse investigation

Humane Society has specially trained and licensed staff who investigate reports of animal abuse, whether pets or livestock. Wild animals that are injured are best left alone, but, if you want to report such a situation, contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

Their investigations involve looking at the animals in the living situation in which they find them. They may take pictures, and, if there is a problem, they will contact the owner to try to improve things. If the abuse is severe, or if they are unable to come to a satisfactory arrangement with the owner, they may take the animals, and seek further remedy through the courts, under Pennsylvania state laws that protect animals.

Call them if you know of such an abusive situation.

Services to the general public

The Humane Society realizes that we can even help people who have no pets. Every week they take one or two of their friendliest pets to a local care facility that houses elderly persons. It has been scientifically demonstrated that the opportunity to play with a cat or dog improves the health of older people. By the way, if you are an older person, and do not have a pet at this time, here is some food for thought.

They have videos and books on animal and pet care for free loan to the public.

They pay attention to future pet owners as well. We offer presentations on pet care, how to watch for animal abuse, and other topics to area schools. These presentations are available to groups as well. They conduct a yearly essay contest among school students to increase awareness about animal abuse and the need to spay or neuter many pets.

They conduct a yearly rabies clinic at the Greene County Fairgrounds in the Fall. At this clinic they offer rabies shots, dog and cat distemper shots, feline leukemia shots, and dog and cat worming at extremely low fees. These services are conducted by a veterinarian.

Oh, yes, you can purchase your required yearly Greene County dog license at their shelter.