December 2019



November 2019


With sadness, the Holly Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain announced the passing of Archbishop
Gregorios, in the early hours of Wednesday 20th of November 2019

His Eminence was born in Cyprus on the 28th of October 1928. From a young age he loved the Church, which eventually served for 68 years. After passing all the Clergy levels since 1951 when he was ordained a monk, he became Bishop of Tropaiou of our Archdiocese in 1970.

Our Mother Church, the Ecumenical
Patriarchate, elected Greogorios (Theocharous) to become Archbishop in this country in April 1988. After 30 years, he withdrew last June due to ill health.

With the blessing and guidance of the late former Archbishop Gregorios, our Community was founded in December 1989, with himself holding our very first Holy Liturgy. Since then, 30 years passed and his support never diminished. He supported us on every step we took, the founding of our School and the acquisition of our Church building and Community Hall.

He visited our Community often, usually late November but also for the Salutations to Virgin Mary and more.

We will miss him. We will remember him.

From the Committee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Our Church used to have four crosses we believe, one on each corner of the roof, back when it used to be St. Mary the Virgin. When it stopped being a church in 1968 (converted to a Community Centre in 1976), the crosses were removed.

When we moved in (2009) and re established the Church status of the building as St. Ambrosios & St. Stylianos and as we were conducting indoor repairs, we experienced a mini-miracle. Days after moving in, our neighbour found a cross as she was digging in her garden. She came in the Church and gave it to us. It was a smaller cross from the east corner. We were all shocked and so happy.

The cross was restored, after spending at least 41 years buried and was placed on one of the window ledges inside the Church, hoping that one day it could be placed back on the roof. More pressing matters occupied our time, like purchasing the adjacent Hall and restoring it. The cross kept waiting for its turn on the list of priorities. There was some pressure by parishioners that the cross should move higher up on our priorities, after all, that is one of the essential elements of any Christian Church. A wonderful couple offered to cover the cost of the installation and seemingly, the last hurdle was gone. Or so we thought.

We sought permission by the local council (that was easy) and then looked for who could install it. We even contemplated doing it ourselves. How hard could it be? Well harder than we thought. High lift equipment that had to be tall enough to do the job. Tall enough means wide enough too. That meant health and safety implications, there were crossing cables, potential road and pavement closures, associated permissions etc. Again the cross installation was moved to the "too difficult at the moment" list.

Until out of the blue almost and whilst discussing some roof work on the other side of the building with our Chairman Mrs. Beales, Nicholas Fuller of the reputable Thomas Betts & Co. made the "too difficult", so easy! Without too much fuss and with their well know expertise and love for everything historic, they installed our cross up high on the Stony Stratford skies. Those of us who saw it first were really overwhelmed and truly touched. We could stop looking up! We are now complete.

A big big thank you both to the donors who covered the cost and Mr. Fuller for making it look so easy.

Comments