Scenario 2 - Armoured Assault

Despite the recent success in the north of the region, the Winsor Garrison have shifted their attentions westwards towards the Maidenhead and District Peoples Popular Collective. Royalist sympathisers have reported that the MDPPC have recently received a large shipment of smuggled arms, including unidentified “heavy weapons”. At the same time a battalion of the Royal Tank Regiment have paused their march at Winsor, en route to the south coast. Major General Cambridge pulled some strings and was given permission to “borrow” two squadrons for a couple of days, in order to support an armoured thrust at Maidenhead. The Royalists have to move quickly, the tank commander is under strict instructions that he may only “detour” his march to the coast for 48 hours. None of the regular infantry companies are immediately available, so the tanks are supported by BUF militia. This should not be a problem as the “Reds” are not expected to be able to stand up to a strong force of armour!


The initial plan is to swing south of Maidenhead and cut the railway line into the town. The following day the armour will attack northwards to link up with an infantry attack by the regulars of the Windsor Garrison. As the Royalists approach the hamlet of Farleighs, their scouts bring word that a mobile column of “Reds” are moving south to try and block them. The scouts also claim that the enemy have tanks with them, but this is probably an exaggeration. All the MDPPC have are a few old armoured cars and improvised armoured trucks.





The MDPPC forces deploy within 50cm of the Northern road entrance in turn 1. They do not need to remain on the road. Their orders are to block the advance of the enemy forces.


The Royalist units must all enter on the road from the Eastern edge. They can only move along the road, they cannot leave the road until they are within 30cm of a visible enemy unit, or until a Royalist unit has come under fire.

Their orders are to secure the Western road exit and move at least half their tanks off table from this point.


The battlefield from the Eastern edge looking west.

The battlefield viewed from the East.


The stream is fairly shallow and counts as a linear obstacle to infantry and tracked vehicles, but is impassable to wheeled transport.





Enter Turn 2

 HQ (CV8)

3 x Bedford Armoured Cars


HQ (CV8)

3 x Vickers Mk VI light tanks


Enter Turn 3

 CO (CV9)


HQ (CV8)

3 x A9 tanks

3 x A10 tanks


HQ (CV 7)

6 x Militia Infantry

6 x Horses (transport)


HQ (CV8)

2 x Vickers Mk II medium tanks


HQ (CV 7)

6 x Militia Infantry

6 x Trucks (transport)





CO (CV9)


HQ (CV7)

8 x Militia Infantry

8 x Trucks

2 x Armoured car (with AT rifles)


HQ (CV8)

4 x Regular Infantry

1 x MMG

5 x Motorcycles


HQ (CV8)

2 x 75mm Field gun

2 x Horse limbers


HQ (CV8)

2 x Vickers E type B tanks

1 x 47mm portee


HQ (CV7)

2 x 75mm Field gun

2 x Horse limbers


HQ (CV7)

2 x Lewis gun section

1 x Anti-tank section

1 x Armoured truck with MG

2 x Armoured trucks

Battle Report



The Royalist advance was slow, the initial units only making one move onto the table. By comparison the MDPPC flew forward to take up their positions. The militia infantry got into the hamlet and debussed, while  the tanks and 47mm gun took up a hull down position on the hill overlooking Farleighs, The two artillery batteries also advanced, one remaining to the north of Farleighs and the other headed off towards a walled field by the western road junction.


Royalist scouts moving forward.



The Royalist armoured cars continued to crawl forward, despite all the tanks arriving behind them, causing a tail back along the length of the road as their commander felt like tearing his hair out! This delay allowed the MDPPC to take up their final positions, with the militia in the houses of Farleighs, the armour on the hill behind them and a battery behind a stone wall covering the southern approaches to the hamlet. However the battery assigned to the northern side of the hamlet failed to move.

 MDPPC militia reach the hamlet



At last the Royalist armoured cars did their job, rushed close to Farleighs and spotting their enemy, Passing word back up the line at least meant that the Royalist were able to move off the road. The mounted militia forded the stream and started to swing to the north of the hamlet. The armoured cars were joined by the light tanks in the centre, but the rest of the armour only crawled forward once again. The other militia unit stayed in their trucks which meant that they could only cross the stream by the bridge, so were currently held back at the rear of the tank column. With mounted infantry and armour closing in the Socialist 75mm guns caught in the open quickly unlimbered and started firing. Expecting to only last a couple of turns before being over-run, they started well by destroying the lead armoured car.

 Socialists go hull down


TURN 4-5

The Royalist had huge problems with all the militia failing to move. The armoured crammed themselves into a narrowing gap in front of Farleighs. The Socialist militia in the buildings were too hard to winkle out without infantry support, so the tanks had to bypass the buildings. The 75mm guns in the open somehow stayed alive, mainly because the enemy tanks kept blocking each other’s line of sight so they could not concentrate their fire power. The guns kept firing and took out the other two armoured cars. The Tank Regiment armour now moved to the south of Farleighs where the MDPPC armoured cars made a gallant stand with their anti-tank rifles but were swiftly destroyed. An attempt by a Vickers light tank to get close to the 75’s brought it into range of the armour and anti-tank gun on the hill and it was blown to pieces.

 BUF mounted militia ford the stream


TURN 6-7

For the Royalists the centre had turned into a stalemate. They were exchanging fire with the 75s at long range, reluctant to get too close and move into range of the tank killers on the hill. The attempt to swing south of the hamlet had brought them into sight of the other 75mm battery, who were successful in suppressing any tank that came into range. The militia got out of their trucks but otherwise failed to move either. The mounted unit however, seemed to have shaken the lead out and rushed up close to the defiant battery of 75s.


 75mm guns in position


TURN 8-9

At this point the Royalist commander took leave of his senses, instead of dismounting the BUF militia charged the guns whilst still mounted. They had obviously forgotten their Tennyson, but the gunners were keen to stage a rerun of Balaclava and “Volley'd & thunder'd”. The militia in the houses also poured rifle fire into the horseman’s flanks. By the time the BUF had pulled back they were down to one stand. The MDPPC tanks moved forward to engage the Royalist armour, destroying the last light tank. To the south the tanks killed a MDPPC militia stand, but in return the second battery took out one of the A9s. The other Royalist militia started moving forward, only to lose their leading stand to massed firing from the houses.



Having run out of targets the MDPPC tanks turned their attention on the Tank Regiment, destroying an A10. However they promptly lost one of the tanks to a blunder roll! They Royalist jubilation was short lived as the 75s destroyed another A9. The Royalists had now exceeded their Break Point by three stands. At the start of Turn 11 they failed their command roll and quit the field.