- disk drive: computer hardware that holds and spins a magnetic or optical disk and reads and writes information on it
- A high-capacity, self-contained storage device containing a read-write mechanism plus one or more hard disks, inside a sealed unit. Also called hard disk drive
- Hard Drive is the debut album from York rock band The Sorry Kisses, which was released on April 28, 2008. The album has been created as an outlet for Hayley Hutchinson's louder songs, which contrast with her usual acoustic style.
- A hard disk drive (hard disk, hard drive, HDD) is a non-volatile storage device for digital data. It features one or more rotating rigid platters on a motor-driven spindle within a metal case. Data is encoded magnetically by read/write heads that float on a cushion of air above the platters.
- Make good (such damage) by fixing or repairing it
- restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken; "She repaired her TV set"; "Repair my shoes please"
- the act of putting something in working order again
- Fix or mend (a thing suffering from damage or a fault)
- Put right (a damaged relationship or unwelcome situation)
- a formal way of referring to the condition of something; "the building was in good repair"
- A thing used in an occupation or pursuit
- drive; "The convertible tooled down the street"
- A device or implement, esp. one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function
- A person used or exploited by another
- an implement used in the practice of a vocation
- instrument: the means whereby some act is accomplished; "my greed was the instrument of my destruction"; "science has given us new tools to fight disease"
Fixing a Powerbook G4
The hard drive on my husband's second-hand Powerbook G4 died the other day. A friend had a spare hard drive, so I figured I would try to swap it out.
After 4 days of unscrewing screws, borrowing tools from friends, taking a hammer to a stripped screw to try to get it out, and finally resorting to a Dremel (don't ask) we discovered the borrowed hard drive was the wrong connector type and we would have to duct tape it in.
So we gave up and went to the Apple Store to get a shiny new MacBook. Happy Valentine's Day honey!
11-a: Remove the Hard Drive
remove a single screw (below the RAM cavity). slide out the HDD by it's plastic cover (rock back and forth, no tools required). Set the hard drive and connected cover aside along with the single screw you removed.