Our History

Growing in God's Love for 85 Years

Good Hope was formed by people led by the Holy Spirit to join in mission and ministry
on the 16th day of November in 1929. Please read a brief history of our home...





July 14, 1929
 ... ground breaking was held on the corner of Southern Blvd. and Homestead Drive for this pre-fabricated chapel donated to us by Good Hope Lutheran of Oil City, PA. It was shipped by rail in 193 bundles, 2 boxes and 1 keg, costing $2,466.

October 20, 1929 ... the mission chapel was dedicated, and one week later its first worship service was held with 85 attending and 60 at Sunday School. It was our church home until 1950, serving us for 23 years.



August 5, 1950... ground was broken for a larger more permanent building. The portable chapel was dismantled and given to Redeemer Lutheran Church in Missouri. During construction the congregation would meet for worship services and Sunday School at the Newport Theater.

April 20, 1952 ... the new sanctuary is dedicated. It took only 20 months for the new sanctuary and Fellowship Hall to replace the portable chapel.

September 25, 1960 ... the Education Unit is dedicated. This building project took 14 months to complete and came only 8 years after the completion of the new sanctuary.

January 21, 1968 ... was the dedication of our stained glass windows. The glass for the windows, depicting the Life of Christ, was made in Florence, Italy.

September, 1969 ... Our first Preschool Nursery program is opened.

January 11, 1976 ... the remodeled sanctuary and south entry are dedicated.

April 1, 1980 ... the stainless steel Anchor Cross, the symbol of Good Hope, is designed, cast & hung by Albert C. Rusnak.

February 4, 2001 ... the remodeled education unit, west entry and Fellowship Hall are dedicated. The $924,000 project took only 6 months and included an elevator, ramps and rest rooms to enable the handicapped to access our home. Also the addition of central air conditioning, redesigning our parlor, adding more class rooms and redecorating the entire inside of our home.

April 11, 2002 ... GoodHopeBoardman.org is born, our own independent website offering anyone on the worldwide web up to date information about our church, its groups and organizations. Also offering an Current Events Calendar, online Newsletter and online permission slips for our youth activities.

September 2003 ... Good Hope Preschool and Childcare began offering all-day childcare. Our weekday pre-school program is based upon Christian principles with a strong emphasis given to an attitude of love, sharing, and sensitivity to the needs of others.

September 7, 2004 ... our new Preschool playground opened giving our students an enjoyable place for outdoor activities.

November 14, 2004 ... our 75th Anniversary Celebration .... what a great success. We enjoyed a mid-morning service, dinner, entertainment and a presentation of the 75th Anniversary Plaque to the Congregation by Bishop Miller. Also our gift of $7500 was presented to new mission start in North Ridgeville, Ohio.

Jan. 27, 2008 ... Turning our hearts and minds to where God leads, we formed a Long Range Planning team. With the help of the congregation, they documented our Core Beliefs, Core Values, and Vision Statement that were adopted

2009 ... we were blessed to receive an estate gift from Dorothy Myers of $352,168. After waiting, praying and researching, the money was used to refurbish our stained glass windows, and to purchase two adjacent properties. We also purchased a new outdoor digital sign on the corner of Homestead Dr. and Southern Blvd. and updated the sanctuary with new chancel lighting, a sound booth, and a new microphone and sound system including a Listens System which aids the hearing impaired.

June 5, 2011 ... Our organist Gladys Melnick was honored with an anniversary dinner on for her 50 years of service.

June 17, 2012 ... Susan Wessner resigned and was honored with a farewell dinner for her 14 years of service.

September 23, 2012 ... we concluded the discernment process that was initiated in September 2009. At a special Congregational meeting, A second required vote was taken on a proposed resolution to withdraw membership from the ELCA and to join the North American Lutheran Church (NALC). That resolution stated, "We believe the NALC will be a better match with our core values and how we align our daily living with the Bible. And because of this, the NALC will be a better match for traditional Biblical education, mission to the world, and sharing the gospel of repentance and salvation through Jesus Christ."

October 18, 2012 ... we were received into membership of the NALC.

2013 ... Good Hope Preschool & Childcare closed, and Youngstown Christian School began operating a separate preschool and childcare in our building.

2013 and 2014 ... we added new staff and once again the Trust Fund was instrumental. Three new positions; Director of Christian Education, Youth Director, and Lay Ministry Assistant, were added to the ministry team. Moving forward, we were accepted into the NALC's pilot program, partnering with The Navigators to focus on Jesus' call for his followers to make disciples. Good Hope understands that every baptized believer is called to be a disciple who is trained and nurtured to make disciples of others.

In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we pray that Good Hope Lutheran Church will continue to be a lighthouse to those who are searching for God, a grace filled presence to the broken, and a source of encouragement to the weary. 

Ċ
Good Hope,
May 4, 2016, 7:32 AM