History

Since 1931 we have thrived in the heart of the historic town of Coloma. Here, James Marshall discovered gold in January, 1848, setting off the largest gold rush in history. Within a year, Coloma became a bustling town of 10,000 fortune seekers. By the 1860s the town gained a new, quieter persona as a transportation and agricultural center. Orchards and vineyards dominated the Coloma landscape. Prize winning peaches, pears and wines found ready markets as far away as Virginia City. This agricultural legacy thrives to this day. Some of the early farm and ranch families who are still part of the Grange have been here since the Gold Rush years.
Old photo of the Grange Hall 
The Grange functions at national, state and local levels. The national organization, America’s first agricultural fraternity, was originally established in 1867 as a grass roots effort after the Civil War. Through the Grange, farmers helped to heal the divisiveness that followed this conflict. Membership boomed to over 800,000 by 1875; the early organization worked to regulate railroad transportation costs, improve farming practices, and implement Rural Free Delivery. The Grange is nonpartisan, and only supports policies, never political parties or candidates. Women have been equal members since the inception of the organization.

In March of 2011, the Gold Trail Grange grew from a handful of dedicated members to a revitalized and active membership of 106, and continues to grow each month!  The members of the Grange in Coloma are currently shaping the way this rejuvenated Hall fits into the present day environment of the Coloma-Lotus community.