Photo and Document Restoration

After Katrina we had many wet family photo albums, the process on this wikiHow is similar to what we did with the wet photos. This was just the beginning. Keeping photos, books and other paper items wet or frozen (to provide more time to restore) is very important. Freezing the documents or photos stops deterioration and mold growth until you can work with them. Also, vinyl albums (LP’s), some of us remember these,  should be separated or frozen as soon as possible. The paper album cover will degrade into the grooves on the album and it is very difficult to clean the album after the paper has emulsified.


The links below are also a good resource for document restoration and conservation. They apply to institutions but there are very good takeaways to help preserve wet items until a remedy can be determined.


The link below is also a good resource for document restoration.

--Don Landry

Salvaging flood damaged documents and photos:
From the National Archives, an overview of things to keep in mind when salvaging flood-damaged family papers:

Resources for Individuals Affected by Flooding
How to register with FEMA, apply for SBA loans, register for home clean up and more from the Louisiana Office of the Governor:

Resources for Non-Profits:
Public Assistance is available to cultural institutions, historic sites, and other private nonprofits (PNPs).
The following parishes have a deadline of October 15:
Acadia, Ascension, Avoyelles, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Vermilion, Washington, and West Feliciana
The following parishes have a deadline of October 1:
Assumption, Cameron, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, and West Baton Rouge
To submit a Request for Public Assistance, provide the following:
Submit the application packet using one of the following methods:
For questions, you may contact your State Applicant Liaison. To find your liaison, view the map at Click on your region. Call the person listed below Melvin Smith’s name.
Governmental entities: State, local, or tribal government libraries, museums, archives, and all other collecting institutions open to the general public may apply to FEMA as part of their state, local, or tribal government’s application to FEMA for debris removal, permanent repairs and/or collections stabilization.
--Baton Rouge/Lafayette ARMA Chapter