Welcome to Glenboig Memories.
Where is Glenboig?
The name is pronounced locally as 'Glinboag', or if you have a sense of humour, 'Glumboag'! The village is situated ten miles from Glasgow, about four miles from Coatbridge, and is in the North Lanarkshire Council district. At one time it was actually situated in three different parishes - Old Monkland, New Monkland and Cadder. Genealogists will discover this when researching their Glenboig roots.
How did Glenboig get it's name?
Rev. Sandy Fraser, Minister of Glenboig Parish Church from 1985 to 2009, writing in 'The Story of Glenboig Parish Church 1889-1989' says Glenboig came from two words which meant 'soft mossy glen'. He also writes:-
"Glenboig was probably called, at one time, Garnqueen and that name still survives in the form of the signal box on the railway that runs through Glenboig. Indeed on the opening of one railway station the name given was Garnqueen. However, with the development of the fireclay industry, and the adoption by the proprietors of the name Glenboig (from the adjacent farm of that name) the older name has been superseded.
John Hillcoat [who first started The Glenboig Works in 1836] used the name on his bricks although the name of the place at the time was probably Garnqueen. Such was the fame of his bricks that people started calling the place Glenboig which is rather unusual, in that normally a product takes its name from the place rather than the place taking its name from the product. It has to be said, however, that the name Glenboig is probably older than the name Garnqueen, as there was a farm of the name Glenboig, before the clay works started. It is probable that Hillcoat took the name Glenboig from the farm as his works were started on the land that at one time belonged to the farm."
Approaching the question of the Glenboig name, and some other local names, from looking at maps of the area, Peter Drummond and Allan Smith write a few brief paragraphs on the topic in 'Coatbridge - Three Centuries of Change'.
"The name 'Glenboig' does not appear on the oldest maps of this area, the first reference being on the 1800 Gartsherrie estate plan, where there is an indication of the adjacent 'estate of Glenbog', a name very suggestive of the boggy, poorly-drained nature of the area. 'Marnock' on the northern shores of Garnqueen Loch, is a much older name, and one that will ring bells in other parts of Scotland: Marnoch parish in Banffshire, Kilmarnock in Ayrshire, and Meikle Earnock in Hamilton, share the same origin, that of an ancient saint's name (St. Earnoc or Mernoc). Nearby Inchneuk Farm derives from this same name, since on Blau's 1650 map it appears as Inchnock: the prefix 'Inch' is Scots for an 'island', suggesting that the low hill on which it stands was virtually that, in a surrounding 'sea' of marsh and peat bog. [Inchneuk is pronounced locally as Inchney]
The name 'Passover Cottage' was by no means the whimsical choice of religiously-minded inhabitants, but rather appears to be an attempt to draw a polite veil over an old name. For on Roy's map of 1750, and on the aforementioned Gartsherrie plan, the farm is clearly labelled 'Pishour': to a modern ear this sounds slightly risible and whether the change to 'Pashours' in Forrest's 1817 map is an attempt to spare blushes we do not know. The change from the latter name to 'Passover' completed the transition which has lasted to the present time.
One name that has changed in the eighty years since our map extract  is Ramoan. On Blau's map it was 'Ramont' on Roy's 'Rammon' on the Gartsherrie plan 'Ramoan', on Forrest's map 'Rockrimmon'. The late 19th century name 'Rawmoan' might suggest some connection with the adjacent lands of Raw estate, which were patchworked over the area from here to Dunbeth Hill... be that as it may, by the mid 20th century, the form of the name had reverted to that of the early 19th."
Fraser, Rev. Sandy B.D., Dip. Min. The Story of Glenboig Parish Church 1889-1989 Published by Printwell & Craigs Ltd. 1989
Source: Croy Historical Society Library.
Drummond, Peter and Smith James. Coatbridge - Three Centuries of Change Published by Monklands Library Services Department p.58
1. Old Glenboig Road Sign: Croy Historical Society Image Library
2. Glenboig Map 1913 NLC Archives - Airdrie Library
Note: North Lanarkshire Council Archives provided many of the photographs of Glenboig used on this website. The Archives hold a substantial amount of material on Glenboig which can be viewed and purchased by members of the public. NLC Archives, Learning & Leisure Services, North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre, High Road, Motherwell, ML1 3HU. Tel: 01698 524712/274597