Module Goals: To become familiar with types, uses, advantages and disadvantages of e-readers, and to outline a simple plan to circulate e-readers in the participant’s library.
This Week's Objectives:
At the end of this module, learners will be able to:
1. Describe the role e-readers may have in medical libraries.
2. Analyze how e-readers compare to print and online books.
3. Compare e-readers and select the one which best meets the needs of library users.
4. Create a budget for an e-reader pilot project.
5. Choose resources to load on e-readers for an e-reader pilot project.
6. Outline circulation policies for an e-reader pilot project.
7. Reflect on how what was learned in the module can impact the participant’s work.
Find all links listed below at: http://www.delicious.com/stacks/view/M0YOr4
Ø Skim Pew Internet's report “E-reader Ownership Doubles in Six Months”: http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media/Files/Reports/2011/PIP_eReader_Tablet.pdf
Ø Look over an E-reader Comparison Chart with links to reviews:
E-readers and E-books in Libraries
Ø Read how libraries are circulating e-books and/or e-readers:
Ø A reading list of issues with e-books and e-readers in libraries: http://www.alatechsource.org/blog/2011/07/a-fantastic-reading-list-on-e-books-and-e-readers-in-libraries-from-sue-polanka.html
E-readers in Clinical Settings: Two Cases Studies Using Kindles
Ø Briefly explore “The Kindled Library” Wiki at http://kindledlibrary.wetpaint.com, in which Duke and Texas A&M medical libraries document their projects with Kindle e-readers in clinical settings. These case studies are reported in:
Shurtz, S., & von Isenburg, M. (2011). Exploring e-readers to support clinical medical education: two case studies Journal of the Medical Library Association : JMLA, 99 (2), 110-117 DOI: 10.3163/1536-5050.99.2.002 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3066586/
Ø Based on the resources you’ve viewed, post your thoughts on the following questions:
1. Do you believe that e-readers have a possible role in medical libraries and if so, how?
2. What advantages or disadvantages might e-readers have over print or online books?
Topics week by week >