First of all, you will need a Google Account. If you have one already, you should log in with that account. If you don't, you can create an account on the same page you log into.
2. Once logged in you will see the Google Docs file manager.
3. Create your first folder by selecting the Create new text box. Click Folder.
4. Give your folder the name "Folder Practice" by clicking in the New Folder box at the top the page.
5. Choose any color for your folder in the box to the right.
6. Add the description "My practice folder".
7. Click Save.
8. Share your folder with a classmate by selecting My folders on the left hand side.
9. In the main part of the window, click the check box of your folder.
10. Click Share and then Sharing settings... from the drop down menu.
11. Add a collaborator by email entering their email in the text box labeled Add people:.
12. Set them to Can edit since you want to be able to work collaboratively with them.
13. Click Share. They will receive an email immediately with an invitation to work with you on the document.