- In 83.5% (2,087,500) of these successful gun defenses, the attacker either threatened or used force first, proving that guns are very well suited for self-defense.
- 90% of all violent crimes in the U.S. do not involve firearms of any type.
- Even banning guns does not slow down criminals. In the U.K., where private ownership of firearms is practically forbidden, criminals have and use guns regularly, and even build their own. One enterprising fellow converted 170 starter pistols to functioning firearms and sold them to gangs. Hundreds of such underground gun factories have been established, contributing to a 35% jump in gun violence
- Only 0.7% of convicts bought their firearms at gun shows. 39.2% obtained them from illegal street dealers.
- Of the 2,500,000 times citizens use guns to defend themselves, 92% merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers.
- Less than 8% of the time does a citizen wound his or her attacker, and in less than one in a thousand instances is the attacker killed.
- For every accidental death, suicide, or homicide with a firearm, 10 lives are saved through defensive use.
- When using guns in self-defense:
• 83% of robbery victims were not injured.
• 88% of assault victims were not hurt.
• 76% of all self-defense use of guns never involve firing a single shot.
- After the implementation of Canada’s 1977 gun controls prohibiting handgun possession for protection, the “breaking and entering” crime rate rose 25%, surpassing the American rate.
- “…most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police.”
- 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person.
- Police have trouble keeping their own guns. Hundreds of firearms are missing from the FBI and 449 of them have been involved in crimes.
- You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were: 119, resisting with a gun 6%, did nothing at all 25%, resisted with a knife 40%, non-violent resistance 45%
- Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% (192,500) are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse.
- When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% when unarmed.
- The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the benefits are smaller at 1.4 times more likely to receive a serious injury.
- In 1966, the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms training classes to women. Rapes dropped by nearly 90% the following year
- Deaths and injuries from mass public shootings fall dramatically after right-to-carry concealed handgun laws are enacted. Between 1977 and 1995
the average death rate from mass shootings plummeted by up to 91% after such laws went into effect, and injuries dropped by over 80%.