GARIMELLA BALAKRISHNA PRASAD
TIRUPATI, A.P., INDIA.
SERVICE IN THE FIELDS OF
ANNAMACHARYA, CLASSICAL AND LIGHT MUSIC
Name : GARIMELLA BALAKRISHNA PRASAD
Permanent Address : House No.18-1-662A, Bhavani Nagar, Tirupati-517 501. Telephone No. 0877-2255136
Date of Birth : 09-11-1948
Place of Birth : Rajahmandry, Andhra Pradesh (A.P)
Mother : Smt. Krishnaveni, Vocal and Violin Artiste.
Father : Garimella Narasimha Rao.Vaaggeyakara. (Lyric as well as music Composer cum Singer). Author of Sangeetha Swara Saahitya Samputi which was published with the aid of Government of Andhra Pradesh, in 1974.
Academic Qualifications : B.A. (With Modern Telugu Language) from Dr. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad in the year 1992.
Technical Qualifications : 1. Diploma in Carnatic Classical Vocal Music in Honours division from Technical Education Department of Andhra Pradesh Government in 1978. 2. All India Radio artiste in Light Music A-Grade. 3. All India Radio artiste in Carnatic Classical Vocal in B - High Grade.
Gurus (Teachers) : Learnt basics from Parents. Later - mainly from who taught music 1) Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. Nedunuri Krishna Murthy, 2) Professor D. Pasupathi and 3) .Padmavibhushan. Dr. M. Bala Murali Krishna
Employment : Worked as Special Grade Vocal Artiste in Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. Annamacharya Project, Tirupati, from 1978 to 2006.
Music Programmes Presented :
1) With in India
So far 5000 (Five Thousand) Music Concerts were presented. Some worth mentionings:-
- Singing before the then President of India Sri Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy in 1979 on Tirumala Hills During his visit.
- Singing before the then Governer of Bihar Sri Pendekanti Venkata Subbaiah and some other special invites in Bihar State Raj Bhavan in the yera 1985.
- Singing before Sri Sankar Dayal Sarma the then Vice President of India during his visit to Pondichery in the year 1990, and also many a times before him on Tirumala Hills during his visits as President of India.
2) U.S.A. Tour :
Visited U.S.A. in the year 1997 September to Novermber and presented 24 Music Concerts exclusively with Annamacharya Sankeerthnas (unlike others) in places Chicago, Washington, Pittsburg, Houston, Boston, Detroit, Memphis, Columbus, St.Lauis, Los Angels, Fresno, Livermore, Sacramento, Riverside, Malibu, Sandiego, Pasadena, Los Vegas, Sunny Vale, Atlanta, Austin, Philadelphia and Lemont. Sri Annamacharya Project of North America (SAPNA) of Chicago of America (SVASA) were the Organisations who arranged the tour.
- Published 8 (eight) Books through T.T.D., Covering 200 Sankeerthans with musical notation - mostly with the songs set to tune by him self.
- In the year 1993 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA SWARA SAMPUTI..
- In the year 1997 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA MANJARI.. (Tamil).
- In the year 1999 - ..ANNAMAYYA NRUSIMHA SANKEERTHANAM.. (With selected Sankeerthanas on Lord Nrusimha, as first of its kind).
- In the year 2000 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA SAURABHAM..
- In the year 2001 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA RATNAVALI.
- In the year 2001-..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA SWARAVALI. (Tamil).
- In the year 2003 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA PRADHAMIKA..
- In the year 2004 - ..ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA MAHATHI..
- B) Published through Mahati Kala Kendram, Tirupati - .ANNAMAYA SANKEERTHANA
- SANJEEVI. (Musical Notation in Telugu Script) in 2009.
Audio / Video Recordings
Released so for, more than 100 Audio / Video CDs covering more than 400 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas on behalf of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams and other companies such as .Aditya., .Sangeetha., .Prasar Bharathi. etc.
MENTIONABLES AS .RECORDS.
- Recognition as an artiste capable of singing nearly 1000 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas.
- Singing Annamacharya Sankeerthans altogetehr in 200 Ragas - In Classical, Light music and folk music styles.
- Composed music to more than 600 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas in nearly 150 Ragas - in all styles of South Indian Music.
- So far released more than 100 cassettes / C.D.s Covering nearly 400 Annamacharya Sankeerthana in his Voice, to be considered as highest number compartively.
- Introduced a uniqe musical feast namely .SANKEERTHANA YAGNAM. scheduled to perform Sankeerthanas at least for Seven days presenting not less than 216 all together. So far performed for 7 times- in Visakhapattanam (1997), Vijayawada (1999), Tirupati (With record number of 300 songs) (2003), Hyderabad (2007), Vijayawada (2008) and Hyderabad (2009) and Kakinada (2011).
Mentionable special programmes through channels like SVBC (Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel); BHAKTI TV, Door Darsan (SAPTHAGIRI) and MAA TV.
- ANNAMAYA SANTKEERTHANA LAHARI. special feature with the narration of Padma Bhushan, Gnanapeeth Awardee Dr. C. Narayana Reddy - featured for six months with 25 episodes in Door Darshan, Sapthagiri Channel.
- HARI SANKEERHANAM. which was featured since 2008 in Bhakti TV in which Annamacharya Songs or taught every week (It is a RECORD work teaching through channel for more than two and half years.)
- ANNAMAYYA SWARARCHANA. a special feature with 108 episodes being telecast by SVBC (Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel of TTD, Tirupati) in which sharing the experience in compositing music to Annamacharya Songs and the specialities in those musical compositions, running from November 2009 (it is RECORD work of its kind).
- Participation as a student, in .NAADOPASANA. a special feature intended to popularise Annamacharya Songs conducted by Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy.
- Participation as an anchor in .NAADAYOGI. a special feature to cover the ideas and experience of Dr. Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy in composing music to Annamacharya Sankeerthanas.
CONTRIBUTION AS A TEACHER
More than 50 students were trained by Balakrishna Prasad through T.T.Ds 2 years Scholarship training scheme. Sri G. Madhusudan Rao, Sri B. Raghunath, Smt. K. Visalakshi, Sri Uday Bhaskar, Sri Saraswathi Prasad, Sri Parameswaraiah etc., working now in T.T.D. are some of such trained artists. Smt. N.C. Sridevi, Chaitanya Brothers, Smt. R. Bullemma T.T.D.) who are popular in singing Annamacharya Songs are also specially trained by Sri Prasad.
TITLES AND FELICITATIONS
- Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD), Tirupati, ASTHANA VIDWAN appointment on 16th November, 2012.
- ASTHANA SANGEETHA VIDWAN. of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, Title was awarded on 8-10-2010.
- ANDHRA PRADESH GOVERNMENT UGADI PURASKARAM. by the Department of Cultural Affairs, A.P. Government in the year 2007.
- ANNAMACHARYA SANKEERTHANA MAHATI Title awarded by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams and Academy of Fine Arts, Tirupati, jointly on 13-02-2001 in appreciation or having perfonned Sankeerthana Yagnam with 300 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas (A unique feet), for ten days on single dias.
- POTTISRIRAMULU TELUGU UNIVERSITY Hyderabad honoured as the .BEST MUSICIAN for the year 2009. (Visista Puraskaram) on 22-12-2010.
- BAADAM MAADHAVA RAO GUPTA BHAGAVATAR SMAARAKA PURASKARAM. awarded to Sri Prasad by Abhyudaya Foundation, Kakinada in the year 2006.
- RAJALAKSHMI FOUNDATION SPECIAL AWARD., awarded by Rajalakshmi Foundation, Chennai in the year 2010.
- ANNAMAYYA NADA JYOTHI Title awarded in 1997 at California, U.S.A., by SVASA (Sri Venkateswara Annamacharya Society of America), in appreciation for the service rendered to propogate Annamacharya Sankeerthanas all over India and abroad.
- SRI ANNAMACHARYA VIDWANMANI Title awarded in 1997 at Chicago, U.S.A by SAPNA (Sri Annamacharya Project of North America), in appreciation for the long service rendered in propogation of Annamacharya Sankeerthanas all over India and abroad.
- LAKSHAGALAARCHANA SARADHI. title received Suryapeetham, Parvathipuram, Vizianagaram District in 2009 during Gurupoornima Festival.
- SIMHA THALATA. Purashkar (Golden Bangle like ornament with the face of lion) from Pa. Pa. Swamy Sri Bhuvaneswar Narayanashrama Guru Peetham, Hyderabad during Sankeerthana Yagnam Festival at Vijayawada, A.P. in 2008.
- ENCHANTING SINGER Title awarded by the Delhi Telugu Academy in 2001.
- MASTER M.N. AWARD awarded by .The World Teachers. Trust. International Organisation of Visakhapatnam in the Year 1998.
- HARIKEERTHANACHARYA title presented by STATE BANK OF INDIA, Governorpet, Vijayawada in the year 2006.
- KANAKAABHISHEKAM (falicitation with Golden Flowers pouring on head in a traditional way) performed during Sankeerthana Yagna in July, 2007 at Vijayawada.
- SUVARNA GANDAPENDERAM. received from Sadguru Sri Krishna Yaji Garu on behalf of Suryapeetham at Garividi, Vizianagaram District in 2009 during Gurupoornima Festival.
- GANAKALA VISARADA Title awarded by the cultural wing of State Bank of India, Labbipet, Vijayawada, in connection with the successful rendering of Sankeerthana Yagnam for 7 days with 216 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas in the year 1999.
- ANNAMAYYA NAADA SUDHA SAMRAT Title awarded by .Annamayya Sankeerthanamrutha Varshini., Hyderabad in March 2003, Sankeerthana Yagnam.
- SPIRIT OF EXCELLENCE title awarded by the .The Academy of Fine Arts.Tirupathi in the year 1999.
- UTTAMA PURUSHA Title awarded by The Hosuru Andhra SamskrithikaSamithi,Hosuru (Tamil Nadu) in the year 2000.
- GURU SISHYA PURASKARAM Felicitated by .Raga Saptha Swara. of Hyderabad - The Guru Bala Krishna Prasad and his prime disciple Smt. N.C.Sree Devi of Tirupathi (SBI) in the year 1998.
- GHANTASALA LALITHA SANGEETHA PURASKARAM2005 Awarded by Sri Ghantasala Sangeetha Samsmarana Kalapeetham of Machilipatnam, AP.
- NANDAKI SRIGANDHA GANDHARWA. title received from Panchasya Sudharnavam, organisation of Hyderabad in the year 2006.
- USHASREE SAMSKRITI SATKARAM. by Ushasri Mission at Vijayawada in 2008.
- ANNAMAYYA SANKEERTANA SWARA VIRINCHI. title awarded by .Sujana Ranjani. Hyderabad in 2008.
- BEST MUSICIAN FOR 2010 AWARD. awarded by Sanathana Dharma Charitable Trust, Visakhapatnam, A.P. in April 2011, at Hyderabad.
- Dr. MANGALAMPALLI BALAMURALI KRISHNA SANGEETHA PRATHIBA PURASKARAM. awarded by Dr. Balamurali Krishna Sangeetha Sabha, Rajamundry, in July 2011.
- SANKEERTHANA GAANAPAYONIDHI. title awarded by R.J. Media, Hyderabad in August, 2011 at Hyderabad.
CLASSICAL MUSIC FIELD
Own Music Compositions
Balakrishna Prasad as one of the Vaaggeyakaras of 21st Century has composed more than 300 classical lyrics (.Krithis.) to his credit in Sanskrit and Telugu which include a few .Varnams. and .Thillanas..
a) Krtithis on Lord Sri Anjaneya (more than 40) which includes a Krithi in a New Raga created by himself and named as .Sundara Ranjani..
b) Krithis on Lord Sri Vinayaka (55 Nos)
c) Krithis on Nava Grahas (9 Nos)
d) Krithis on Lord Vishnu, Lord Siva, Goddess Srilakshmi, Goddess Parvathi, Goddess Saraswathi etc.
Sri Anjaneya krithi Mani Mala. with selected 21 own krithis on Lord Sri Anjaneya with musical notation. It is first of its kind in the field of carnatic music.
Recording of CDs...
1. .Classical Vocal. (1983) cassettee was produced by .Sangeetha. audio company.
2. Bhadrachala Ramadasu Keerthanalu (1998) produced by Sapthagiri audios.
3. Tyagaraja Pancharatnalu (1999) produced by Sapthagiri audios.
4. Sri Anjaneya Krithimani Mala (II Vol.) 1995.
5. Sangeethamritham (inclueds own lyrics) - 1999 produced by Sapthagiri audios.
Special Recording for AIR
It is a great honour to Balakrishna Prasad that Prasara Bharathi recorded some of his own krithis selected from .Sri Anjaneya Krithi Mani Mala. for a special recording in A.I.R. to keep them in NATIONAL ACHIEVES. The recording took place in 2004. Likewise nearly 25 Annamacharya Sankeerthanas were recorded for Prasara Bharathi Archieves, in 2004.
Creating New Ragas
Balakrishna Prasad has created some new ragas as a gift to the field of Carnatic music, like SUNDARA RANJINI, VAANI PRIYA, SANJEEVI, NATA HINDOLAM, SATYA PRIYA and he composed his own lyrics as well as set music to some Annamacharya Songs to stand as demonstration for the above ragas.
Balakrishna Prasd has composed so far nearly 400 light music songs (modern musical lyrics) in different categories such as love, devotion, patriotic, describing nature. He also composed music to number of lyrics of other contemporary poets like Dr. C. Narayana Reddy, Dr. B.R. Sastry, Sri Samavedam Shanmukha Sharma, Smt. Telikicherla Kandadai Seethamma etc.
Nearly 100 songs composed by him are recorded for All India Radio, Doordarshan, audio marketing companies like Sangeetha, Ajanta Fine Arts, Rishi Peetham etc.. Nearly 25 CDs are realeased so far covering his lyrics song by himself, by others like famous Cine Playback singers like Smt. S. Janaki, Sri S.P. Balasupramanyam, Smt. S.P. Sailaja, Smt. N.C. Sridevi, Smt. K. Vijayalakshmi and Smt. G. Radha. Quite a number of other poets. lyrics are sung by Sri Prasad and recorded. Some important recordings released by Balakrishna Prasad :
(1) KRISHNA RAVALI, (2) AYYAPPA GEETHIKASHTAKAM, (3) SRINIVASA PADA SANNIDHI, (4) SRI SHRIDISAI GEETHAMALIKA, (5) SRINIVASA ATHASUDHA, (6) SRI ANDAL SANKEERTHANA VAIBHAVAM, (7) SIVAPADAM, (8) SIVAJYOTHI, (9) KAILASA YANTHRAM, (10) PRABHO VENKATESA, (11) JAYA HANUMAN, (12) GOVINDA HE GOVINDA. (13) SIVAAMRUTHAM
80 songs are published in two volumes with the name KRISHNA RAVALI which are approved by All India Radio (Prasara Bharathi) for broadcasting and being sung by many light music singers.