Something of a Writer
I'm lucky enough to have been a pretty good writer for most of my life. I think it comes with the voracious reading appetite. As a child, I was always the kid whose writing got read out to the rest of the class -- if there are any teachers out there, that's a great motivator. In my late school days, I wanted to be a writer and I was about to get into journalism until fate intervened and pushed me into IT.
I always fancied myself as a novelist but somehow I never seem to find the time. Additionally, people seem to be more interested in my non-fiction works.
No writing page would be complete without a plug or two for my books (but they're free, except on Amazon which won't let me list them for free), so here goes;
A Christmas Story
This story certainly takes some inspiration from Monty Python but in fact the real inspiration was a bit of boredom while watching my kids school nativity play. I kept thinking of things that would liven it up and decided to write them down for the kids.
Other Creative Writing
- Pursuit - A very short story: I wrote this recently in answer to a short story challenge. It had to be less than one page long.
Don't expect Coleridge here, my poetry usually isn't deep and is mainly for fun and birthday cards.
- Stuff the Ethiopians: A bit of poetry I wrote for school back in the eighties. It's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but I guess it's probably pretty offensive these days. Our teacher told us to write about how we're predisposed to care when our friends suffer but we don't seem to notice the plight of starving children overseas.
- Happy Birthday Joey: A poem I wrote for my wife (Joanne)'s 41st Birthday.
Serious (Non-Fiction) Writing
Below are some non-fiction articles I've written for other purposes;
- First Things First: Togetherness: A Dad's Perspective on Marriage
- This article was number five in a series of articles by various parents in the special needs community. The articles were intended to raise awareness amongst special needs parents that they need to look after their own needs as well as those of their children.
- The Perfect Gift for a Man: From Two Perspectives
- This article was originally written as part of the Man-Week initiative in Australia. It was intended to encourage men to more openly display their emotions. It was quite a successful initiative and went on to be included a book called "The Perfect Gift for a Man" with all profits going to the Inspire Foundation. The second perspective was added for the book.