Photo Courtesy of The Adams Transcript
The Greylock Mills were built in 1804 and purchased in 1846. It was purchased by Messrs, McLellan, and Hunter & Co. This mill was the first cotton mill to be built in North Adams. The mill started with ten acres of land and a single wooden mill to start production. The president of the Greylock Mills was Wellington Smith and the Vice-President was C.T. Plunkett. These two men also had help from William Brown Plunkett, treasurer, and W.C. Plunkett, Agent of the company. However, William Brown Plunkett helped the mill in the most ways. The mill contained 57, 000 spindles and 1,220 looms and from this the mills produced about $400,00.00. Awhile after the continuous production of cotton, a corporation was formed in 1880 with the Pittsfield President, Theodore Pomeroy, for the manufacture of ginghams. The Greylock Mills had now enlarged quite a bit and helped the city's economy by producing cotton cloth.
Copyright April 2008