St. Andrew's Church ( The 'English Church')- SITE

Next to Memorial Cottage is the site of  St. Andrew's Episcopal Church and hall, which formed the was situated at the corner of LOCHEND ROAD and WOODNEUK ROAD


In 1895, with the number of English people having moved into Gartcosh, and encouraged by the 'Works' management, the Rector of St. John's in Coatbridge began holding mission services in the village Reading Rooms.
By 1897 the first Episcopal church was built, constructed of corrugated tin. The 'Tin Church' was sited where the present school playground is.

With increasing membership, thoughts were given to establishing a more permanent construction- additionally, the school next door was looking to expand with a rising roll.  Negotiations between both the Church and School authorities started in 1903 and concluded eventually in 1912.

On December 20, 1913 the Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs. Herbert Beard, who was presented with a silver mounted mallet by D. Walton, Architect. The building was completed in 1914.

The Church continued to thrive and in 1925 a hall was built.




IN THIS WEDDING PHOTOGRAPH FROM 1938 , Memorial Cottage, The Church Hall and the Church can be seen









The stained glass windows in the church were erected in memory of Norman Moybray. Mr. & Mrs. Thomas McCreight, Mr. & Mrs. Herbert Beard and daughter.

In 1936, Rev. G.W. Gunn was appointed,  permission was given to rent 5, Manor Road, and a telephone was installed to assist him go about his business - one of the first telephones in the village.

During WW2, an air raid shelter was constructed in the ground next to the church (in Woodneuk Road) and it was agreed that, spare ground along from the shelter would be made available for allotment gardens - at an annual rent equivalent to 5p.

Membership and the finances of the church declined gradually in the post-war years. By 1967, consideration was given to disposing of the spare ground (air raid shelter site) and also the church hall. In 1974, agreement was reached to sell the hall for demolition.

The church finally closed in 1994 and sold for development - it was eventually demolished in 1997 and the congregation amalgamated with St. Paul & St. John in Airdrie.