Gartcairn 1998's
Gartcairn 98's are part of the Gartcairn Youth Academy and play in the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth Under 14 Youth Football League and at this age group play competitive 11 a side football. The boys are shown below with their new strips ahead of their first match of 2012 against Balloch Eastfield



Visit the following website for details of the league, matches and more information:-

Most players within the team live within the Airdrie/Coatbridge area, and as such we try to provide training areas within the local vacinity, and most games are also played in the Airdrie/Coatbridge/ Cumbernauld area. Our home park is Airdrie Academy, whilst training takes place at Airdrie Academy on a Monday and Thursday night at present and moving to St Margaret's High School astroturf park both nights when the darker nights move in, between 6pm and 8pm.
The coaches, Robert Stormonth and Alex Laurieston have both completed SFA youth coaching to level 3 standard and are fully disclosed  under Disclosure Scotland.
Goal chart 2011-12
Paul Kilfedder 38
Connor Parsons 15
Jim McLung 12
Aiden O'Hare, David Rankin 9
Kyle Renicks, Jack Wood, Matt Gill 6
Daniel Campbell 5
Scott McIlwraith 4
Callum Sutherland 3
Daniel McKendry, Ryan Lauriston 2
Alistair Smith - 1

Ewan Gill - 5
Latest news
Campsie champions!!!!  The boys went to Campsie to compete in the Campsie tournament on a hot Saturday morning. After a late withdrawal from one of the teams we had enough boys to enough 2 teams although it did mean that keeper Ewan Gill had to play for both teams so ended up playing 7 games!!
Game 1 involved the Gartcairn blacks - bad start as home team Campsie 99s won 2-0.
Game 2 saw the Gartcairn blues play well however lose 2-0 to Campsie 98s
Game 3 saw the Gartcairn Blacks stay in the tournament by beating Campsie 98s 1-0 thanks to a Stephen Taggart strike
Game 4 saw a battling performance from the gartcairn Blues to secure a 0-0 draw against the Campsie 99s
Game 5 was the blues v the blacks with the blacks securing entry to the final with a 2-0 win with goals from Stephen Taggart and David Rankin.
Game 6 was the 3rd v 4th play-off with a great performance from the blues giving them a 2-1 victory to secure 3rd place. Goals came from Barry Murray and Martin McBride.
Game 7 was the the final with the Gartcairn Blacks finishing the tournament as they started and seeking revenge against the team who had beaten them in the first match. The blacks dominated the match however it was Campsie who scored first. However with 5 minutes to go Jim McLung scored his goal since returning from injury and despite furrther opportunities the game went into penalties. All square after 5 it went into sudden death and a great save by Ewan Gill and final winning penalty by Ryan McGhie resulted in a great victory for the Gartcairnm Blacks!!!
Friendly at New Stevenson = another draw! Against top division opposition the boys played well and earned a 1-1 draw against New Stevenson in a friendly match at Kier Hardie Centre. Goalscorer was David Rankin with a fine finish from an acute angle. The game provide an opportunity to play some new players who all did well along with the existing group.
Presentation night sees Paul and Ewan win the awards - well done to Paul Kilfedder for winning Top Goalscorer and Players' Player of the Year and Top Goalscorer and to Ewan Gill for Club Player of the Year. Well to everyone for what was a much improved and enjoyable season.

Season fizzles out with another draw - On a heavy pitch at Airdrie Leisure Centre the boys took on Seafar in their final match of the league season. They dominated the first half however only went in 1-0 up thanks to a goal from centre half Scott Kilfedder, sorry Scott McIlwraith!! The domination continued in the second half however it was Seafar who equalised with a rebound from a great Ewan Gill save. Within minutes they were ahead after sloppy defending at a corner. The away team then tried to defend their lead with some time wasting and hard tackling for which they paid the price in the final minute when Scott M was scythed down in the box and Paul Kilfedder scored from the resultant penalty to give the boys a deserved draw. Another drawn match which should have been won - the story of the season!!
Players' Player of the Year - most of the votes have now been cast - join us at the presentation evening on Saturday evening to find out who has won!
Matt hits 4 as boys storm Carbrain - Matt Gill was the star of the show after hitting 4 goals. This included a super hat-trick in the first 15 minutes to give the team a commanding lead. Carbrain fought back however some resolute defending by the back 3 of Daniel, Scott and Cieran and goalkeeper Ewan meant gave the boys  3-0 interval lead. The boy started the second half brightly and a super 20 yard shot from Scott McIlwraith put them 4-0 ahead. A fourth goal followed for Matt gill and David Rankin completed the scoring. A late scare at the back threatened Ewan Gill's 5th shut-out of the season however some strong defending good goalkeeping kept the goal intact. Good to get back to winning ways and a good all round team performance.
Boys made to pay for missed chances - The team, with only 12 fit players, travelled to East Kilbride to play top of the table EK Thistle. Playing in an attacking 1-3-4-3 formation the boys had 4 great chances to score in the first 20 minutes and dominated their opponents. However it was EK who took the lead after slack marking and then added a second after the referee spotted a push on the back by Matt Gill and gave a penalty. The boys battled back in the second half however it was EK who scored 2 more goals. Scott Mcilwraith then fired in a brilliant 25 yard freekick and then Paul Kilfedder scored with a header to reduce the deficit to 4-2 - game on! A couple of further chances followed however there was to be no fairytale combat. An encouraging performance from he under strength team.
Good performance however boys lose out in semi final -  the boys were fired up for their semi final at ravenswood against a very strong Milan side, sitting near the top of the A division. Excellent effort from the first whistle was great to watch however an unfortunate "sliced" clearance by Scott McIlwraith saw the ball fly in to his own net from a corner. Milan doubled their lead before half-time with a well worked goal. The boys battled back however 2 further goals put Milan in a comfortable lead. The heads stayed up and the team had several chances to score before Milan scored a final 5th goal with a minute to go. The better team won however the boys were unfortunate to lose by such a wide margin.
Poor performance at Bellshill - expectations were high as after Monday's result at ravenswood however a disappointing display allowed the home team win 6-3. It was a case of too little too late as the boys mounted a comeback but only after going 5-0 down. 2 great free-kicks from that man Kilfedder and a shot from close range from Matt Gill were the Gartcairn goals.
Back to winning ways  - a super performance at the ravenswood playing fields in cumbernauld against a much improved Seafar team. The commitment and effort was there from the first whistle on a sodden pitch after a downpour just before lick-off. After missing several chances it was top scorer Paul Kilfedder who fired in the winner with 5 minutes to go - a super 25 yard free-kick. Well done also to Ewn Gill for his fourth shut-out of the season.
Connor suffers foot fracture -  We wish Connor Parsons a speedy recovery from the foot fracture he suffered at training on Monday night. Hoping for a speedy return!!!
Better performance but another 3-1 defeat at Falkirk -  the boys didn't wake up until 15 minutes into the game and by that time were 2-0 down. They battled back and deservedly got a goal back from a Kilfedder penalty after David Rankin was brought down. As the team chased the equaliser Grahamston scrambled a third goal on the break and the game was over. Another close match and an improved performance from last week.
Boys lose out to Queenzieburn - After a good first half the boys failed to turn up in the second half and went down 3-1 to a strong Queenzieburn team. The Gartcairn goal came from a fine effort by David Rankin. Not much between the teams however the opposition took their chances 
Rosebank gain revenge -  our old foes from Kirkie gained revenge for an earlier defeat and defeated the boys by 4-2 in a disappointing performance. Goals on the night came from Kilfedder x 2. 
Good show gives league leaders a fright -  the boys put up a great performance against the league leaders and were unfortunate not to hold on to a victory. First half  was goalless with both defences on top on a bumpy and sandy pitch. David Rankin opened the scoring direct from a corner kick and this sparked an exciting second 35 minutes. EK equalised and then alistair smith celebrated his first goal for the club to put the gartcairn boys in front, EK then hot a late equaliser to ensure a share of the points. A great fighting performance particularly from  the defence of Campbell, Gill, McMillan and Johnston.
Better show secures draw v Campsie- the boys had a chance for revenge against Campsie team who had beat them 3-0 at their own park a few weeks ago. On a sandy pitch at Airdrie Leisure Centre the boys started brightly but couldn't turn the possession into goals and it was the vistors who took the lead from a header by their their tall centre half from a corner. The score remained 1-0 until half-time however the team were on level terms after 5 minutes with a fine finish ffrom Callum Sutherland. Paul 

Kilfedder then gave the team a 2-1 lead. The boys were then on top and looking towards victory however an unfortunate mistake at the back left the Campsie centre forward with an oportunity to equalise which he took. Final score 2-2. specail mention to the defence who played solidly for most of the match with particular mention to Matt Gill and Daniel Campbell.
Disappointing result at Stepps - Not much between the 2 teams apart from a stronger desire to win from the home team led to a 5-3 defeat to Balloch Eastfield in the league. The home team took the lead after an unfortunate slip by Ewan Gill however Aiden O'Hare took advantage of a slip by the home goalkeeper to level the score. Two further bad goals lost before half-time gave the team an uphill struggle in the second half. The home team went further ahead early in the second half however the boys fought their way back and a goal from Paul Kilfedder reduced the deficit. Some fierce pressure was not converted to goals even when the home team were reduced to 10 men. This was the result of Alistair Smith being hacked down in the box as he was about to shoot with referee deeming the foul actually took place outside the box even though big Al landed on the penalty spot! One of a few controversial decisions against. Despite the pressure on the home goal it was the home team who scored on the break with 5 minutes to go. Paul Kilfedder scored a fine individual goal in the last minute to finish the scoring.
4 up however have to settle for draw -  The boys played their first home match for some weeks against a strong Grahamston team. After a good start by the visitors it Connor Parsons who latched on a through ball and finished well to give Gartcairn the lead. The boys gained confidence from this and with the defence on top looked the stronger team and it was no surprise when Parsons scored again with a super 20 yard shot that hit the post before rebounding off the away keeper and just rolling over the line. Early pressure in the second half saw Connor Parsons complete a super hat-trick and Matthew Gill score his first goal of the season to give the home team what should have been a comfortable victory. However Grahamston had other ideas and grabbed a lifeline with 20 minutes to go with a deflected shot that squeezed in to the corner of the goal. Within 10 minutes it was 4-4 with still 10 minutes to go. Both teams had chances to win the match in the closing minutes but no further goals were to follow. Full credit to the visitors for a storming fightback however this should really have been a victory for Gartcairn after getting into a winning position.

Boys go down to league leaders - The boys made the trip to the bottom of the Campsies for a match against league leaders Campsie. A few late call offs and a couple of late arrivals meant a rather chaotic build up hpwever come 10am we had 11 on the park just. Despite this the team competed well in the first half without making too many chances against a strong home defence, however fell behind to a Campsie strike after 20 minutes and 1-0 was the half-time score. Still in the game the team fought back looking for the equaliser however were missing the necessary spark in the final third and it was Campsie who grabbed the crucial second before adding a third to effectively kill off the game.  Credit to the boys for not giving up and a few chances were missed in last 10 minutes to reduce the deficit. Credit to Ewan Gill for saving a penalty with 5 minutes to go. We also wish Davis Rankin a speedy recovery from a nasty injury picked up in he last minute when a bad tackle caught him below the knee, a tackle for whch his opponent was shown a red card.
Gartcairn Festival - against stronger opponents in each of their matches the boys put up a good show and in particular in their first match against eventual winners Milan and final match against Riverside Reds. David Rankin was the sole goalscorer over the 5 matches.
Boys fight back and just miss out on victory - On a wet and muddy Queenzieburn pitch the boys started brightly playing up the hill and against the wind. A fine run and cross by Callum Sutherland was finished with a super header by Connor Parsons to give the team a deserved lead. However the home team fought back and within 25 minutes were 4-1 up! A Paul Kilfedder goal and then CallumSutherland was followed by a Connor Parsons penalty just before half-time capped a tremendous comeback and the end to a pulsating first half. Kilfedder got his second with a tremendous swerving 20 yarder into the top corner and the team had further chances to increase the lead before some slack defending allowed the Queenzieburn centre forward to equalise. The game swung from end to end and a tremendous 20 yard strike from Matt Gill came back off the underside of the bar. With the last attack of the game the referee awarded a second penalty however Connor Parsons' strike was well saved by the home keeper so the game ended 5-5. The boys played well throughout showing great spirit to come back from 4-1 and be within a whisker of winning.
Late call off at Campsie - heavy rain overnight flooded the Campsie park so disappointly the match was called off after a late inspection by the referee. Not all was lost and a practice match quickly arranged at the Leisure Centre with the blues winning an exciting match on penalties with over age players Lauriston and Stormonth being the inspiration behind the victory (despite both missing their penalty!).
Back to winning ways - The team travelled to Moodiesburn to play opponents Carbrain in a league match and despite more injuries overpowered the home team, winning 4-1. With captain Jack Wood out with a sprained ankle the armband was passed to Paul Kilfedder who led the team superbly including scoring a fine solo goal in the first half. The boys completely dominated the first 35 minutes and other goals from Connor Parsons, Aiden O'Hare and a first ever goal for Scott McIlwraith (a 20 yard screamer!) was just reward for a great first period. As they had to play "up the hill" in the second half some tiredness set in however they had further opportunities to increase their lead, the best being a shot from Alistair Smith that hit the post. Just as it was looking like keeper Ewan Gill would enjoy his 4th shut-out the home team sneaked a goal in the last minute.Overall a good performance and a result that pushes the team up the league.
Next up away to Campsie.
Depleted squad put up good show against their top league opponents - The boys faced Calderbraes in the first round of the Knock-out Cup. With only 13 fit players from the 22 man squad it was always going to be tough especially as a few of the starting 11 picked up injuries early on. A delightful 3 man move down the right resulted in a super header from David Rankin giving Gartcairn the lead after 10 minutes, a contender for goal of the season! Some fine defending and top class saves from Ewan Gill kept the home team at bay until just before half-time when they equalised with a shot that went in off the post.
Second half began much the same as the first and it was Aiden O'Hare who scored a fine individual goal finishing with a delightful chip into the Calderbraes goal. The home team then equalised from the re-start and then quickly went into the lead for the first time in the match. Credit to the boys as they fought back and scored the equaliser through the battling Connor Parsons. Injuries to both central defenders Jack Wood and Scott McIlwraith followed and the home team took full advantage to score quickly again and restore their lead. This time there was no way back and it was Calderbraes that finished the final 10 minutes stongest and ran out 7-3 winners. A spirited performance from the team but just not enough to defeat their "A" division opponents.

Boys storm into semi final of Condorrat Cup! Gratcairn 2 Yett Farm 2 (Gartcairn win 3-1 on penalties)
The boys turned in one of their best performances of the season against their "A" division opponents to reach their first ever semi final. After an even first ten minutes the boys took control of the match and Aiden O'Hare rifled in a 20 yard shot in to the roof of the net to give them a deserved lead at half-time. They continued to dominate the second half and a fine first goal of the season by Callum Sutherland was just reward for their efforts. Credit to Yett Farm for not giving up and a scrambled goal brought them back in to the game with 10 minutes to goal. An equaliser then followed and all of a sudden it was the visitors who looked like they would win. Extra time was end to end but didn't produce any more goals due to excellent goalkeeping. So it was down to penalties and even more grey hair for the coaches! Didn't look good after missing the first 2 penalties however 3 successful penalties by captain Jack Wood, Ryan Laurieston and Connor Parsons and two fantastic saves by goalkeeper Ewan Gill ensured a 3-1 victory for the team. 
A great all round "team" performance and one that the players, coaches and parents can all be proud - makes it all worthwhile! Roll on the semi final !
Great fightback secures first point of 2012 - Gartcairn 2 Balloch Eastfield 2:-
At the blustery Holytown venue the boys played their first match for over a month. Against the wind in the first half the boys held out against a strong Balloch team and went in goalless at half-time with both defences on top. It was the visitors who then went ahead with 2 quick goals in the second half. Then the fightback began with an Aiden O'Hare in swinging corner being forced over the line by Paul Kilfedder. Five minutes later it was Kilfedder again who scored, this time from a 25 yard free kick from out on the right wing, his 24th goal of the season. Both teams then had chances to win the game however the game ended 2-2, a fair result over the 70 minutes.

Boys give Kilsyth a fright before late collapse in Regional Cup- the team competed well against their "A" division opponents and a team that has just reached the 5th round of the Scottish Cup. The wind made good football difficult however the team stuck to their task and competed well in the early stages. However it was the home team who took the lead with a well worked goal. The boys battled back and Connor Parsons hooked in a great shot to grab a deserved equaliser. Just before half-time a shot was deflected past goalkeeper Ewan Gill by the unfortunate Scott McIlwraith to give Kilsyth the lead. Then controversy just before half-time when a great run by Paul Kilfedder was halted by a ruthless challenge by the Kilsyth centre half who was lucky only to be shown the yellow card, one of a few decisions that went against the visitors.
The boys started the second half against the strong wind and continued to compete well. Some great saves by Ewan Gill kept the game alive and KIlfedder pounced on a rebound from the goalkeeper to fire the equaliser. This followed a great turn and shot by Parsons. This shook the home team. Two further controversial decisions led to 2 goals that settled the game, the first was when the referee failed to award a free kick to Gartcairn and from the resultant attack Kilsyth scored. 5 minutes later the referee gave a penalty to the home side for what the referee decided was "excessive use of the shoulder" by captain Jack Wood. Fact that no one actually claimed for the penalty highlighted why the players, coaches and parents were a little angry with this decision! The heads were down after this and 2 more goals followed in the last 10 minutes to give the home side a 6-2 victory which was not a fair reflection on the balance of play. 
Special mention to goalkeeper Ewan Gill for some fantastic goalkeeping throughout and to the whole team for competing well for 3/4 of the match against a very good Kilsyth team.
Winning run comes to an end after poor second half - The team returned to league duty against bellshill, the team that they had narrowly beaten last week in the cup. On a rather soggy Calderbank pitch the boys started brightly and went on to dominate the first half however come half time only had the one goal to show for it with Paul Kilfedder converting a great pass from Cieran Johnston. Bellshill came out fighting in the second half and and fired 3 goals in quick succession. Ryan Laurieston pulled a goal back before the Bellshill goalie was sent off with 10 minutes to go. Despite having a few chances the equaliser couldn't be found and the game ended disappointingly 3-2 in the visitor's favour. The team suffered another blow with the news that Daniel McKendry, taken off injured after 20 minutes, has a hairline fracture to his shoulder. All at the Club wish him a speedy recovery.

Good luck to captain Jack Wood who has been selected for the North Lanarkshire Select team to play pro-youth team Alloa Athletic u'14s at Ravenscraig this Wednesday night.

Open Day at new park - to mark the opening of our new home parks at Gartlea the whole club will be having an open day next Sunday 20th Nov from 2pm to 4pm. After a few club photographs and the official opening of the park the boys will take part in a full training session.

Hat-trick of wins and hat-trick for Kilfedder - another fine performance as the boys stormed in to the next round of the Condorrat Cup with a 3-1 away victory at Bellshill. After a strong start by the home side it was gartcairn who struck first with a fine solo run and finish by Paul Kilfedder. Further chances followed however it was Bellshill who snatched the equaliser just before half-time. Keeper Ewan Gill then made a fantastic save and then Jack wood diverted a goal bound shot wide to ensure the scores remained level at half-time. The team came out and dominated the second half and Kilfedder shot the team ahead. Chances followed to kill off the game but with none converted there was always a chance that the home team would sneak an equaliser however the defence and goalie held firm. In the final minute Paul Kilfedder capped a fine individual performance with another great run and finish to ensure victory.
Another fine display, particularly in the second half.

Best performance of the season sees boy through to second round of Regional Cup - a super performance from the team with a five star and five goal first half a delight to watch, plus a third shut-out of the season for returning goalkeeper Ewan Gill. After a goal-less first 15 minutes Connor Parsons opened the scoring with a great glancing header. Connor then followed this up with 2 more goals to celebrate his second hat-trick in two games! A
Paul Kilfedder penalty increased the score to 4 and just before half-time David Rankin sent a screamer into the roof of the net from 20 yards to cap a fantastic first 35 minutes! The visitors came out fighting in the second half however the defence of Wood, McIlwraith, Campbell and McKendry stood firm and it was Paul Kilfedder who increased the lead with a 22 yard free kick into the top corner of the net - another belter! The scoring was complete with a great solo effort from Aiden O'Hare, a goal thoroughly deserved after a great individual display. Credit to the whole squad for a super performance that simply blew Helenburgh away.

Boys kick off league campaign with victory... just!!  With 5 players missing through injury including goalie Ewan and captain Jack this was always going to be a testing start against Rosebank. After losing Matt Gill through injury after only 3 minutes the players made a tremendous start scoring 5 goals without reply in the first 25 minutes including a sensational hat-trick by Connor Parsons in his full debut. Jim McLung and Aiden O'Hare were the other scorers. Game should have been over at this point however the Rosebank team fought back scoring 3 goals before Jim McLung scored his second on the stroke of half-time. This gave Rosebank heart and 2 further goals in the second half led to a nail-biting finish however the boys held on for a deserved victory. Special mention to Jamie McLaughlin for his goalkeeping display with the tip over reaction save from a point blank header being what turned out to be a match winning save.

Match off at East Kilbride - heavy rain led to the first league match of the season being called off. 

First half collapse gives boys too much to do at Lenzie - After an even first 15 minutes when both teams had chances to score it was Lenzie who scored first and then never looked back, taking advantage of the strong wind and some poor Gartcairn defending to lead 6-0 at half-time. The boys were challenged to go out and win the second half and this they duly did by 3-2 with goals from Kyle Renicks, Jack Wood and Paul Kilfedder. The result means that we finish the League Coup section in third place.

League cup hopes blown away by Garnkirk - after two call offs this match was eventually played on the astro at Coatbridge High. The first 15 minutes were even before Garnkirk opened the scoring and quickly followed this with a second. The boys fought back however could not find the back of the net to get them back into the match. Two further goals on the break gave the visitors a flattering 4-0 half-time lead. any hopes of a second half comeback were dashed as garnkirk scored a fifth. All credit to the team for still creating chances however just couldn't find the net with the Garnkirk goalie in top form. Further goals followed late in the game to give the visitors a resounding 7-0 victory and a place in the league cup semi final play-off. Only pass marks in a disappointing performance were for goalie Ewan Gill and right back Daniel Campbell. Heads up lads.

Further call off at Lenzie - heavy rain at the Lenzie park resulted in a late call off for this match which would have went a long way to deciding the outcome of this league cup section. 

Referee calls of game v Garnkirk - controversy as the referee called off the much awaited Garnkirk match because of poor line markings on the Bellshill pitch. As a result a friendly match was played and the visitors ran out 5-4 winners in a close match.Goals came from PaulKilfedder with 2, David Rankin and Ryan Laurieston.

Boys unfortunate to crash out of Scottish Cup after gallant performance - Although the boys lost this match against a strong Clyde Valley team they can be proud of their performance. Despite losing two early goals the team fought back and a Dan McKendry pile driver saw the full back score his second goal of the season. The midfield of PK, Captain Jack, Jim Mclung (who was unfortunate with a David Beckham type volley from fully 50 yards) and debutant Ciaran took control of the match.  An opportunist goal by Paul Kilfedder after a long Scott McIlwraith free kick brought the scores level and then just before half-time our other full back Daniel Campbell finished off a free kick set piece straight from the training ground (not!). What a fight back and one that left the fancied visitors stunned as the players tropped off their h-t lucozade. The boys picked up where they left off and had several chances to finish off the match before the strong Clyde Valley team fought their way back in a topsy turvy match, grabbing a scrambled equaliser before scoring 2 late goals to put the tie out of the reach of the home team.
Garnkirk match called off - unbelievably still in mid september and another game called off because of Scotland's great summer weather! A combination of rain and gale force winds forced the postponement of this potential league cup decider. Match re-scheduled for saturday 24th.

Well done to the sponsored walkers - a good turn-out from the squad for the walk and jog around the 15 miles (well it felt like 15!) Strathclyde Park. on Sunday morning. Only scare(after being 25 minutes late!) was losing our star goalie ewan when he tried to take a short-cut to catch the front runners. Alarm was raised and Ewan was found having scrambled through a few bushes - well at least he didn't end up in the water! Well done to all.

Lenzie match called off
Due to adverse weather conditions the crucial match at Lenzie was called off. Next up is Garnkirk at home on Monday night, live on Sky Sports 6 at 6.30 - a must win match for Garcairn if progress to the semi finals is to be made.
Blairhill hit for seven... again - Gartcairn 7 Blairhill 0
In difficult conditions the boys ran out 7-0 winners against Blairhill. Despite missing several chances to put the game beyond doubt goals from David Rankin and Paul Kilfedder gave the boys a 2-0 inteval lead. Subersub Kyle Renicks added a second half hat-trick and Paul Kilfedder added two more to complete his own hat-trick to give Gartcairn another fine victory. Lets not forgot  a second clean sheet of the season for star goalie Ewan Gill.
Back to winning ways - Gartcairn 7 Carbrain 2
After a bright start when the team missed several chances the visitors broke away twice to go into a 2 goal lead. To their credit the boys kept the heads up and got back to 2-2 before the half-time whistle. Then in the second half the boys came out all guns blazing and fired in 5 goals to put them back in contention for a league cup semi final place. Goals on the night came from Jim McLung (2), Jack Wood (2) and a hat-trick from the golden boot of Paul Kilfedder. Only disappointment on the night was a bad knee injury to full back Tommy Lennon which led to a hospital visit afterwards and poor tommy on crutches for at least 2 weeks.
Boys lose unbeaten run at Garnkirk - Garnkirk 7 Gartcairn 3
Three games in 5 days proved too much for the team as they lost out to a stronger Garnkirk team at stepps. 2 goals from Jim McLung and one from Kyle Renicks kept the score close for most of the match however 3 late goals gave the home side a 7-3 victory.
Goals Galore as boys serve up 9-9 thriller! Gartcairn 9 Lenzie 9
What a match and advert for under 14s football as both teams gave their all over a super 70 minutes. Lenzie are newcomers to the league this year and came to the match following a 6-4 victory over league cup section favourites Garnkirk whilst Gartcairm came fresh from their 7-0 demolition of Blairhill.
A blistering start saw the Gartcairn team go into a 3-1 lead and in control of the match until a controversial penalty decision let the visitors back into the match and before we knew it it was 3-3. Further goals before half-time left the score at a 5-5 with both defences on top... not! After a goalless first 5 minutes in the second half Gartcairn scored 2 more goals to put them into what should have been a winning 7-5 scoreline however the visitors fought back to 7-7. Gartcairn scored again as did Lenzie who then went into a 9-8 lead with 2 minutes to go to lead for the first time in the match. However Gartcairn stormed up the park and with the last kick of the ball captain Jack Wood smashed the ball into the roof of the net to finish the scoring. Scorers for Gartcairn were Aiden O'Hare(2), Paul Kilfedder (2), David Rankin, Daniel McKendry, Jack Wood, JIm Mclung and Daniel Campbell.
Boys start competitive matches off in style: Blairhill 0 Gartcairn 7 (yes seven)
Always good to get a first victory in your first match but also a bonus to get it against a team we have never beaten in 4 years of trying! The boys dominated from start to finish and if not for some great goalkeeping by the Blairhill goalie (who has recently signed for Motherwell) and the woodwork the scoreline would have been a lot higher.
Aiden O'Hare, who had one of his best games in a Gartcairn jersey, opened the scoring with a delightful chip with his left foot into the top corner of the net. After missing a number of chances Paul Kilfedder got the goal he deserved and then set up Kyle Renicks for the third just before half-time.
The boys continued their dominance in the second half and added to their first half goals with further goals from supersub Dan Campbell with 2, the ever improving Jim McLung and debutant David Rankin who looked good when coming as a second hald sub for the tiring Kyle R.
Lets not forget our goalie Ewan Gill - we haven't had many shut-outs at Gartcairn so welcome to the Gartcairn Hall of Fame. Some great stops in the second half ensured the clean sheet. Mustn't forget the quote of the season at half-time from Ewan and one never heard from a Gartcairn goalie ever before - "i'm bored". I think what ewan meant to say was " my defence are playing so well and the team are playing such good football that I have hardly had a touch!"
Final word to Captain Jack - played the holding midfield role to perfection and was desparately unlucky not to get on the scoresheet when his solo run and scorching shot was thwarted by the underside of the bar.
The standard has been set for the season!! Next stop Lenzie on Monday evening at home (lenzie beat league cup favourites Garnkirk 6-4 today so tough match ahead)
And whats even better ... Dumbarton finished a great day by winning 6-0 at East Fife!!! Another first - a gartcairn and dumbarton double!
Pre-season and friendlies
The boys enjoyed a good pre-season with excellent effort by all at all training sessions especially on the hills next to Airdrie Leisure Centre! That includes you Martin Kilfedder, although watch that ankle!!
We played 2 friendlies with the first one a toughe against last years 2nd Division champions Lochgreen. What a game and what a start to the season - a 6-5 victory despite following behind twice in the match in the first half. Some brilliant saves by the injured Ewan Gill kept us in the game and goals from Jack Wood, 2 from Jim McLung and a super hat-trick from Paul Kilfedder gave the team a super victory and some confidence for the season ahead
This was followed by a second tough friendly, this time against the ever improving FC Kirkwood. The defence failed to cope with the fast FCK forward line and the team found themselves 4-0 down. All credit to the boys as they fought back to 4-3 with goals from Paul Kilfedder and a double from Jim McLung.However  the FCK star striker returned to play and added 4 four goals to bring his tally to 6 and FCK finished 8-3 winners.
Overall a good pre-season and all are looking forward to the season ahead.
The boys just before the Campsie tournament gets underway(more pics in the photo gallery section)
18th June - Campsie Tournament - A great experience for the boys to play on Celtic's 3G training pitch at their Lennoxtown training complex. First 2 matches were back to back against the 2 tournament favourites Kirkwood and Campsie. The team battled hard against Kirkwood however failure to clear the ball at a corner let their opponents strike first. Kirkwood scored two more before the team fought back and created some chances of their own. paul Kilfedder then got a goal back with 5 minutes to go and set up a fighting finish however it wasn't enough and the game ended 3-1 to eventual winners Kirkwood.
Luck of the draw meant the boys were straight on again for a further 30 minutes against a strong Campsie team and despite holding their opponents in the early stages the hosts ran out worthy winners in the end, taking advantage of a tiring Gartcairn team.
Final match was against Rosebank which became a 50 minute match to cover both the final round robin match and 3/4 play off. Having had a 60 minute break the boys started a lot fresher and shoudl really had the match well won the first 25 minutes however had only one goal to show for their efforts via Paul Kilfedder. A Jack Wood piledriver from 25 yards almost broke the bar before Rosebank began to amke a few chances of their own. The boys were still on top however Rosebank snatched an equaliser just before the final whistle to take the game to penalties. An excellent save from the Rosebank goalie and the cross bar gave the edge to Rosebank and despite the valient efforts of Ewan Gill in the Gartcairn goal it was Rosebank who snatched 3rd place winning 4-2 on penalties.
A great experience and although the results could have been better the boys will have benefitted from the 3 matches and can now look forward to a well deserved rest over the next month after the final training session on Monday night.
Declan, Josh, Daniel C and Scott being interviewed by Celtic TV after the tournament!
 11th June - Team just lose out to FC Kirkwood - the boys played their final match before the campsie tournament and put up a good performance against a strong Kirkwood team. Following a very even first 15 minutes it was the visitors who opened the scoring and qucikly added a second. Kieran Lafferty pulled one back before an unfortunate mis-kick led to a third Kirkwood goal just before half-time. The boys fought back and sub Declan Morrow scored to bring the score back to 2-3. Paul Kilfedder then hit the post with a blistering drive before the visitors broke up the park to score 2 further goals to put the game out of sight. Paul Kilfedder scored a late consolation goal from the penalty spot after being tripped in the box. Overall a good fighting performance and although a victory would have been better the work and effort shown by the boys over the 70 minutes was excellent. Special mention to new keeper Ewan Gill wo made an excellent debut for the team.
4th June - "2 out of 3 aint bad" - The team made the trip to Falkirk to face a strong Grahamston team. The game was split into 3 x 25 minute matches and apart from a poor first 25 minutes acquiited themselves well in the second and third periods, drawing both despite having many more chances. Aiden O'Hare gave the boys the lead after 5 minutes however the home team stormed back with the wind at their backs and scored 5 goals within the next 20 minutes with the team not helped with an injury to goalkeeper Alistair Smith. In the second period the boys led for most of the 25 minutes through a fine Paul Kilfedder strike and should have scored several more before Grahamston scored a late equaliser. The boys faced the strong wind again in the final period however dominated play again and again if chances had been taken would have won. In the end they had to settle for a 2-2 draw with goalsfrom the lively debutant Scott Ballantyne and Paul Kilfedder.Overall score was 8-4 to the home team. Well done to Mark Kelly who made his debut in goal for the second and third period.
28th May - Shut-out for big Al and his defence - another victory for the boys as they putplayed a young Kirkwood team at St Andrews HS. Despite facing a strong wind in the first half it was Jack Wood who opened the scoring. Further chances just went wide for strike pair Adain O'Hare and jack Johnstone. Despite a missed penalty the boys ran out worthy winners  with further goals by Jack Wood, Paul Kilfedder and Kieran Lafferty sealing a 4-0 victory and a welcome clean sheet for goalie Al Smith and his defence, Tommy Lennon, Matt Gill, Dan Campbel and Dan McKendry. Challenge is to make it 3 wins on the trot as the boys make the trip to Falkirk for a friendly v Grahamston next Saturday.
26th May - Pauls shines in Man Un Training Competition - One of the Man Utd youth training sessions were adopted for Thursday's training at the Academy. The idea was pinched from Man Utd Youth football director Geoff Flitcroft and involved 5 games of 4v 4 matches with players scoring points for team wins and goals scored with the teams being changed each game. Winner in a great competition was Paul Kilfedder with240 points just ahead of Matt Gill and Jack Wood on 220 points. A very enjoyable nights training!
21th May - Awards Nights - All enjoyed the awards, the disco dancing and the games at the Gartlea Community Hall. Congratulations to our winners:-
Players' Player of Year - Jack Wood
Club Player of Year  -  Daniel McKendry
Top Goalscorer - Paul Kilfedder
...and best dancer on the night - Jamie "Jam" McLaughlin! 
21st May v Rosebank (friendly) - Boys back to winning ways -
as further preparation for the Campsie tournament we took the opportunity to use the full squad against an improving Rosebank team. The team ran out worthy 6-2 victors and the scoreline could have been greater had the shooting been better and for some great goalkeeping by the Rosebank keeper. Scorers were Adain O'Hare with 2, Paul Kilfedder with a hat-trick and a debut goal from new signing Jack Johnstone.
14th May v Garnkirk (friendly match) - shooting boots left at home! With the league season finished a friendly was arranged with a strong Garnkirk team from the division above. The team started strongly, passing the ball well and creating some great chances. A combination of bad finishing and the garnkirk gaolie in top form, especially from a Robbie Stormonth 20 yarder destined for the roof of the net stopped the Gartcairn from taking a deserved lead and it was the visitors who scored the first goal on the break. The team did score just after however it was Scott McIlwraith mis-hitting a clearance into his own net. Two more avoidable goals just before half-time gave Garnkirk a 4-0 lead which was an unfair reflection on the balance of play. Several changes were made to give everyone a game and the boys continue to battle well and created more chances however the post, some great saves and some more poor finishing meant that it was the visitors who scored on the break again before Matthew Gill thundered in a goal with 5 minutes to go to give the home team some reward for their efforts. To their credit the Gartcairn boys competed well for the 70 minutes and despite the scoreline did give the visitors a run for their money. Shooting practice a priority at training this week!!!
9th May v Seafar - Boys back on form - despite missing several chances the team raced into a 3-0 interval lead with 2 Jack Wood goals and one from Paul Kilfedder. Against a strong wind in the second half the boys found their shooting boots and further goals came from Paul kilfedder, Daniel Campbell, Declan Morrow and a hat-trick from sub Kieran Lafferty. Seafar scored a late consolation goal.
7th May v Campsie Thistle - a game to forget!!- After a great performance at EK the boys looked forward to playing at the foot of the campsies against a team still with an outside chance of winning the league. What a start with Kyle Renicks latching on to a through ball from Scott McIlwaith and firing home from 20 yards within 2 miniutes, then it all went wrong with a strangely lack-lustre performance. The home team fought back and with the help of defensive mistakes were 4-1 ahead at half-time. The team fought back with Ryan Laurieston and Paul Kilfedder bringing out the best in the campsie goalie before Campsie broke up the park and scored again. This knocked the stuffing out the team and a few more goals followed to make the scoreline a lot worse than what it should have been given the actual balance of play.  Heads up for the next match against Seafar on Monday night.
30th April v East Kilbride - Much improved but just lose out - Alastair Smith returned in goal after injury as the boys made the trip to a windy East Kilbride Juniors stadium. Playing with the wind in the first half the boys created several good chances with adrian O'hare, Kieran Lafferty, Paul Kilfedder and Robbie Stormonth all going close. However it was the visitors who snatched the lead with a scrappy goal before Paul Kilfedder scored a great individual goal  and Aiden O'Hare scored an opportunist goal just before half-time to give the team a 2-1 half-time lead. With the strong wind EK adopted a shoot on sight policy however Gartcairn were still creating cahnces on the break. EK equalised and added a further two goals to lead 4-2. Strikes from Robbie S and Paul K shaved the bar before a great run and finish by Paul Kilfedder brought Gartcairn back within touching distance of EK. However despite a great effort by the boys it was EK who grabbed the final goal to win 5-3. A disappointing final score however this was one of the team's best performances of the season with superb commitment and effort from everyone - better defensively with Nathan McMillan particularly outstanding and ably supported by Jam and the 2 Dans, midfield was much better as well in both a defending and attacking sense so well done Dec, Robbie, Paul and Jack. Aiden o'Hare had another fine game up front, well supported by Kieran Lafferty in teh first half and Kyle Renicks in the second.
25th April v Blairhill - Poor first half gives boys too much to do - The boys missed the chance to climb above Blairhill in the league following a poor first half and questionanable decisions by the referee. At 2-0 down a strong penalty claim was denied and from the resulting break Blairhill scored to make it 3-0 and then added two more before half-time. With a major re-shuffle at half-time including Jack wood as centre forward what a transformation and after a thundering header by Gary Thomson and a fine individual goal by Adrian O'Hare the boys were back in the game. Some good goalkeeping by the Motherwell bound Blairhill goalie prevented a great comeback as Blairhill snatched a goal against the run of the play before Jack Wood thundered in a "peter lorimer" strike from 20 yardsto give fresh hope. However a further strike by Blairhill re-oened their 4 goal lead. Then a tremendous save by the Blairhill goalie from Paul Kilfedder's well struck penalty and a final break from Blairhill to finish the scoring at 8-3. Harsh given a much improved second half however the damage was done in a poor first half. 
9th April v Seafar - Boys go on rampage at Ravenswood - goals galore, a clean sheet for standin goalie Darryl Gardner plus sunshine and soaring temperatures - a perfect morning in Cumbernauld!! Despite missing several early chances the boys stuck to their task and ably led by captain Jack Wood eventually got the breakthrough through bustling midfielder Declan Morrow after 20 minutes. This settled the nerves and goals from Jack wood, paul Kilfedder and Aiden O'Hare's first goal for the club gave Gartcairn a 4-0 interval lead. We asked for more in the second half and the boys delivered through 7 further strikes from big Paul Kilfedder (in a rich vein of form!!) weighing in with another 3, Kieran Lafferty with 2, Josh Welsh and the goal of the match from aiden O'Hare after a run and 20 yarder into the roof of the net. Overall a great performance and a second victory in successive saturdays, taking the team on to the 10 point mark for the season.
4th April v East Kilbride - Score flatters the visitors - a strong and big (sure that they had at least 2 six-footers playing) EK were just too strong for a Gartcairn team who simply refused to give up. In a competitive first half Paul Kilfedder hit the bar after a fine run and shot, then hit the bar again after a scramble at a corner. In between times EK hit on the counter attack and did take their chances to go in 3-0 up at half-time. An injury to goalkeeper Al Smith meant he had to leave the field after the 4th and despite Gartcairn having some more chances it was EK who added two more goals before the end. A lesson in taking your chances in front of goal!
2nd April v Rosebank - Boys fight back for resounding win - after losing an early goal the team kept the heads up and dominated the rest of the game with some fine passing, running and teamwork. Daniel Campbell grabbed the equaliser after a Robbie Stormonth thunderbolt was too hard for the goalie to handle. Paul Kilfedder then hammered home a great second goal from 20 yards. New signing Aiden O'Hare was causing the Rosebank defence problems with his unselfish running and lay-offs and the boys missed several chances to finish off Rosebank before the break. The same happened in the second half until supersubs Declan Morrow and Josh Welsh grabbed a goal a piece, plus a second goal from Paul Kilfedder and one from Jamie McLaughlin. Overall a great comeback and display from everyone from start to finish.
26th March v Bonnybridge - team put up good fight before late collapse - the team travelled up to Bonnybridge for this Knock-out cup tie against one of the top teams from the "A" Division. Jamie McLaughlin, Kieran Lafferty and Paul Kilfedder all came close to putting the team in front before the home side snatched a rather fortunate goal 10 minutes before half-time. The boys continued to fight in the second half however a combination of tiredness and 2 own goals eased Bonnybridge to victory with a rather flattering scoreline. Although disappointing to lose there were a lot of positives to take from the match as well assome good individual performances.
19th March v Queenzieburn - disappointing final scoreline however the boys played some good football and with some luck and some different refereeing decisions could actually have won this match. The team were on top early on however some slack defending allowed the home team to take the lead. Failure to award a free-kick for a passback to the goalie led to another breakaway for the home side and another goal from a suspicious offside position. After another soft goal the boys hit back with a fine finish from Kieran Lafferty. Shortly afterwards the same player was fouled in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. However the usually reliable Paul Kilfedder saw his penalty well saved by the keeper. Then Tommy Lennon was fouled in the box however this time the referee "played advantage" rather than giving the penalty! The boys kept fighting in the second half and scorned several chances before losing another soft goal. Paul Kilfedder then set up an exciting final 10 minutes with a well taken goal however a last minute penalty after a Mark Kelly "catch" at the front post gave a final 5-2 scoreline that fairly flattered the home team. Some encouraging play throughout going forward however still losing too many soft goals.
12th March v Seafar - game called off as the snow returns
12th March - good luck to top scorer Barry - all the best to Barry Murray who has decided to move on to pastures new. Your goals, your enthusiasm and your humour will be missed! Your hugging of the Albion Rovers goalkeeper whilst on ball boy duty after the penalty save was an absolute hoot!
5th March v Lochgreen - Great first half, not so good second - the boys didn't let themselves down this week against the league leaders Lochgreen. A fighting first half saw the boys unfortunate not to go in one up after a delightful run and chip from Kilfedder. Loss of an early goal in the second half and the loss of centre half Jamie Mclachlinsaw the heads go down a little and the visotrs score a few more goals. Heads up for next week as we must build on the second half from last week and the first half from today. Put them together and we can match any team in the league. Well done to Alistair Smith playing only his second full game in goal for the team and also special mention to Daniel Campbell for a superb performance at right back.
26 Feb v FC Kirkwood - Team only play one half -  less said about the first half of this match the better! A disappointing first 35 minutes saw FCK score six times without reply. However the team restored some pride in the second half with goals from Barry Murray and Jack Wood with FCK running out eventual 8-2 winners.
20 Feb - Team reach semi-final of tournament -  a superb hat-trick by Barry Murray, along with a fine strike from Kyle Renwicks gave the team a 4-1 victory over Blyth rangers in their final qualifying match of the Gartcairn Ravenscraig Tournament and this was enough to secure a semi-final slot. Their opponents were a strong Galston BC team, the eventual tournament winners. The boys fought hard however lost 5-1, with Paul Kilfedder scoring the Gartcairn goal with a fine solo effort. Well done to all for their efforts over the 5 games!
19 Feb - Team fight back for deserved point -
Despite falling behind to two goals from a stong Blairhill side the boys battled back to secure a deserved draw in atrocious conditions at Airdrie Academy. Paul Kilfedder played his best game of the season, scoring the 2 goals, first from the penalty spot after Barry Murray was tripped in the box, and the second a tremendous solo effort finished with a shot in to the top corner of the net. A tremendous all round team performance and a special mention to goalkeeper Alistair Smith for a sterling first full match in the terrible conditions.
12 Feb - Boys lose out in extra time - After 3 successive victories the team lost for the first time since November to a plucky Rosebank team who ran out 5-3 winners after extra time. The boys dominated the first half but could not turn their possession in to goals and were made to pay when Rosebank scored with their first shot on target just before half-time. The visitors then went 2-0 up early in the second half from the penalty spot. This sparked a great comeback with two goals from Barry Murray and a sizzling free-kick from Paul Kilfedder putting the team into a deserved 3-2 lead. To give Rosebank credit they never gave up and grabbed a late equaliser to take the tie in to extra time. Despite plenty effort and Robbie Stormonth hitting the post it was Rosebank who took advantage of some sloppy defending to score two goals to take them through to the next round of the Bobby Barr Cup.  
6 Feb - Sponsored Walk - Well done to Daniel McKendry, Paul Gilfedder, Jack Wood, Alistair Smith and Robbie Stormonth for completing the sponsored walk and jog around Strathclyde Park in the pouring rain.
29 January - Team help Rovers to victory over Elgin - To cap a good day for the team some of the boys and Rhianan helped the Albion Rovers to a great victory over Elgin City by providing the ball boy and ball girl duties. They also provided the half-time entertainment at which Mark Kelly, Barry Murray and Kieran Lafferty showed their penalty kick skills by winning the competition. In the 10 second race from the half way line to score, goalkeeper Alistair Smith excelled with only Robbie Stormonth finding the net out of 9 attempts from the players. well done everyone for keeping the capacity 325 crowd entertained. Special mention to Barry Murray - watch out for the Airdrie Advertiser this week as hopefully their cameraman captured the picture of the first ever ball boy to run on to the pitch and hug the Rovers goalkeeper after he had saved a penalty with 5 minutes to go. Well done to everyone for braving the cold and coming along.
29 January - Team hit Rosebank for 6 - the team kept up their winning run with a 6-2 victory. A screaming 25 yarder from Paul Kilfedder set the team on their way to victory. Goals then followed from Barry Murray with 2, Colin Park, Kieran Lafferty and Gary Thomson.
22 January 2011 - Back in action and team hit 10! An encouraging start to 2011 with the team hitting Rosebank for 10 in a resounding 10-3 victory! Goals came from captain Jack Wood with 4 (not bad for a centre half!), 3 from striker Barry Murray and one each from Colin Park and new signings Daniel Campbell and Josh Welsh. Great team performance! 
 27th November - Unfortunately, the snow came down on friday evening and prevented the team from playing a cup match with Rosebank at the new grass pitch at Airdrie Lesiure Centre. Sponsored walk around Strathclyde Park is still on though unless the wetaher deteriorates overnight.
25th November - Training Time Trials round 1 -  As the players grow stronger more time will be spent at training on the sports science aspect of fitness and regular monitoring of progress will take place. On Thursday all players went through a series of 3 time trials, the first over a 50m sprint (completed twice), the second a 25m dribble and a 25m sprint with the ball at feet and finally a longer 150m sprint. "Stars" of the evening were:-
50m sprint - Rhianan, Barry, Ryan L, Gavin Millar who all broke 11 seconds.
Dribble - Barry, Daniel M, Mark, Robbie, Jack and Paul for breaking 16 seconds
150m spint - Daniel C, Fraser, Barry, Ryan L, Gavin for beating 25 seconds
Trials will be completed again in early 2011 with the aim for each player to beat their recorded timings from last Thursday.
20th November - Team find scoring touch and a first league victory -  a welcome and deserved victory for the team against Rosebank at Kirkintilloch. Trailing to an early goal by the home team Kieran Lafferty equalised and two further first half goals by Barry Murray and Paul Kilfedder gave the boys a 3-1 interval lead, useful as they would be playing up the famous Tintock Park slope in the second half. Two early second half goals from Barry Murray again and subersub Ryan Laurieston should have put the score beyond doubt however the Rosebank boys were not for giving up and 3 goals in a ten minute spell made for an exciting and nerve-wracking final 20 minutes (plus some more grey hairs for the coaches)! Both teams had chances as play swung end to end however the team held out for a thoroughly deserved victory (we'll not mention the 2 "Chris Uwelmo" misses!). A great team performance, led by Captain Jack Wood, and hopefully the first victory of many.
16th November - Gavin and Jack represent team in North Lanarkshire Development squad - well done to Jack Wood and Gavin Millar who after several training sessions with the NLC Development Squad made their first appearance in the squad's first competitive match on Tuesday evening at St Andrews HS against the Motherwell FC Pro-Youth U'13s team. Both boys played well and helped the squad to a 2-1 victory.The squad is made up of players from teams across NLC inclusing the likes or Airdrie Boys Club so it is a fine achievement by both boys to be involved and great for their football development. Well done Gavin and Jack.
13th November - Boys pay for missed chances - unlucky 13th for the team as they missed several chances to score before Queenzieburn opened the scoring after 20 minutes. This was followed by another 3 goals in a mad 5 minute spell befor half-time putting the game beyond the team's reach. A fighting second half performance brought more chances but some wayward shooting and good goalkeeping kept the Gartcairn team out and it was Queenzieburn who scored a breakaway goal to give them a rather flattering 5-0 victory.
6th November - Regional Cup Match - score flatters Riverside
Disappointing result for the team against a strong Riverside team who top the Stirling District U'13s league. Performance and effort from the team was good throughout and with some luck in front of goal the result would have been closer than the eventual 5-0. The team carved out several chances before Riverside snatched the opening goal. A Barry Murray free-kick struck the post in a fighting second half performance. Best performances of the season from Paul Kilfedder, Gavin Millar and Daniel McKendry and a sterling show from capatain Jack Wood. Just need some consistency and some victories will be achieved.
30th October - Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory!
An oustanding first 30 minutes saw the Gartcairn team march into a 3 goal lead with Paul Kilfedder, Barry Murray and John Mcguire hit the back of the net. A goal just before half-time gave the visitors from FC Kirkwood hope.This was followed in the second half with another goal and then a controversial penalty and sending off for handball for the unfortunate John McGuire. The penalty was converted and the visitors took advantage of having an extra man by scoring the winner. Overall the team must hold their heads high as the first 30 minutes was the best we have played all season.
A break from league action next week as the team head to Stirling for a tough Regional Cup Tie with Riverside.
23rd October
A much improved performance this morning with the team unlucky to lose by 4-1 to Lochgreen. The team battled bravely with Gavin Millar striking the bar in the first half. Ross Mcgivern made some great saves and new player Declan Morrow showed up well in the midfield. Substitute Colin Park was the Gartcairn goalscorer when he turned in a fine Barry Murray corner. Some encouraging signs to take forward in to the next game with FC Kirkwood next Saturday at Airdrie gutsy performancyAcademy.
16 October
After a competitive first half against Campsie Boys Club in the first league game of the season the boys tired badly in the second half and in the end were soundly beaten by the better team. Paul Gilfedder's well struck penalty had brought the team back into the game at 2-1.
Training back to normal on Monday 18th at St Margaret's HS.
Next match - opponents and venue to be confirmed.