Tievecrom – An Taobh Crom – The Sloping Hillside
On the side of a mountain - as its name would suggest – the earliest mention we have of Tievecrom is in 1605 as ‘Tewcrome’. (The ‘tew’ part is a fair representation of the way ‘the Irish word ‘taobh’ (side) was and is pronounced in Ulster Irish – ‘teeyou’).
The townland consists mainly of mountain land, running from Glen Du (An Gleann Dubh - The Dark/Black Glen)at its southern south end to Cloghinnea at its northern end, and flanked to the west by Carrickasticken and to the east – across Monribba Bog (An Móin Ríbeach – The Ribbed/Tufted Bogland) – by Dromintee (Droim an Tí - The Ridge of the House/Settlement).
Michael J. Murphy in ‘Mountain Year’ refers to sitting at McGuill’s pub in Dromintee (now The Three Steps) and looking out over Monribba Bog, at Tievecrom and the ‘Bohillbreaga’. A ‘buachaill bréige – a false boy’ is a common feature around Ireland, where a hill or mountain resembles a human feature, although in this instance afforestation may have done its worst and obscured the same. In photographs from the same period in the late 50's/early 60's taken by Michael J., ploughed fields can be seen right up to the existing tree line. The demise of the horse and plough and the coming of the tractor meant that this was no longer possible and those same fields are now covered in whins - so much for progress.
To the south of the mountain is a hunting folly in the form of a turret built by the local landlords. Above Matthews’ around the same area, high on the mountain slope, are the remains of a ringfort – with sweeping views over most of south Armagh.
The townlands >