Edenappa - Éadan Cnapach - Lumpy Hillbrow
This townland runs south from the village of Jonesboro, and the old coach road from Belfast to Dublin once ran through the townland - an upgrade on the old Kilnasaggart road through the Moyry Pass, before it too in time became obsolete in favour of the easier route to the east of Feede. Redmond O'Hanlon, the famous Rapparee, was said to have frequently robbed travellers on the road in the late 1600's.
One look at the hills above the townland that adjoins Feede will attest to the origin of its name, but it has also been suggested that the name could have come from Éadan an Aba - Hillbrow of the Abbot, due to the presence of Kilnasaggart within the townland
Kilnasaggart - Cill na Sagart - Church of the Priests
Kilnasaggart contains one of the earliest inscribed stones in Ireland. Though we can trace the stone back to the early/late Christian period its origins are much earlier. The inscription bears the words:
‘this place Ternoc son of Ciaran the Little, assigned it unto the keeping of (or in return for the protection of) the Apostle Peter".
We can trace Ternoc (or Tiernach) to 714 or 716 AD. But the stone contains ogham inscriptions and there are signs that earlier inscriptions have been champered off – to hide their pagan roots. A monastery for ‘canons regular’ was supposedly founded here by St Brigid of nearby Faughart. Edward Bruce camped here in 1314 before his end at the battle of Faughart. Whilst a monastery of some shape or form may have stood at the spot once – it is believed many of its stones were taken to build the nearby Moyry Castle.