Dromintee – Droim an Tí – The Ridge of the House/Settlement
Dromintee Parish takes its name from this townland which sits at the heart of the parish. The townland itself straddles each side of ‘Garriba’ – the long glacial tail of Slieve gullion that sweeps down from Slieve Gullion into the parish and gives the towland the ‘ridge’ or ‘droim’ of its name.
In 1605 ‘Dromentey’ was mentioned as one of the local townlands which were given over for the upkeep of nearby Moyry Castle. ‘Dromainn Tí’ has been suggested as the Irish translation (still meaning the same in English), but as the local pronunciation – up until fairly recently - was ‘Drementee’ – this suggests ‘Droim an Tí’ and not ‘Dromainn Tí’. The ‘house’ part of the name would suggest a church or ecclesiastical dwelling and it would be assumed that the site of the present Dromintee RC Chapel on the ridge was the site of earlier church buildings.
‘Garriba’ – the ridge on which the church sits has a lovely translation. It comes from ‘gearb’ or ‘gearbach’, meaning – ‘resembling a mangy sheep’s arse’ – such as the side of the mountain must have looked at times. Below the school is what was known as ‘the clawnyeh’ – a rough piece of ground which most probably comes from the Irish ‘clochánach – stony ground’.
One of Dromintee’s most famous sons was the folklorist Michael J. Murphy, whose works At Slieve Gullion’s Foot (1941) and Mountain Year (1964) give an insight into the life of this rural parish many years ago.