Gap o' the North Hillwalking Club

 Cumann Siúlóid Sléibhe Bhearna Uladh 

Cnoic, Oidhreacht agus Stair ar theorainn Dheisceart Ard Mhacha/Thuaisceart Lú
 Hilltops, Heritage and History on the South Armagh/Louth border

Our new club banner with logo based on a detail from the Kilnasaggart Stone

 This is the earliest known map of the Gap of the North, drawn in early 1601 by Richard Bartlett, a cartographer with the English army under Lord Mountjoy which had tried to force the Moyry Pass against Hugh O'Neill's army and subsequently built Moyry Castle (shown just left of centre in the drawing). The river just to the right of the castle is the stream at Kilnasaggart, which the English called the Three Mile Water because it is three Irish miles from Dundalk. The Flurry, running down the centre of the drawing, was known as the Four Mile Water.


What we do

We walk every second Sunday starting from the Gap o' the North pub in Jonesborough at 10AM. There is a strong local focus on the Cooleys and the Ring of Gullion with occasional trips to the Mournes and further afield. As far as possible we try to combine each walk with some local knowledge of history or archaeological sites and interpretation of landscape to show farming and community development over the centuries.
Keep up to date with our Facebook page:  

Many of our panoramic viewpoints on the Ring of Gullion are highly recommended by British Military Intelligence
Walks last 4-5 hours and most are suitable for reasonably fit beginners,but,
Hillwalking is totally different to roadwalking. Please note safety considerations below - and wear boots with a deep tread, runners are never safe in the mountains and people
wearing them cannot
come out with us.
Après-walk socialising back in the pub is not
essential but we
guarantee you will
enjoy the stew,open
fire ,craic and a well earned pint !!!!