Every second Sunday
Meet at Gap o'the North Pub Jonesborough village, 10AM. Jump-off from muster point 10.30AM
Walks schedule 2012
(The schedule may be revised due to weather or other reasons. Check the Facebook page for latest news.We try as much as possible to alternate between Ring of Gullion,Cooleys,Mournes.
Projected Walk Dates 2012
Our schedule got upset due to clashes with other local events. Please check Facebook page
8/1/12 – Cooleys -Lumpers Car Park (J101 108 ) –Lissachiggel,Carnawaddy,Castles- 12 km -460 m total ascent
22/1/12 Ring of Gullion -Gap o The North Pub – Feede –March wall-
Killnasagart- Carrickbroad-Johnson’s Mountain – Glendooey-
Captains and Tievecrom Mountain- Forkhill (taking in Mory Castle,Cofracloghy and a couple of Ring-forts)
5/2/12- Ring of Gullion -Club one year old –Carlingford-Badgers Pad – Saddle-Barnavave-Famine Village –Grange Irish
19/2 /12-Mournes - Leitrim Lodge picnic area ( 224256) -Tievedockaragh -Pierces Castle-Tornamrock-Rocky Mountain- 12 km -470 m total ascent
4/3/12-Cooleys – Ferry Wood to Fathom Wood and Fathom Pass.
18/3/12- Ring of Gullion (Day after St.Patricks) Flurrybridge to Flagstaff
1/4/12- Mournes - The Big One -Donard Car Park (J375 306 )-Slieve Donard –
15/4/12-Cooleys Long Womans Grave -Grange,Mullaghboy
29/4/12 Ring of Gullion – Urney graveyard (Forkhill), Shean Mountain, Glendesha Mass Rock, Market Stone, Belmont Barracks
13/5/12 –Mournes - Bearnagh
27/5/12-Cooleys –Slieve Foye
10/6/12- Ring of Gullion Cnoc an Damhsa-Cashel mountain-Slieve na gCapaill-Mullaghans Road. Some great views of the "Ring of Gullion". A.G.M. ?
8/7/12- Cooleys -
22/7/12- Ring of Gullion –
2/9/12- Ring of Gullion -
14/10/12- Ring of Gullion
25/11/12- Ring of Gullion
23/12/12-Cooleys or Ring of Gullion
Here's what we did in 2011
1. Ring of Gullion 6/2/11 First Walk, Ravensdale Woods from Flurrybridge
2. Slieve Gullion 20/2/11 Slieve Gullion from Courtyard up along wire
3. Cooleys 6/3/11 Slieve Foye from Two Mile Water car park
4. Cooleys 20/3/11 Carnawaddy from Ballymakellet (Lumpers Pub) Wet day with about 24 people out.
5. Ring of Gullion 3/4/11 Flagstaff, Barranrilla and Fathom Mountain to Barracrick and Benson's Glen Hospice Fundraiser in Pub afterwards with Ryanne Sands and co. Great night !!!
6. Ring of Gullion 17/4/11 Dromad wood to Forkhill, via March Wall, Kilnasaggart, Carrickbroad, Johnson's Mountain, Glendooey, Captains and Tievecrom Mountain Kilnasaggart stone is one of the most important historical sites in Ireland
7. Ring of Gullion 1/5/11 Feede to Faughil - Dromad souterrain.30 plus people out, We climbed Faughil and talked about Cashel.Mountain fires in the distance today.
8. Ring of Gullion 15/5/11 Ferry Wood to Fathom Wood and Fathom Pass. Good historical walk, Botanist out with us. Among other things we looked at some of Irelands carnivorous plants, beautiful waterfall and welcome bowl of soup at Cornamuclagh.Bigger pot needed or get closer to front of queue next time!!!!!!!!
9. Ring of Gullion 29/5/11 Urney graveyard (Forkhill), Shean Mountain, Glendesha Mass Rock, Market Stone, Belmont Barracks Very enjoyable walk, 53 people out today- biggest numbers to date History around every corner ! Mickey McGuigan showed Seamus some townland boundaries.
10. Cooleys 12/6/11 Cadgers Pad from Tullaghomeath (Clermontpass Bridge) to Annaverna Re- traced historical route. Wet day but 30 plus people out.
11. Ring of Gullion 26/6/11 Flurrybridge to Flagstaff
12. Ring of Gullion 10/7/11 Bernish Rock to Keggal 28 people out-some tough walking because of burnt vegetation underfoot.
13. Mournes 24/7/11 Rostrevor to Knockshee via An Cloch Mor-Slievemartin, Slievefada, Knockshee. Beautiful sunny day, a few burnt heads !
14. Cooleys 7/8/11 Long Woman’s Grave –Mullaghboy 36 people out today. Great group photo on rock at White Bog.
15. Ring of Gullion 21/8/11 Cnoc an Damhsa-Cashel mountain-Sliabh na gCapaill-Mullaghan’s Road.30 plus people out. Some great views of the “Ring of Gullion”.
16. Mournes 4/9/11 Banns Road-Lough Shannagh-Doan summit-Slieve Lough Shannagh-Ott –Spelga. Torrential rain and poor visibility in second half of walk .No Doan summit !
17. Cooleys 18/9/11 Annaloughan loop walk. Annaloughan mountain -Lough- Sliabh na gCloch.22 people out. First walk starting at the earlier time of 10 a.m.
18. Westport 1/10/11 Climbed Croagh Patrick via pilgrim route and descended other side via ridge walk. This was our first trip away .43 people travelled, 39 of our people walked + 2 others making 41 in walking group. This was an excellent day weather wise.9 km walked Height gain 840 metres-maximum height 764 metres.
19. Ring of Gullion 16/10/11 Mullaghan’s Road- Duburren Mountain-McCooey’s Mountain-Topny (Sugar-loaf) –Sturgan Mountain. 30 people out, 4 hour walk.
20. Mournes 30/10/11 Leitrim Lodge –Slieve Moughanmore-loop walk. 25 plus people out. Great loop walk, wet underfoot as expected.
21. Cooleys 13/11/11 Slieve Foye – This was a day with very low visibility and a long walk as all those there will remember but Don’t forget All returned safely as promised !!
22. Ring Of Gullion 27/11/11 Flagstaff –Fathom mountain - Bensons Glen 23 people out. This is an enjoyable low level walk. Castle folly in Benson’s glen .
23. Slieve Gullion 11/12/11 Chambres car park – South Cairn – Lake –North Cairn-Ballard-Ballintemple Viewpoint – Chambres car park LOOP WALK 14.5 km
33 people out .First walk in snow.Very enjoyable 4 and half hours walk.
24 Ring Of Gullion 28/12/2011 Christmas walk -a great success-94 people out from pub -Ravensdale -Feede and back about 7.5 miles followed by a great nights craic in Pub.
See page 'Walks - History Notes' for background of each walk