On May 15, 1928, a local professional fraternity by the name of Gamma Theta Upsilon was formed at Illinois State Normal University under the guidance of Dr. R. G. Buzzard. Before that GTU was the Geography club at Illinois State Normal University. After three years, letters were sent out to other geography clubs suggesting the formation of a national fraternity. On May 15, 1931, the organization, consisting of four chapters, was announced. On March 5, 1936 Gamma Theta Upsilon was incorporated, then with ten chapters, as a professional fraternity in geography under the laws of Illinois. Gamma Theta Upsilon became an International Honorary Geographical Society in January 1969. To date more than 53,000 geographers have been inducted into the 220 chapters of GTU.