Lansing, MI. The capital city. A city of wonderful people, top notch restaurants and museums, beautiful architecture, gorgeous scenery, and home of the greatest beard and moustache club in existence.
Join us on Saturday, September 1, 2012 for an event like no other. We will be hosting "The First Great Lakes Regional Beard and Moustache Championship."
Come for the entire Labor Day Weekend, as GAFBO will roll out the red carpet for you (metaphorically, and perhaps literally).
As always, this will be a charity event to benefit both Haven House and the Lansing Cultural Exchange Program.
- Michigan Miletus
- This category is
open to both women and men. Contestants must sport a Dongel beard (real
or fake) and dress like Miletus Callahan-Barile of the Austin Facial
Hair Club. Overalls, a cowboy cap, curly dark hair are all good ideas.
A rabbit costume could also do you well. And anyone who shows up
wearing an airbrushed shirt with Miletus' name on it will get bonus
points. This picture from Esquire is a common look for him. For more ideas, check out this Google image search.
- Styled Sideburns/Muttonchops/Friendly Muttonchops
- Chin area must be shaved. No wires, pins, paper, or other solid structural supports allowed.
Acceptable styling aids are hair spray, gell, wax, cream, mousse, glue, and other hair styling aids.
- Goatee (with moustache okay)
- Styled Goatee (with moustache okay as well)
- Facial Hair grown only on chin, upper and lower lip.
Beard and moustache may be styled using styling aids. Moustache not required.
- Business Beard
- This category is for shorter beards groomed by means of shaving and
trimming. There must be an unbroken line of unshaven face from the
temple to the chin to the other temple. Short, tight, and edged.
- Groomed Beard (specifications coming soon)
- This category is for shorter full beards groomed by means of shaving,
triming, and/or the use of styling products. There must be an unbroken
line of unshaven face from the temple to the chin to the other temple. Beards must not exceed 6 inches.
- Full Beard Natural
- No styling aids, artificial or natural. Conditioning, shampooing, minor trimming and other grooming methods are allowed. No tips, shapes, or points facing upwards (which means no styled moustache. Face must have an unbroken line of facial hair from ear to ear across the face.
- Full Beard w/styled moustache
- Styling aids may only be used on the moustache portion. Conditioning, shampooing, minor trimming and other grooming methods are allowed. Face must have an unbroken line of facial hair from ear to ear across the face.
- Ladies Fake Beard/Moustache Most Realistic
- Make a fake beard, make it look real. Ladies only.
- Ladies Fake Beard/Moustache Most Creative
- Make a fake beard, make it look amazing. Bonus points for creativity. Ladies only.
- Full Beard Freestyle
- No wires, pins, paper, or other solid structural supports allowed. Acceptable styling aids are hair spray, gell, wax, cream, mousse, glue, and other hair styling aids. Face must have an unbroken line of facial hair from ear to ear across the face.
- Miletus Callahan-Barile of the Austin Facial Hair Club
- Tori Steffy - Owner/operator of Studio 109 Hair Salon in Lansing.
- John Miller - Owner/barista of Artie's Filling Station
- Other judges to be announced soon.
Labor Day Weekend is chock full of entertainment goodies for you. Some highlights include:
- GAFBO Bar Crawl - Join us on Friday, August 31 for a bar crawl in downtown Lansing. Drink specials coming soon...
- 7:00-7:45 Stober's Bar (812 E. Michigan Ave)
- 7:45-8:30 Moriarty's Pub (802 E. Michigan Ave)
- 8:30-9:15 Taps 25 (414 E. Michigan Ave)
- 9:15-10:00 The Tin Can (Corner of Museum Drive and E. Michigan)
- 10:00 - ??? Waterfront Bar and Grille (325 City Market Drive)
- Michigan Mosaic Festival - A celebration of diversity and unity with acitvities that include live bands, multicultural performers, ethnic cuisine, beverage tent, fireworks and more. The event takes place at Adando Riverfront park on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and is free.
- Dragon Boat Races - Various teams will race along the Grand River in in 40 foot long Taiwan style Dragon Boats, hoping to claim the trophy at the end, and bragging rights for the year. Teams consists of 18 rowers, one drummer, the helmsman, and the flag catcher. Come cheer for your favorite team. The event takes place on Sunday, September 2, and is free for spectators.
- Sunday Brunch with GAFBO - From noon to 2pm at The Avenue Cafe (formerly Gone Wired Cafe) located at 2021 E. Michigan Ave. We have the back room reserved, and will be getting breakfast/brunch specials. They have booze for all your hair of the dog needs.
- NACBMA Meeting
- Sunday at 2:00, location TBD (either at the Avenue Cafe or at the Tin Can)
Please note that due to Michigan State University not consulting with us when they scheduled their home football games, they have announced (after we announced our date) that Boise State University will be playing against the Spartans on Friday, August 31. The hotels in East Lansing and downtown Lansing have been entirely booked already.
Due to this, we are recommending that guests who are coming in on Friday night stay at The Lexington in West Lansing. It is 6 miles from the venue, but is a straight shot on the freeway for almost the entire way.
However, if you are only coming into town on Saturday night, the Radisson Downtown will allow you to never have to worry about transportation at all, as everything is within a few blocks from the hotel.
At either hotel, at check-in, please announce that you are here for the beard and moustache competition, and you will receive a packet of information about the weekend, entertainment and food options, and some maps of the area.
Order your tickets on-line at Brown Paper Tickets. All tickets are $10 for both competitors and spectators.