Match Reports

Munster Senior Club Semi Final

posted 3 Oct 2016, 11:04 by Tipperary Ladies Football

Brian Borus (Tipperary) :05  - Ballymacarbry (Waterford) 2:18

Tipperary Senior Champions had home advantage for this semi final clash played in Clonmel Sportsfield on Sunday 2nd Oct last but it mattered little with a rampant Waterford side dominant throughout the game. Brian Borus were forced to field without the influential Jennifer Grant (injured) and the suspended Orla Fleming but it is doubtful even if these two players would have prevented a Ballymacarbry victory. The Waterford side showed why they have dominated the Waterford senior championships for the last 35 years since 1981 and are also the backbone of the Waterford Senior Ladies county side.

From the start county star Aileen Wall was on fire up in the Ballymac attack and turned provider for their opening score, a goal by Michelle Ryan. She then added a nice point of her own and the Waterford side were quickly opening a lead on the Tipp ladies. In the sixth minute Wall herself added a second goal and the gap was widening with every Ballymac attack. Brian Borus had possession but were unable to penetrate for the scores required. It took until the 24th minute when the hardworking Brian Borus midfielder Eimear Myles  scored a point for the Tipp side opening their account. By this stage Ballymacarbry were 2:07 to : 01 ahead. Sinead Ryan added another point for the Waterford champions before half time leaving the Tipp side 13 points in arrears on the half time whistle.

The second began with a further four points for the Ballymac ladies before Tipp's Eimear Myles added their second of the day. Ballymacarbry midfielder Marian Ryan was dominating the center of the park and also contributing herself from open play. With ten minutes played in the second half it was now 2:12 to : 02 and there was no way back for a battling Brian Borus side. It could have been worse for the Tipp ladies except for two fine saves from their keeper Nora Noonan who came out off her line bravely to deny two certain Ballymac goals. The Waterford ladies now introduced their subs but still they continued to pick off the points from play. Hickey, Sweeney & O’Dwyer added points for Brian Borus to leave the full time score Ballymacarbry 2:18 Brian Borus :05. Best for Brian Borus were Eimear Myles, Caoimhe Condon, Laura Morrissey and Captain Sinead Norris. For Ballymacarbry the Wall sisters, Linda, Mairead & Aileen together with midfielder Marian Ryan and forwards Sinead & Michelle Ryan were the stand out performers.

Brian Borus : N Noonan, A Meaney, C Condon, N Gillmore, C Condon, L Morrissey, S Norris, E Myles (02), M Morrissey, C O’Dwyer (01), P Hickey (1f), H Walsh, C Lyons, J Grant, A Sweeney (01). Subs: M C Walsh, C Walsh, M Murphy, L Murphy, E Kennedy, N Kennedy, S Maher, S Crotty, O Fleming.

Ballymacarbry: L Fitzpatrick, B Hogan (01), M McGrath, T McGrath, M Wall, K McGrath, L Mulcahy, L Ryan, M Ryan (05), A Wall (1:02), L Wall (01), E Cooney (01), L Guiry (01) , S Ryan (04), M Ryan (1:03). Subs : M Ryan, K A Hogan, B Valuntaite, M O’Gorman, S Hallinan, B Desmond.

Wins for Fethard, Cappawhite & Arravale Rovers

posted 18 Sept 2016, 08:59 by Tipperary Ladies Football   [ updated 18 Sept 2016, 09:17 ]

This week saw the conclusion of the Tipperary County Adult Championships 2016. There were three finals to be played in the Junior division at B, C & D grades. In the ‘B’ grade a very young but talented Fethard side would play an older more physically strong and experienced  Gortnahoe-Glengoole team. The ‘C’ grade saw the meeting of Cappawhite B and Lattin-Cullen in a match played on Thursday evening under lights in Clonoulty. In the ‘D’ division St Patrick’s ladies, seeking their first win would take on the ladies from Arravale Rovers.

Junior ‘C’ Final  - Cappawhite ‘v’ Lattin Cullen

This final was moved forward from Saturday to Thursday night by mutual agreement with the clubs due to clashes with Camogie fixtures in an effort to prevent players playing on consecutive evenings. It was a closely contested final with Cappawhite missing a number of good opportunities in the first half.  Latin – Cullen took theirs and were up 2-5 to 0-5 at half time. Cappawhite started the second half with a well worked point and then Kate O’Neill scored a fine goal to bring Cappawhite to within two points. Shortly afterwards Cappawhite’s Mary O’Meara got the sides second and what proved to be the winning goal. Cappawhite had to defend this lead and the defence was under considerable pressure up to the final whistle.  In the closing stages, Cappawhite goalie Una Aherne came of her line on a number of occasions to deny Lattin-Cullen. Final score Cappawhite 2:06 Lattin Cullen 2:05. Cappawhite goalkeeper Una Aherne received the player of the match award for her heroics in the Cappa goals.

Cappawhite : U Aherne, A Meagher, M O’Neill. E Renehan, T Maguire, T Barry, N Loughman, E Kelly, C Quinn, R Cummins, M O’Meara, D Buckley, A Buckley, F Renehan, K O Neill Subs: M Caplis, K Fleming, L Ryan, M Julian, M McHugh, C Murray, S White, S White, C Coughlan. Management : J White & K Devery.

Junior ‘D’ Final – Arravale Rovers ‘v’ St Patricks

This ‘D’ grade final brought together the ladies from the south & west in a clash at 4pm in Cahir on Saturday 17th Sept. St Patricks were seeking their first adult win having lost a number of previous finals. Arravale had already won the county league title earlier this year so were hoping to do the double.

The final began with both sides guilty of some early wides. In the fourth minute Arravale Rovers number 11 Caoimhe Comerford struck the cross bar and St Patricks survived the early onslaught. St Pats Deirdre Donovan registered the games opening score with a nice point. Her opposite number on the Arravale team, Sarah Ryan  cancelled this out almost immediately. St Pats had the games opening goal in the 12th minute when a rebound fell nicely to Niamh Keane who put the Drangan Cloneen combo ahead in the game. Helen Cremins replied with a point for Arravale. Arravale now began to inject some pace into their play and looked the more dangerous side moving forward with St Pat’s keeper Sadhbh Morrissey being called upon on two occasions to deny Arravale certain goals. Arravale now began to find their range and three unanswered points put the side ahead, Sarah Duggan, Caoimhe Comerford & Helen Cremins all registering points. Midfielder Emma Carey for Arravale was now beginning to dominate in the center of the field. Arravale had a penalty awarded after a fine save by the Pats keeper but the shot was blazed over the bar. The goal did come for Arravale in the twenty seventh minute after which the teams exchanged points. Into injury time St Patricks on a fast break caught the Rovers defence napping and when Sarah Walton offloaded to Deirdre Donovan the corner forward brought St Pats right back into contention with her sides second goal, 1:07 to 2:02 as we approached half time. Arravle finished with a point to leave the half time score 1:08 to 2:02.

Arravale Rovers began the second half in determined fashion and laid siege to the St Pats goal with the dangerous Sarah Duggan for Arravale finding the net within a minute. Pats keeper Sadhbh Morrissey made another save but shortly afterwards a goal mouth scramble saw a shot deflected into the St Pats net and another Arravale goal. Try as they might St Patricks could not get the scores now required to get them back into contention. They had introduced Siobhan Vaughan and Eimear Horan in an attempt to turn the tide. Arravle were now playing with some confidence and taking some nice points from distance. A fourth goal for Arravle in the sixteenth minute left St Pats with a mountain to climb as the game entered the final quarter. Points from St Pats by Caoimhe Ryan (2) & Niamh Keane left the score line at Arravale Rovers 4:13 to 2:05 as the game drew to as close before St Pat’s managed the finals last score, another Caoimhe Ryan point from play.

The cup was presented to Arravale Rovers Captain Joanne Duggan by Tipp LGFA secretary Siobhan Condon who also presented the player of the match award to the Arravale Rovers midfielder Emma Carey.

Arravale Rovers : R Butler, K Lonergan, Lauren Heuston, Niamh Kennedy, E Richardson,  N Richardson, A O Carroll, E Carey, M Curran Leahy, C Comerford, M Sheehy, S Duggan, H Cremins, J Duggan (Capt), : Subs: O Dunne, M McLaughlin, A Fogarty, C Cummins, E Sharpe, M Slattery, S Corby, B O Connor, K O Connor, C Flanaghan, K O Brien, M Carey, C O Sullivan, A Kenny, C Ryan.

St Patricks : S Morrissey, E Ryan, A Sugrue, B Wilson, G Fennelly, A Kelly, E Wilson, U O Brien, S Dunne, A Maher, C Ryan, N Keane, D Donovan, S Walton, N Dunne ; Subs H Hogan S Vaughan, S Sugrue, C Murphy, E Kenny, N Ryan, C Horan, E Horan, J O Mahoney, C McMenamin, M Ryan, E Ryan, R Horan.

Junior ‘B’ Final – Fethard ‘v’Gortnahoe/Glengoole

This final must surely be contender for a “match of the day” award such was its quality of football and closeness all throughout. These two sides served up an exhibition of ladies gaelic with neither side willing to concede defeat. A young (all minor) Fethard ladies side faced an older bigger and stronger Gortnahoe Glengoole side. Within a minute of the start Fethard center forward Laura Stocksborough had a fine goal but Gortnahoe replied with two points from Deirdre Dunne and an Ailish Langton free. Fethard had lots of quality possession but such was the pressure from the Gortnahoe Glengoole kicked five wides in as many minutes. Another Ailish Langton free put the sides level with sixteen minutes played, 1:00 to :03. Leah Cohen pointed for Fethard on eighteen minutes but once more Langton kicked Gortnahoe back on equal terms. Langton was now beginning to dominate and threatened every time when on the ball. Fethard’s L Stocksborough pointed to leave the younger side ahead at the interval 1:02 to :04.

The second half began with a Gortnahoe wide after which Fethard’s Kate Davey put her team ahead by two points. Davey was now coming into the game more and it was she who kicked another Fethard score to put three between the sides with nine minutes played in the second half. Gortnahoe introduced Aine Fahey and she made an immediate impact finding players with some neat controlled passes from around the middle of the field. Fethard introduced Niamh Hayes for Aine O Connell on twelve minutes with the game now beginning to find a nice pattern to its play. In the fourteenth minute the Gortnahoe Glengoole full forward had her sides first goal to equalise for the first time, 1:04 apiece and fifteen minutes remaining. Another Davey point and one for Deirdre Dunne (both frees) again saw the sides locked together on 1:05 each and nineteen minutes played. No spectators at the Cahir grounds were leaving as the game now see sawed up and down the field. Stocksborough for Fethard and Langton for Gortnahoe once more traded scores to tie things up at 1:06 each and twenty seven minutes played. Davey once more for Fethard put her side ahead and there then followed some debate when a powerfully struck shot from Gortnahoe Glengoole’s Dunne hit the underside of the cross bar and landed close to the goal line. The Gortnahoe side appeared to argue for the goal but following a consultation with his umpires the ball was deemed not to have crossed the line. Fethard had escaped and still held a one point lead with time up and into injury time. Not to be outdone Gortnahoe somehow managed the equaliser with the half’s last kick to tie the match again at 1:07 each and extra time now required.

The extra time began with a point for Gortnahoe and full forward Denise O Connor after which it took Fethard five minutes to find the equaliser from sub Niamh Hayes. 1:08 each at half time in extra time. The teams immediately traded points again, Davey for Fethard and Dunne for Gortnahoe to once more tie the scores 1:09 each and five minutes remaining. Another pointed free from Davey put her side ahead and Gortnahoe desperately tried for the equaliser but could only manage two wides as time played out. Players were beginning to cramp all over the field as the light faded. When referee Richie O Connor blew for full time both sides received a tremendous applause for what was a fascinating end to this Junior ‘B’ final of some quality.

Full time score Fethard 1:10 Gortnahoe Glengoole 1:09 (after Extra Time)

Fethard’s joint Captain’s Megan Cohen & Ciara Hayes were presented with the cup by Tipp LGFA Chairperson Mrs Biddy Ryan who complemented both sides on a wonderful sporting game of Ladies Gaelic football. The player of the match award was presented to Fethards’ Kate Davey for her performance and fine scores. Gortnahoe Glengoole’s Ailish Langton also put in an incredible effort during the game for the defeated side who lost nothing in defeat such was their effort throughout.

Fethard : R Prout, M E Ryan, S Ryan, C Davey, M O Meara, L Dowling, C Hayes (J C), K Davey, L Spillane, M O’Connell, L Stocksborough, M Cohen, (J C), S Delaney, L Cohen, A O Connell. Subs: A Connolly, N Hayes, K Ryan, M Fitzgerald, J Dowling, S Horan, S Butler, N Spillane, C O’Meara.

Gortnahoe Glengoole : D Cashin, M Cleary, A Mullen, N Rice, S Power, E Slattery, S Holden, S Healy, H Bourke, A Langton, D Dunne, T Bulfin, A Slattery, D O Connor, L Bourke (Capt) Subs: S Hayes, D Skehan, S Maher, M Ryan, R Troy, H Costelloe, K Burke, M Power, O Healy, L Healy, L Bourke, A Fahey, M A Purcell.

Cappawhite B 2:06 Lattin Cullen 2:05

posted 16 Sept 2016, 10:34 by Tipperary Ladies Football

Junior C final . Match report awaited . 

County Finals 10th Sept.

posted 11 Sept 2016, 07:02 by Tipperary Ladies Football

County Finals Saturday 10th Sept 2016

In a feast of top class club action Tipperary LGFA hosted three county finals on Saturday 10th September in Galtee Rovers grounds, Bansha. There were three county titles up for grabs. In the senior final Brian Borus the defending champions were pitted against an Aherlow side containing some experienced inter county players also. The Intermediate final saw a clash between an experienced Ardfinnan outfit and a youthful Templemore team who have made the journey from Junior ‘B’ to Intermediate in successive seasons. The Junior ‘A’ decider saw the meeting of Clonmel Commercials and Thurles Sarsfields in the opening game at 12 noon.

Tipp LGFA  :  Senior Championship Final – Brian Borus ‘v’ Aherlow

This was a game that saw Brian Borus the defending champions installed as red hot favourites in many people’s eyes. This team  have  years of experience playing as a senior side and can call upon a number of players featuring on county sides, past and present. As the game began it was Brian Borus  who took the finals opening score from Jennifer Grant playing at full forward. The opening minutes were all Brian Borus with Aherlow having to defend deep. With twelve minutes played Aherlow keeper Emer McCarthy was called to made a fine save at a stage when Boru’s were threatening to open the flood gates . This save seemed to inspire Aherlow and they got themselves back into contention with points from Aine Staunton & Grainne Condon. Up front for Boru’s Patricia Hickey was the target woman and was picking off the points from frees and open play.  The best move of the game saw Mairead Morrissey for Borus playing as a deep midfielder gain possession and carry fast ball forward before unloading to team mate Jennifer Grant. Grant continued the move before finding the flying corner forward Amy Sweeney who, with a little work still to do blasted the games opening goal to the net. With the score now at 1:04 to 02 for Brian Borus and approaching half time Aherlow needed a finish and this came courtesy of centre back Aine Staunton who was impressing with her strong runs. Staunton unleashed a powerful shot from all of thirty yards which gave the Boru’s keeper no chance with its ferocity. 1:05 to 1:03 and now it was Aherlow who began to grow in confidence with Captain Siobhan Condon also having added a nice point from play in the twenty eigth minute. Boru’s Trisha Hickey ended the half with another pointed free to leave just three between the sides at half time.

The second half had only begun when play was stopped for injuries to Aherlows Brid Condon and Boru’s Eimear Myles with both players needing attention. When play resumed referee Keith Delahunty produced a yellow card for Boru’s Myles who was deemded the guilty party in the collision. The two teams now traded points with Staunton for Aherlow and another free from Boru’s Hickey to leave the gap still at 3 points, 1:07 TO 1:04 and fourteen minutes played. Aherlows Claire Mullins now began unsettling the Brian Borus defence with her fast runs through the middle and it was this player who also kicked the scores that brought Aherlow within winning distance of this game. Three points from Mullins saw the scores at 1:08 to 1:07 before another Hickey free gave Brian Borus some breathing room with three minutes remaining and restoring their two point advantage. Both sides now exchanged some  wides such was the intensity of the defending and it was this intensity that saw Boru’s number 12 Orla Fleming given a straight red for a dangerous high tackle on Aherlow’s Mullins that left her needing attention. With the clock now in the red neither side could add to their totals and it was Borus who took the title having answered the many questions Aherlow had asked during the course of the game.

Brian Borus 1:09 Aherlow 1:07. The cup was presented to winning captain Sinead Norris by county chairperson Mrs Biddy Ryan. Player of the match trophy was awarded to Boru’s player Laura Morrissey by Tipp LGFA secretary Ms Siobhan Condon.

Brian Borus : N Noonan, A Meaney, N Gilmore, M C Murphy, C Condon, L Morrissey, S Norris(capt), E Myles, M Morrissey, C O’Dwyer, P Hickey ;08 (6f), O Fleming, C Lyons, J Grant ;01, A Sweeney 1:0. Subs: C Condon, H Walsh, C Walsh, S Maher, S Crotty, M Murphy, L Murphy, E Kennedy, N Kennedy, F Burke, C Hickey, S Kennedy, Z Lynch, K O’Brien.

Management Team : Billy Macken & Johnny Sweeney. Mentor, Aoife O’Dwyer. Physio  Michelle Slattery.

Tipp LGFA Intermediate Championship Final – Ardfinnan  ‘v’ Templemore

Saturday’s second final saw the meeting of Ardfinnan & Templemore in what promised to be an interesting encounter. In an earlier round Ardfinnan had gotten the better of the northern ladies but Templemore were now boosted by the return of some players from injuries.

The game began with an Ardfinnan wide and it was they who looked the more threatening in the games early moments. Templemore’s Niamh Long opened the scoring with a nice point from play and immediately afterwards she linked up with Aoibhe O’Shea who also pointed to give Templemore a two point lead. Ardfinnan were pressing forward but the Templemore backs were content to contain these attacks and then break quickly. A pointed free by A O Shea added to the Templemore lead and Ardfinnan had yet to find a way through the Templemore defence where county players Maria Curley, Louise Cadell together with dual stars Miriam Campion and Christina Brennan were doing well. In the eight minute Templemore were reduced to fourteen players when their number 7 Christina Brennan was sin binned for a personal foul on Ardfinnan Captain Claire Hally as she attempted to break through the Templemore defence. Despite the sin binning it was Templemore who scored next with another nicely taken point by free taker Aoibhe O’Shea. Free taker O’Shea then turned provider when she off loaded to older sister and midfielder Lorraine who made no mistake with a powerful run and finish to the Ardfinnan net to put Templemore ahead 1:04 to :01 and sixteen minutes played.  Templemore’s Brennan now rejoined the action following her sin binning but almost immediately another player was sin binned when referee R O Connor  adjudged that Templemore’s number 4 Aine Greed had committed an indiscretion. Templemore nevertheless finished the half with another two points from A O’Shea (1f) following some good work by full forward Niamh Treacy and Kate Cashman in midfield. Ardfinnan were best served in this half by Laura Dillon, Samantha Lambert and Claire Hally but the Templemore defence and midfield were well on top throughout.  Half time score Templemore 1:06 Ardfinnan: 01.

The second half began with Ardfinnan pressing hard in an attempt to narrow the gap with Templemore still reduced to 14 players. A point from their number 5 Laura Dillon playing in the forwards was then followed by a lengthy lay off when Templemore’s midfielder Lorraine O’Shea required on field treatment for a nasty facial injury received from a flying elbow when in possession. Strangely the free was then awarded against Templemore when play resumed and without the midfield player who required further treatment off the field. The game changed in Ardfinnans favour  when Templemore’s full back was sin binned with ten minutes played and Templemore ahead 1:06 to :02. Templemore Keeper Katie Bourke now made an excellent finger tip save when Ardfinnan Captain Hally looked certain to score. With twenty two minutes played Templemore were now forced to defend and when Ardfinnan were awarded a penalty it looked as if the game might be about to turn on its head. However Ardfinnan’s and Laura Dillons shot went narrowly wide when a goal was badly needed. Alice Tobin then had Ardfinnans 3rd point from play but the gap was still seven points in favour of the fourteen player Templemore side. Maria Curley rejoined the fray following her sin binning and midfielder Lorraine O’Shea quickly followed her for Templemore. With numbers and parity restored Templemore quickly regained the momentum with the impressive Miriam Campion stroking over another point. Ardfinnan replied to make the scoreline 1:08 to :04 but again it was Templemore through county player A O’Shea who finished the stronger adding two further points (1f) to leave the full time score Templemore 1:10 Ardfinnan :04.

Ardfinnan will be disappointed but on the day they were defeated by a stronger side who came out on top in most areas of the field. Cashman & O’Shea in midfield, Campion, Cadell & Brennan in the half back line all impressed throughout. Up front the forwards all gelled together with A O Shea (:08) accurate from frees and open play. Long & Treacy did Trojan work for Templemore against an older and more physical Ardfinnan side.

The cup was presented to Templemore Captain and fill back Maria Curley who thanked all their supporters and management team for their efforts the past number of years. Player of the match award was presented by Tipp LGFA & Munster Sec Ms Siobhan Condon and went to Templemore’s full forward Niamh Treacy.

Templemore : Katie Bourke, Katie Collins, Maria Curley (Capt), Aine Greed, Miriam Campion (:01), Louise Cadell, Christina Brennan, Kate Cashman, Lorraine O’Shea (1: 0), Aoibhe O’Shea (08 (5f), Elaine Fitzpatrick, Niamh Long (:01), Caoimhe Burke, Niamh Treacy, Ruth Butler. Subs: S Buckley, R Collins, D Kirwan. C Nyland, L McGrath, O Maher, A Ormond, C O Brien,A Delaney, A Kelly, M Eviston, K A Bergin, S Cahill, L O Toole.

Management : Sean Cashman, Tony Collins & Mary Butler. First Aid, Margaret Bergin.


Tipp LGFA  Junior ‘A’ Championship Final – Clonmel Commercials ‘v’ Thurles Sarsfields

The Junior ‘A’ championship final opened proceedings in Bansha on Saturday 10th Sept with an encounter between two young sides battling it out for the title. These two sides are well acquainted with one another and very little between them in the recent times.

Both sides began brightly and Thurles Sarsfields took the lead after Clonmels opening score from Sarah Ryan. Clodagh Irwin & Andrea Loughnane showing well for the “Sars” Ladies with a point apiece.. With twenty two minutes played it remained Thurles Sarsfields :03 to Clonmel’s :01 as both sides sought the openings. The next two minutes however proved something of a purple spell for Clonmel  Commercials when forward Sarah Ryan took a hold on proceedings and contributed her second point from a free and immediately afterwards rocked Sarsfields with another goal and a point to put Clonmel ahead 1:03 to :03. Thurles Sarsfields replied with a pointed free and this half had come to life as both sides battled for supremacy approaching the half hour mark. Clonmels Saoirse McGeever down on programme as number 2 was now playing in the forwards and linking up nicely with Anna Carey at number 15. Clonmels Aisling Deely received an injury and was replaced by Courtney Lonergan. Trailing by two points Sarsfields now upped their game and were rewarded when their full forward Ciara O’Dwyer finished to the net to put Thurles Sarsfields ahead approaching half time, 1:04 to 1:03. The two sides now traded points after S Ryan had levelled for Clonmel. Half time score Thurles Sarsfields 1:05 Clonmel Commercials 1:05

The second half began with a Clonmel whirlwind with a point from C Lonergan which was followed by a fine goal from Anna Carey to put the Clonmel side ahead 2:06 to 1:05. Sarsfields keeper Holly O’Dwyer was forced into a fine save almost immediately from the now marauding Anna Carey who then added a point to put Clonmel ahead 2:07 to 1:05. Clonmels Siobhan Murchan was sin binned for a personal foul in the fourteenth minute after which the teams traded points once more. Clonmels S Ryan now added a point from a free to put Clonmel ahead by six with tem minutes remaining. Sarsfields were dealt a blow when corner back Rebecca Loughnane was sin binned with five minutes remaining. Thurles Sarsfields now required goals with time running out but the Clonmel defence stood up to the challenge and it was they who finished proceedings with two points from Ava Fennessy (1F) in the dying moments.

Full time score : Clonmel Commercials 2 :11 Thurles Sarsfields 1:06

The Cup was presented by Ms Siobhan Condon Tipp LGFA to Dara Walsh Captain of the winning side. Player of the match award went to the impressive Anna Carey who had played a roving role from corner forward to such deadly effect.

Clonmel Commercials :  Anne Marie Landers, Saoirse McGeever (01), Sally Quinlivan, Tanya Peters, Martha Faulkner, Niamh Mackey, Dara Walsh (Capt), Sarah Ryan (1:06 (4f), Caoimhe Bowles, Betty Barlow, Keely O’Reilly, Zoe Farrell, Aisling Deely, Lorna Ni Cheallaigh, Anna Carey (1:01). Subs Ava Fennessy (02), Shannon Keating, Aoife Doyle, Kate Barlow, Courtney Lonergan (:01), Emily Corcoran, Hayleigh Lonergan, Michelle Keogh, Karen Kavanagh, Siobhan Murchan.

Management : Tom O’Ceallaigh, Charlie McGeever, Brian White, Conal O’Reilly. Physio, Niamh White.

Next week end sees the finals of the county Junior ‘B’, ‘C’ & ‘D’ grades up for grabs.


Declan O’Shea


Tipperary Bow out to Clare TG4 All Irl Semi Final

posted 3 Sept 2016, 15:32 by Tipperary Ladies Football   [ updated 9 Sept 2016, 06:32 ]

Tipperary 2:16 Clare 3:14

Tipperary Intermediate Ladies Footballers have bowed out of this year’s TG4 All Ireland Championship following a thrilling encounter with a one point defeat to Clare in a classic game played at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick on Saturday 3rd September. Tipperary, the reigning Munster Intermediate champions were favourites for this tie but a fine Clare team were out to prove that their Munster final three point defeat to Tipperary on the 17th July was a once off.  

Before the game commenced Tipperary were forced to replace Cahir’s Aishling Moloney who failed a late fitness test following an injury received in a club game two weeks earlier. Clare made one switch  changing their goalkeepers before the throw in.

Tipperary were first to attack from the throw in but registered the games first wide from mid fielder Lorraine O’Shea with less than 20 seconds played. Tipp’s opening score came from a placed ball by full forward Aisling McCarthy. Another Tipp wide from Tipp’s Edith Carrol was then followed by Clare’s opening score from a free by Clares’ top scorer Niamh O’Dea in the tenth minute. A Mairead Morrissey point from play cancelled this out and Tipp now enjoyed a small patch of dominance scoring three unanswered points from play, Orla O’Dwyer, Catriona Walsh & Aisling McCarthy in the 21st minute. Tipp now lead by four points but Clare were beginning to settle more and began causing problems at the back with their ability to break fast unsettling the Tipp defence. They now narrowed the gap scoring two points to leave only two between the sides. Tipp once more surged ahead with some nice play resulting in two more points from Morrissey & Myles in the 23rd & 24th minutes. As the first half drew to a close it was Clare who finished the stronger forcing Tipp keeper Patricia Hickey into a point blank save in the 27th minute. Clare corner forward Ciara Hickey struck a nice point for Clare and almost immediately from the kick out Clare were in for the games opening goal which full forward Niamh O’Dea took with some style. Clare midfielder Louise Henchy now added a Clare point and Tipp were in some disarray and on the back foot for the first time in the game. A second Niamh O’Dea goal was a hammer blow to Tipp in the 3rd minute of injury time but to their credit Tipperary once more gained some momentum and replied with two points from a McCarthy free and a Myles point from play. Tipp now attacked in numbers and following some hectic goalmouth covering from the Clare defence the ball eventually broke to Tipp’s Catriona Walsh who stroked home a very welcome Tipp goal in the 37th minute. Half time score Tipperary 1:09 Clare 2:07 and all to play for in the second half. This game was proving every bit as close an encounter as the Munster final between these two sides.

The second half began with a Clare whirlwind and before Tipp had time to settle into any shape following the throw in Clare laid siege to the Tipp goals. Three Clare scores followed in quick succession and all Tipp's earlier good work towards the end of the first half was undone. A goal and two points were added to the Clare scoreboard courtesy of Hickey and Considine and Tipp suddenly found themselves six points in arrears. Tipp’s Jennifer Grant now appeared to be carrying an injury which was limiting her attacking game from defence. Tipp now made a change with Cahir’s Emma Buckley and Roisin Howard replacing Brian Borus Laura Morrissey and Galtee Rovers Edith Carroll in the 6th minute. Tipperary clawed back three points from McCarthy, O’Shea & Grant in the next four minutes and this game was anyone’s for the taking it seemed. Niamh O’Dea restored Clare’s four point advantage but Tipp’s McCarthy replied with a fine Tipp point. There was now some noticeable urgency in the Tipp play and they were rewarded when Roisin Howard had Tipp's second goal following good work by Catriona Walsh. The sides were now level half way through the second half and it was Tipp asking the questions. Clare’s O’Dea now restored the Clare lead but two pointed frees from McCarthy put Tipp one up with the clock counting down. Tipp introduced Kate Davey for Catriona Walsh in the 27th minute but immediately Clare drew level once more with another O’Dea point and almost immediately Clare took the lead with a free from the same player. With two minutes remaining Tipp needed a big finish but were now guilty of three wides, two from play and a difficult free. Tipp forced a 45m ball with less than 13 seconds remaining but as Tipp's Emma Buckley attempted a quick pass a Clare player kicked the ball away. Controversially Mayo referee Gerry McMahon did not award a 21m free as a result or reset the clock which now saw less than three seconds remaining as Tipp attempted an equaliser from a retaken 45m ball.

The final hooter sounded as Tipp attempted to find an angle to shoot and their year was over. Clare deserved their win on the day and now go on to meet Kildare in this year’s TG4 LGFA All Ireland Intermediate final on the 25th September.

Final score : Tipperary 2:16 Clare 3:14.

Tipperary : Patricia Hickey, Laura Morrissey, Samantha Lambert (Capt), Brid Condon, Anne O Dwyer, Cliona O Dwyer, Jennifer Grant (01), Lorraine O Shea (01), Sheelagh Carew, Edith Carroll, Mairead Morrissey (02), Eimear Myles (02), Orla O Dwyer (01), Aisling McCarthy (08, 4f), Catriona Walsh (1:01)

Subs Used : Emma Buckley for Laura Morrissey, Roisin Howard for Edith Carroll, Clare Mullins for Eimear Myles,  Kate Davey for Catriona Walsh.

Panel :Lauren Fitzpatrick,  Sinead Delahunty, Barbara Ryan, Bernie Ryan, Aoife Ryan, Maria Curley,  Aoibhe O Shea, Siobhain Condon, Elaine Fitzpatrick, Louise  Cadell, Grainne Condon

Management : Gerry McGill, Peter O Leary, Una O Brien, Jim Kilty, Michael Nash, Richard O Brien. Physio: Marie Aherne.

TG4 All Ireland Intermediate Quarter Final.

posted 21 Aug 2016, 05:32 by Tipperary Ladies Football   [ updated 21 Aug 2016, 14:23 ]

TG4 LGFA All Ireland Ladies Intermediate Football Quarter Final

Tipperary 5:13 - Wicklow 0:03

Tipperary Ladies Football have earned their place in this year’s All Ireland intermediate semi final following an emphatic win over a disappointing Wicklow side, 5:13 to :03 on Saturday 20th Aug. This game was something of a damp squib as the expected challenge from a Wicklow team never materialised. The only challenge was provided by the monsoon like weather conditions which deteriorated immediately the game commenced. The St. Lomans Mullingar pitch quickly turned into a swimming pool as the first half progressed. At one stage during the first half the referee was seen to consult with the fourth official and the game looked in doubt.

From the throw in Tipp midfielder Lorraine O’Shea won possession and travelled through the middle for Tipp’s opening score and this was to be as good as it got for the Wicklow side. Despite having some good possession in the following minutes Wicklow failed to make use of it being guilty of some wides from play and placed balls. As the heavens opened Tipp seemed to handle the conditions better and made less handling mistakes. In the seventh minute some nice defending saw the ball quickly worked up field with Mairead Morrissey and Edith Carroll eventually finding Tipp full forward Aisling McCarthy who made no mistake for Tipp’s first goal. Tipp too had their wides with corner forward Orla O’Dwyer hitting two and one from an Eimear Myles effort in the first quarter. The next five minutes were scoreless due mainly to the horrific conditions which made visibility and ball handling a lottery for all players. On fourteen minutes a shot from Tipp’s Morrissey which appeared to be going over for a point dipped and ended up in the Wicklow net for Tipp’s second goal. Tipp finished the half having added a further four points, McCarthy (3, 2frees) and O’Shea (1) with a solitary one point return from Wicklow, a free by centre forward Laura Hogan in the nineteenth minute.

When referee Jonathan Murphy blew for half - time the officials were seen walking the field and the game continuing looked to be in some doubt.

Half- time score Tipperary 2:05 Wicklow 0: 01

The half time break dragged on without any word as to whether this game would continue or not. Both teams remained in their dressing rooms for an hour before a further pitch inspection was seen to be conducted by the officials. Eventually both sides re- emerged and began a lengthy warm up process enforced by the long hold up.

Wicklow opened the scoring in the second half with their second pointed free but this was cancelled out immediately with Tipp’s O’Shea providing the final pass to Eimear Myles who opened her account. Tipperary were again dominant all over the field with Grant and the two O’Dwyer’s in defence superb and raiding forward when in possession. A fine point by Tipp’s Catriona Walsh followed when the corner forward struck from distance. Less than a minute later Tipp’s number 7 Jen Grant having followed through on a Tipp attack finished to the Wicklow net after Orla O’Dwyer picked her out nicely amid the rain and Wicklow defenders. Tipperary added the next four points with O’Dwyer, McCarthy, Morrissey and Myles all finding the range in difficult conditions. Midway through the second half an Edith Carroll shot from distance once more deceived the Wicklow keeper and dropped into the net for another Tipp goal and the game was effectively over as a contest. Tipperary introduced Emma Buckley for Jennifer Grant who had once more given a fine performance for the premier ladies. In the eighteenth minute Wicklow had their first score from play with a point from Captain Laura Hogan. A Tipp double substitution saw Kate Davey and Sinead Delahunty introduced for Walsh and Laura Morrissey. Tipp keeper Patricia Hickey who had little to do all day made a fine save in the twenty first minute when saving point blank from Wicklow’s full forward Helena Dowling. Samantha Lambert then made a fine block as Wicklow continued to look for a consolation goal at the expense of a forty five. As the game fizzled out the rain continued to fall but it was the premier ladies who finished strongly with another two points from Aisling McCarthy and Tipp’s fifth goal from Orla O’Dwyer on the stroke of full time.

Final Score Tipperary 5:13 Wicklow : 03

Wicklow will be hugely disappointed by this performance and Tipperary will surely face much more difficult opposition in the semi final. Tipperary did what they had to do to ensure they reached the semi finals of this year’s TG4 All Ireland Intermediate series. Tipp’s opposition on the 3rd September will once more be Clare ladies who defeated Tyrone in the second quarter final. This semi final will be a repeat of the Munster final between these two sides which Tipperary just shaded on the day following a late surge. Clare will no doubt keen to avenge their Munster final defeat and this game has all the makings of another classic between these two Munster sides. Tipperary will be happy to progress and considering they were without the services of two first team forwards on the day will be pleased overall.

Tipperary : Patricia Hickey, Laura Morrissey, Samantha Lambert (Capt), Brid Condon, Anne ODwyer, Cliona ODwyer, Jennifer Grant (1:0), Lorraine O Shea (:02), Sheelagh Carew, Edith Carroll (1:0), Mairead Morrissey (1:01), Eimear Myles (:02), Orla O Dwyer (1:01), Aisling McCarthy (1:06, 3f), Catriona Walsh (:01)

Subs Used : E Buckley for J Grant, K Davey for A McCarthy, S Delahunty for L Morrissey, Barbara Ryan for E Myles & Bernie Ryan for L O Shea.

Panel : L Fitzpatrick, L Caddell, G O Brien, C Mullins, R McGrath, S Condon, M Curley, G Condon, A O Shea, E Fitzpatrick.

Management : Gerry McGill, Peter O Leary, Una O Brien, Jim Kilty, Michael Nash, Richard O Brien. Physio: Marie Aherne.

Fethard take u\14 Summer League

posted 18 Aug 2016, 07:37 by Tipperary Ladies Football

Congrats to Fethard Under 14 ladies on winning the Tipperary Summer League yesterday defeating Brian Borus 5:07 to 4:03. The shield was presented to Fethard Captain Carrie Davey by Ed Burke Tipperary Ladies County Board.

Under 16s win All Ireland in some style

posted 28 Jul 2016, 08:11 by Tipperary Ladies Football   [ updated 28 Jul 2016, 08:23 ]

All Ireland U\16 ‘B’ Final - Tipperary ‘V’ Louth

On Wednesday evening last the 27th July Tipperary under 16s travelled to Edenderry to play Louth Ladies in this year’s under 16 ‘B’ All Ireland Football final. Very little was known regarding this Louth side, who were appearing in their first final whereas Tipperary had previously won the competition on two occasions, 2009 & 2014 and been runners up twice in 2011 & 2012. Louth had qualified on merit after a strong Leinster campaign and had defeated Tyrone in the semi final by six points. Tipperary had won Munster after seeing off a strong Waterford challenge by four points before accounting for Roscommon in their semi final. For this final Tipperary would be without influential forward Clonmel Commercials Ava Fennessy. 

Tipperary’s management team made some tactical moves directly from the throw in dropping Anna Rose Kennedy back in support of her defence and Angela McGuigan listed at number 13 playing a more outfield role. This appeared to unsettle the Louth side and McGuigan had Tipp’s first score, a pointed free immediately. Louth replied with a nice point from Lauren Boyle but from here on Tipperary were the dominant side playing some lovely composed football and constantly on the attack. Lattin-Cullen’s Katie Cunningham was winning her inside forward battles and she put Tipp ahead in the 4th minute. There now followed an excellent passage of play with the defence moving the ball through midfielders Roisin Daly and Marie Creedon with half back Anna Carey continuing her run before firing home Tipp’s first goal in the seventh minute. Try as they might Louth simply could not make inroads in a tight Tipperary defence where Anna Rose Kennedy, Niamh Martin & Caitlin  Kennedy were impressive. Tipp midfielder, Creedon was mopping up too dropping back before passing lovely ball to her forward colleagues. Boherlahan’s Aine O’Dwyer at number ten was a powerhouse travelling up and down her wing at pace. Louth did manage two points in reply to the Tipp goal but McGuigan and full forward Sarah Delaney cancelled these out within a minute. McGuigan was now on song and added two more before midfielder Creedon also travelled forward to kick a fine point herself in the fifteenth minute. Even at this early stage it was beginning to look as if Tipp were fast becoming the dominant team. In the seventeenth minute Katie Cunningham, having made a clever run and getting in behind the Louth defence fired home Tipp’s second goal. This move was following a surge up the middle by Anna Rose Kennedy, Aine O’Dwyer and Anna Carey. Full forward Delaney scored a point from the kick out and Tipperary were quickly getting out of sight. Louth introduced a double substitution in an effort to stem the side. They scored their fourth point in the twentieth minute but then had three wides mainly due to the pressure from the Tipp defence where Lucy Spillane and Emma Cronin were making great blocks on the Louth attackers. Delaney added Tipp’s final first half score, a point in injury time to leave Tipp ahead at half time 3:10 to Louth’s :04.

Louth began the second half in determined fashion and for the first five minutes had most of the possession but only managed a point from play and two wides during this dominance. Tipp had made a goal line clearance during this period which further frustrated Louth Ladies. Tipp’s Ciara Halpin had replaced Katie Cunningham at half time and Tipp once more began to dominate and when full forward Sarah Delaney goaled again in the 5th minute the contest was as good as over. Fethard’s Lauren Dowling replaced her club mate Lucy Spillane on 12 minutes as Tipp began to use their talented bench. Muireann O’Connell (0:2) and a Niamh Martin point put Tipperary further ahead. Louth continued to press and were rewarded in the twenty-third minute with a fine goal from full forward Hannah Carolan. Cahir’s Christina Delaney replaced Aine O’Dwyer who had given her all for the cause. The two teams now traded points but it was goals Louth now required. Another Tipp substitution saw Emma Ryan replace Angela McGuigan and Ellie Ryan on for Anna Carey. Louth finished the final minutes remaining with three unanswered points but by then Tipperary were too far ahead to be caught. When referee Jonathan Murphy blew the full time whistle Tipperary were worthy winners on a scoreline of 3:16 to 1:12.

Following the presentation of the cup to winning captain Roisin Daly, the player of the match award was announced. For her strength, determination and consistency throughout the match Tipperary’s midfielder Marie Creedon was announced as the recipient.

Congratulations to manager Ed Burke and his backroom team of Peter Creedon, Tony Smith, Biddy Ryan, Trish McElwee and Physio Ollie Griffin. This was a team well prepared and knowing the game plan which they applied throughout the contest. The team played with a confident maturity making almost no errors throughout which is impressive in any underage team.

With a good number of this team and panel still underage next year Tipperary look well placed to defend this title in 2017.

Tipperary : Nicola O’Dwyer, Lucy Spillane, Caitlin Kennedy, Emma Cronin, Niamh Martin (0:1), Rachel O’Donnell, Anna Carey (2:0), Roisin Daly Capt, Marie Creedon (0:1), Aine O’Dwyer, Anna Rose Kennedy, Muireann O’Connell (0:2), Angela McGuigan (0:6), Sarah Delaney (0:5), Katie Cunningham ( 1:01).

Panel: Linda Murphy, Lauren Dowling, Caoimhe Comeerford, Ciara Halpin, Saoirse O’Meara, Laura Stocksborough, Christina Delaney, Sadhbh Leahy, Caoimhe Ryan, Emma Ryan, Niamh Ryan, Aine Hahessy, Ellie Ryan, Niamh Keane, Aoibhinn Fanning, Lauren McCormack, Ava Fennessy


Declan OShea

Tipperary LGFA PRO

Tipperary Win First Munster Intermediate Title

posted 17 Jul 2016, 14:48 by Tipperary Ladies Football   [ updated 18 Jul 2016, 07:19 ]

Tipperary Ladies Football – Munster Final - Tipperary 1:16 Clare 1:13     

Tipperary Claim Historic first Munster Intermediate Title

Today in Mallow Tipperary Ladies earned a hard earned but well deserved historic first Munster ever football title at this grade by defeating a strong Clare side. Behind by five points at half time Tipperary had it all to do with Clare’s Niamh O’Dea and Ailish Considine being the two Clare forwards doing most to deny Tipp the title.

Clare had the advantage of a fresh breeze during the first half but it was Tipperary who opened the scoring with two unanswered points from the Cahir duo of Aishling McCarthy and Aisling Moloney within two minutes. Clare however replied with a fine goal having cut the defence apart and Ciara Hickey giving Tipp goalie Patricia Hickey no chance. Clare followed this up with a point from Ailish Considine and Tipp were now behind by two points and it was Clare who looked the more determined side. Tipp’s Aisling Moloney had another Tipp point but now Clare hit a purple patch and scored three unanswered points to put the banner ladies three points to the good with sixteen minutes played, Niamh O’Dea and Ailish Considine doing the damage. Clare had a packed defence and were content to break at speed with these two being the targets up front. Tipp's Moloney and Catriona Walsh now hit two points for Tipp to narrow the gap but once more Clare fired over three of their own by way of an instant reply. Tipp tried hard to claw back the lead but when the Clare keeper saved well from Aisling McCarthy on twenty five minutes it looked ominous for Tipperary heading towards half time. Clare’s O’Dea had another two points with Tipp’s McCarthy managing a pointed free just before half time.

Half time score Tipperary : 06 Clare 1:08

Despite being behind by five points at half time anyone who knows the character and strength of this side were not giving up yet. Tipperary would have wind advantage in the second half but would also have to come out in a more determined manner and take the game to Clare for the duration.

The second half begun with Clare opening the scoring and again it was O’Dea who stroked over a beautiful point from play. Gillian O’Brien had come on during the half time break and she was now busy getting onto a lot of ball. The experienced Mairead Morrissey showed great determination to fist over a nice point after evading a number of tackles and there then followed three unanswered points by Tipperary, Edith Carroll with two and Gillian O’Brien with one. The play was slowly but surely turning in Tipp’s favour but a goal would surely be needed to swing the result Tipp’s way. Clare’s O’Dea had another point but the Tipp defence and midfield were now showing for early ball and Tipp’s pressure up front was telling and frees conceded were duly punished by Tipp’s McCarthy. Clare were not done yet however and Clare’s O’Dea was now coming outfield in order to get on more ball. Tipperary 0 :10 points Clare 1:10 with 11 minutes played into the second half. Two more pointed Tipp frees by McCarthy in the thirteenth and nineteenth minutes now saw just the minimum between the sides and Tipp were finishing strongly. Clare’s O’Dea again put two between the sides but not to be outdone Tipp’s Aisling Moloney immediately cancelled this out with a beautiful rallying point from distance. O’Dea for Clare and another Moloney point for Tipp again left just a point between the sides with three minutes plus stoppage time remaining. The turning point and decisive score came in the twenty ninth minute when following some wonderful defensive harrying work by Tipp’s Jennifer Grant and Anne O’Dwyer saw the ball moved quickly upfield. Moloney gathered the ball in the corner and when her pin point pass picked out the powerful run by midfielder Lorraine O’Shea who accelerated through the centre, the midfielder made no mistake with just the goalie to beat. Goal and now three points up Tipp were not to be denied but still Clare pressed for the goal but had to be content with another point from play. Tipp's insurance point came from Moyle Rovers Gillian O’Brien into stoppage time when she stroked over one of the sides best points at distance from an acute angle with thirty four minutes played.  The Tipp supporters were calling on the referee to call time which was now at his discretion.

When referee Seamus Mulvihill did call time there were wild scenes of delight for this Tipperary side and their supporters. This win goes a long way in making up for the disappointment of losing a replayed league final some months previously. This was a win forged from the longs dark winter training sessions in mud and rain. At no stage did these wonderful ladies admit defeat today when their backs were up against the wall. Each and every one of them gave there all for the Tipperary jersey. The panel is big and every player continues to contribute to this journey. Big calls were made before and during this game by the management who deserve the praises due.
Tipp will now move forward from this match, learn from it and be stronger going forward. They now await the winners of Down who play the winners of Wicklow/Roscommon in the qualifiers to decide their All Ireland semi final pairing.
It could well happen that Tipp and Clare may yet again meet in this year’s championship.
Final Score Tipperary 1:16, Clare 1:13.
The perfect ending to a perfect day !

Tipperary : Patricia Hickey, Laura Morrissey, Samantha Lambert, Anne ODwyer, Jennifer Grant,  Brid Condon, Cliona ODwyer, Lorraine OShea (1:00), Sheelagh Carew, Edith Carroll (02), Mairead Morrissey (01), Eimear Myles, Catriona Walsh (01),  Aishling McCarthy (5,4f), Aishling Moloney (05).

Subs Used : Gillian Obrien (02), Aoife Ryan, Kate Davey, Emma Buckley.

Panel : L Fitzpatrick, B Ryan, B Ryan, C Mullins, S Delahunty, S Condon, M Curley, G Condon, A OShea, R McGrath, R Crowe.

Management : Gerry McGill, Peter OLeary, Una OBrien, Jim Kilty, Michael Nash, Richard OBrien, Elaine Harte. Physio Marie Aherne.

Under 16s Qualify for All Ireland Final

posted 14 Jul 2016, 04:38 by Tipperary Ladies Football

Tipperary ‘V’ Roscommon Under 16 ‘B’ All Ireland Semi Final.

Banagher, Co Offaly Wednesday 13th July.

Tipperary 7:04 Roscommon 2:04

Older readers will be familiar with the term “You can’t bate Banagher”. Yesterday, Wednesday evening the Tipperary under 16 footballers travelled to Banagher in their attempt to beat Roscommon ladies team to earn a place in this year under 16 All Ireland final. This they achieved in with no little amount of skill and hard graft and football ability. Coming into the game we wondered how would the long layoff from competitive action impact on the team in general. Their last outing had been back in May in the Munster final after which followed a lengthy lay off for exams.

We need not have worried as once the game began it was evident that this Tipperary team were determined to follow in their younger, under 14 county teams path and make the final. Tipperary won the toss and elected to play with a fresh breeze. Tipperary had the first attack forcing a Roscommon save which went out for a 45m kick. From this Tipperary earned a free and the accurate boot of Angela McGuigan put Tipp ahead in the 2nd minute. Roscommon were enjoying plenty possession but once they hit the Tipp half back line quickly found their options limited. Such was the Tipp ladies determination that Roscommon were forced into hurried kicking or misplaced passing. Tipp's first goal arrived in the 4th minute when lovely interplay between Aine O’Dwyer, Anna Carey ended with the impressive Sarah Delaney at full forward finishing to the net. Less than three minutes later Anna Carey herself got through on goal and made no mistake. Both sides then had a number of missed chances but Tipp were on top in all areas of the field. Captain and midfielder Roisin Daly led by example and her work rate was outstanding. In defence or attack she carried ball effortlessly and was an inspiration to all around her. Roscommon had their first score from play in the twelfth minute but even at this early stage the writing was on the wall. This point was immediately cancelled out by a Daly point for Tipp. In fairness to the Roscommon ladies they continued to probe for openings and enjoyed their best spell in the next few minutes scoring another point and forcing Tipp keeper Nicola O’Dwyer into a smart save at the expense of a 45m kick. Tipp’s Ava Fennessy, fresh from her under 14 All Ireland success cracked a powerful shot off the Roscommon cross bar but made amends with a fine point from the kick out. Roscommon supporters got a lift in the twentieth minute when a long dropping ball aided by the artificial goalmouth surface took a mighty bounce and ended up in the Tipp goals. Roscommon 1:02 Tipperary 2:03. The Roscommon hearts were shattered almost immediately however when in the space of the next four minutes Tipperary scored two unanswered goals from center forward Angela McGuigan & full forward Sarah Delaney. Captain Roisin Daly added to the Tipp tally just before half time with another well taken point. A feature of this half had been the Tipperary ladies quality use of the ball when in possession. Passes found their targets and scores were well taken with players supporting throughout.

Half time score Tipperary 4:04 Roscommon 1:02

Roscommon opened the scoring in the second half with a point but once again Tipperary set them back with a lovely goal when Katie Cunningham and Sarah Delaney found ace goal scorer Ava Fennessy who makes no mistakes when in front of goals. The next two minutes saw yellow cards and sin bins for Roscommon’s number 12 Kelley Colgan and almost immediately Tipp’s Ava Fennessy also saw yellow for another personal foul. The sin bins did not affect the teams play however as Tipp continued to press forward. Roscommon hit three wides in their search for goals in the next few minutes. Tipp had introduced Muireann O Connell for Aine O’Dwyer in the tenth minute and Caoimhe Ryan for Marie Creedon in the twentieth minute and the girls blended in seamlessly with the Tipperary play. For Roscommon it was now damage limitation and they continued to try hard for the elusive goals but the sight of Tipp full back Caitlin Kennedy soloing forward and joining the attack simply indicated the Tipp ladies strength. Angela McGuigan had another Tipp goal before she was substituted by Linda Murphy who also goaled some minutes later. Roscommon eventually got some reward when their center forward Heather Payne scored a super goal from distance. Roscommon finished the scoring with a point from play to leave Tipperary deserving winners and looking forward to an All Ireland final on the 27th July against Louth who defeated Tyrone in the other semi final. . Final score Tipperary 7:04 Roscommon 2:05

Congratulations to manager Ed Burke and his backroom team of Peter Creedon, Tony Smith, Biddy Ryan, Trish McElwee and Physio Ollie Griffin.

Tipperary : Nicola O’Dwyer, Lucy Spillane, Caitlin Kennedy, Emma Cronin, Niamh Martin, Rachel O’Donnell, Anna Carey (1:0), Roisin Daly (Capt:(02), Marie Creedon, Aine O’Dwyer, Ava Fennessy (1:01), Anna Rose Kennedy, Angela McGuigan (2:01), Sarah Delaney (2:0), Katie Cunningham ; Subs Used Muireann O’Connell, Caoimhe Ryan, Linda Murphy (1:0), Saoirse O’Meara. Panel : Saoirse Fanning, Lauren Dowling, Ciara Halpin, Laura Stocksborough, Caoimhe Comerford, Christina Delaney, Niamh Keane, Sadhbh Leahy, Niamh Ryan, Emma Ryan, Aine Hahessy.


Tipperary LGFA PRO

Declan O’Shea

1-10 of 173