Congregational Chapel

Congregational Chapel

The old Congregational Chapel is situated on the road between East Ashling and Funtington (B2178) opposite the turning to West Ashling (B2146).  It was built in 1864 with stones from the fallen spire of Chichester Cathedral. It is described in Kelly's Directory as "neat" with 200 sittings.

There was great local interest in Methodism and Non-Conformism particularly in West Ashling.  George Banwell started preaching here in 1813. Between 1813 and 1864 licences had been granted to several houses in West Ashling, including the mill, to be used as dissenters meeting houses. 

The chapel closed between 1934 and 1938 and Mrs. Scott of West Ashling House then bought it, in order to avoid its conversion into a petrol station.  It became the scout headquarters and is currently a 'Time Museum' run by the Clocktrust.

.

From "The Parish of Funtington - A History for the Millennium"

Comments