Main road (B2178) from Funtington (West)
Old Chapel/ Clock Trust
Built in 1864 as a free church, from the stones of the old Chichester Cathedral Tower, which had collapsed.
It was used later as a scout hut and bought by the Clock trust as a Museum in 2009.
Built by Mr Alan Heaver when he married.
Red Cow Cottages 1 and 2
Two Victorian semi-detached cottages, which until recently belonged to West Stoke House, they have recently rebuilt by Gary Dack and replaced by Red Cow House (2009) where he lives and Spotted Cow House (2010).
Farm building conversion, c1965. Crane/ Stevens, Wood, Lee White and now ??
Farm building conversion, c1965. Rogers, Taylor
A bungalow built just before Second World War (1939-45) for Harry and Mabel Bulbeck. Damaged by bomb while Harry was the village air raid warden. (see his diary) It has been recently restored and extended and the owners are now Simmonds.
Rose Cottage and Bow Cottage
These two cottages are the only two remaining from the row of five cottages, which were hit by a bomb in 1940 with the loss of five lives. Knights continue to use site of other cottages.3
The cottages have been extended and improved by the owners Brookman and Hordern,
1 and 2 Blacksmith's Cottages
Blacksmith cottages were built in the late 19th century for Densworth House. The cottages have been extended and improved by their present owners, Miles and Gunning, who are descendants of the family who came to Densworth in the 1870s.
Hawthorn Farm and Equine Enterprises
Hawthorn Farm was a smallholding, the home of Miss Walton, before and after the Second World War. For the last fifty? years it has been the home of Mrs Patricia John, whose family moved to East Ashling Grange in 1948. She has the Equine Enterprises riding stables which the local Riding for the Disabled Group has used for the last 25 years.
The original bungalow was a gardener's cottage for Fourways. This became part of the Nethervale garden. It was rebuilt in 1988 and the first occupants, the Garretts live there.
A new house was built by Dugdale with a 3 acre garden including Little Acre and sold to Crossley. It was rebuilt by the Wands in the 1990s who live there.
The house was built in the first part of the 20th century and was occupied by the Miss Meads before and after the Second World War. It later became Mallam and Stones and has recently been sold.
Pond Farm (Yard)
The original Pond Farm was named after the pond, on the right of the drive and now part of Meadow Cottage. Pond Farm was owned by the Bulbecks who lived in two of three neighbouring Pond Cottages now called Christmas Cottage and Pond Cottage. The farm buildings at the end of Lye Lane are owned by Denis Bulbeck who used to live at Pond Cottages.
Built by Robinson c 1960. The most recent owners are the O'Connells
Horse and Groom Public House
Built in the 17th century as a blacksmith's forge. The initials of the original owner "IW" are dated 1753 on the front of the building.
has been a public house for a long while and the publicans since the war have been Carty, Googhan and Jonathan ? Michael Martell has retored and extended it to provide 10 Band B rooms and a good restaurant while keeping the village bar.
1 Horse and Groom Cottages
Since the war owners have included Welcome and Murray, now Pocock.
2 and 3. Horse and Groom Cottages
No 3 became a village shop with a tiny café and shop with Miss Gibbs c1960
and has now been added to No2 where it has been Lenaghan for c35 years.
Together with Horse and Groom Cottages, Trundle was owned by a builder, Harry Welcome. Trundle remains in the ownership of a member of his family.
Named after the Martin family who were farmers in East Ashling.3The home for many years of Mr Harry Sherwood, a prominent architect who designed Bowhill House and the County Hall in Chichester.3
Subsequent owners were Pinnager, Clarkson and Stevens and has now been the home of Mrs Lunch (previously Fleck) for c 30 years.
Orchard Cottage Orchard End
Bungalow built 1947 as a gardener's cottage on land formerly called Club Field, Small (1949) , Brown, Hoe. It was rebuilt 2002 by Garry Dack as chalet/bungalow
Built c 1965 on land that was formerly part of the orchard of East Ashling House. Seabrook, Haroun, Jones and now Laird.
Sandy Lane House
Built on land owner by Charles Goodger for his daughter Betty Murray c1938 and formerly called Merrifield. The name was changed by Hailey c1957.
Formerly Cobden Cottage, like Cobdens farmhouse. Cobden username for a prominent family of yeoman farmers the most notable of whom, Richard Cobden, became an MP and champion of social and economic reform after the industrial revolution.3
Formerly three cottages it has been extended and the thatch on the south side replaced with slate.
White Cottage (Nurse's Cottage)
Pond Farm Cottage
East Ashling House
This was originally an Elizabethan farmhouse and belonged to the Oakwood Estate from 1840. It is thought to have been extended by the Oakwood estate by the rebuilding of the eastern part. Tenants in the subsequent 70 years included a surgeon George Peskett whose family had local farming connections, Haines, a retired fruit merchant, and the well-known artist James Charles, who had 12 children. Owned first by Kirkby, Stokes and Russell, it belonged to retired stockbroker, Richard Thornton, from 1925-1949. He extended the garden with orchards and a tennis court and built a cottage for the gardener, which is still called Orchard Cottage. During the war it was let for a short time to General Sir Lashmer Whistler who commanded the Royal Sussex regiment.3
On the 1840 Oakwood estate map, Rosemary cottage is shown with its farmyard and pond.3
At one time owned by Stannah (Chairlift Company). Now Nicholls
Pipers Built in the 1960's for Miss Marguerite Keppel who used to say that she had requested the architect (Harry Sherwood) to design a house that could be built with her inheritance of £1000. Formerly she had kept dogs at Hazelnut Cottages and she died in 1968. Mr and Mrs Slater came next and Mrs Rusty Slater, an Australian, ran a small private estate agency from her home. Later owners were Stannah and Wall.
Main Road South side (continued)
East Ashling Lodge
East Ashling Farm
East Ashling farm has a flint barn with the name Kearvell carved in a rafter. The Kearvells were carpenters and tailors in east Ashling from 1800 and some of the family still living in West Ashling.
Knight's Agricultural Engineers - Forge Cottage
The Knight family have run the forge for five generations
Broadsoleadd Mss 41,484-41,494 1819-1920
Title deeds of a house, orchard and three cottages built on a close called Broadsole at East Ashling in Funtington
The property was described as a barn and close (1a.2r.) parcel of Broadsole, 1819, as a cottage, workshop and barn, 1823, and as a house, orchard and three cottages, 1873.
It is believed that the four cottages were rebuilt after this and were in the ownership of Densworth.
Tenants of Broadsole Cottages in the 60s included Gordon and Joyce Quennell
. Now they are now all privately owned and No 1 is Honeysuckle Cottage and No 4 is Cherry Tree Cottage.
No 2 Broadsole Cottages
No 3 Broadsole Cottages
Cherry Tree Cottage
Outside the village
The Sun House
Extensive changes and enlargement 2002.
East Ashling Nursery
Main Road (B2178) towards Chichester,
East Ashling Grange
Formerly called Densworth Cottage was the dower house of Densworth. It was once also called Cucumber Cottage.3
The eighteenth century house succeeds earlier buildings including a Roman Villa. Excavations in 1959-60 found pottery of the first century A.D. but failed to find the Roman building. The manor of Densworth dates from Norman times.The name Densworth indicates that ther was a Saxon homestead, owned by one "Dene. It was first listed in 1261 as the manor of Deneswrth. Some of the more notable owners of the manor of Denesworth were the Scardevills, Smyths, Farringtons and Crouchers. The clock on the Market Cross in Chichester was erected to the memory of Dame Elizabeth Farrington wife of Sir Richard in 1724. During ownership of the crouchers it was let to a succession of tenants including John Covert, a local land owner and Charles Baker, the future builder of Sennicotts.
James Johnson of West Broyle sold Densworth to the Nash family for £3475 in 1866. It remained in this family for five generations, always passing through the female line, until it was sold to the Gadsbys in 1983, to the Tassels and later to the Aytons.3
Sennicotts chapel was also built by Charles Baker who had fallen out with the Rev. George Bliss, the majority of Funtington accusing him of " spiritual oversight" and in 1829 petitioned to build Sennicotts church with the condition that " the vicar of Funtington shall not come there". It took a Privy Council decision to reverse the situation and 100 years later Sennicotts was added to the benefice of Funtington. The petition described " Funtington as an extensive parish containing divers villages, hamlets, and and dwelling houses which are at a considerable distance from the parish church"… And " Charles Baker pious desire to establish a chapel" which the Bishop of Chichester duly consecrated.3
Inside the church are Memorials to the Teasdales, relatives of Charles Baker and two other subsequent owners of the estate, Captain Geoffrey Bowes-Lyon and Mrs. Rowland Rank. The tablet to the latter is by the late John Skelton who identified the one to Christopher Teasdale as being by his uncle, Eric Gill.
North side (Continued)
One of three small country estates developed around 1810 on Saltbox Common. The remaining parts of the common were officially enclosed around 1834 and absorbed into the estates. Sennicotts was built by Charles Baker of the East India company, son of a Chichester surgeon. Sennicotts is thought to take its name from " seven cottages" on Saltbox common. Two generations of the Bowes-Lyon family owned of the property. When Sennicotts was let in the 1880s to prince and Princess Louis of Battenberg, Lord Louis Mountbatten's future parents, it was visited by Princess Louis' sister Alexandra, the future ill fated as Czarina of Russia. In the late 19th century the area became known locally as the 'Little Dukeries.
Oakwood Business Park
Now a preparatory school, it was one of three small country estates developed around 1810 on Saltbox Common. The remaining parts of the common were officially enclosed around 1834 and absorbed into the estates. The house was built about 1811 by William Dearling. It was probably designed by James Elmes. Pevsner noted the "Porte-cochere" on the west front and a the curved bow window at the back. William and his father John Dearling who was Mayor of Chichester, were brewers in Chichester. The house was subsequently own by Rev George Porcher and his daughter Charlotte Amelia and son in law, John Baring. John Baring's death grandfather Francis Baring founded Barings bank and became known as the first banker in England.The house is described on an 1840 map as Oakwood Hall. The Oakwood estate then extended from the borders of west Ashling nearly as far as Salthill. Grey Lodge in their drive to Oakwood was built for John Baring's butler Mr. Gray. (Note the changed spelling). On the John Baring's death in 1888, Oakwood passed to the du Pres, descendents of his Sister Emily who lived there until the Second World War the house was then bought by Captain Richard Fenn and the estate was bought by the Green family. The preparatory school opened in 1943 when Richard and Nora Fenn brought their private school back to Chichester after three years of the evacuation in a Cornish hotel.3
Now divided into apartments this was another of the three small country estates developed around 1810 on Saltbox Common. The remaining parts of the common
lly enclosed around 1834 and absorbed into the estates. Northlands was built by General John Gustavus Crosbie.3
- Personal communication
- Millington "Aspects of Funtington in the 19th Century" - see under 'General History'.
- The Parish of Funtington "A History for the Millennium"