The sweetness of the ham and the the smokiness of the sausage made a wonderful combination. Ingredients:
- 2 cups navy beans
- 4 quarts water
- 1 large meaty ham bone (or 1 LB ham hocks)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large ribs of celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 TB salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 10 oz chopped turnip greens
- 3/4 LB sausage (I used a slightly spicy, hickory smoked sausage)
- Wash beans.
- Either soak overnight or quick soak by bringing to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, and then covering and letting sit for an hour.
- Add ham bone, onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper to beans.
- Cover and simmer for at least an hour and a half (I let mine simmer all afternoon).
- Half an hour or so before serving add turnip greens and whole sausage.
- Right before serving removed sausage and ham bone from soup.
- Chop the ham and slice the sausage.
- Toss the bone and return the meat to the pot to heat for a couple of minutes and the serve.