- Garlic cloves from 3 garlic bulbs, unpeeled
- 4 cups of water
- 3 or 4 sprigs of oregano
- 1 Bay leaf
- Rind from Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)
- 4 oz ham, small dice
- 4 oz small pasta shells
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring garlic cloves, bay leaf, oregano and the Parmigiano Reggiano rind to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer for about half an hour or until garlic is soft.
- Drain the broth through a colander into a large bowl and pour the broth and the Parmigiano back into the cooking pot.
- Run the garlic cloves under cold water until cool and then squeeze the garlic out of the peel into a blender.
- Blend with some of the reserved broth to form a milky liquid.
- Pour the garlic liquid into the broth.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer adding the pasta cooking until al dente.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.