Friends of the Kaw's efforts have met with wide recognition, winning awards from many other environmental groups and government agencies. Our very active Board of Directors has helped us garner this recognition.
- In 2013 Mike Calwell received the Stream Monitor of the Year Conservation Achievement Award by the Kansas Wildlife Federation (pictured above on left.)
- IN 2013 Friends of the Kaw received recognition from the National Parks Service for our contributions toward the Kansas River being designated a National Water Trail on July 14, 2012 (pictured above on right.)
- In 2012 Laura
Calwell, our Kansas Riverkeeper, received the Stream Monitor of the
Year Conservation Achievement Award by the Kansas Wildlife Federation.
- In 2011 the Daughters of the American Revolution recognized Laura Calwell, Kansas Riverkeeper, for outstanding achievement in environmental awareness and the preservation of the natural resources of our country, its soils, minerals, forests, waters and wildlife.
- In 2011 Friends of the Kaw's Science Advisor, Dr. Cynthia Annett, received the "Award for Excellence in Pre K-16 Education" from the Kansas Association of Conservation and Environmental Education - KACEE.
- In 2010 Friends of the Kaw received the "Award for
Excellence in Conservation and Environmental Education in the
Community/Non-Profit" category by the Kansas Association of Conservation
and Environmental Education - KACEE. (See picture at the bottom of the
- In 2008 Mike Calwell received the prestigious "President's Volunteer
Service Award" from George W. Bush. The award was presented by EPA
Administrator, Stephen L. Johnson.
- In 2008 the Lawrence Arts Council honored Friends of the Kaw with an "Imagination and Place Environmental Award."
- In 2007 the Kansas Wildlife Federation awarded the Kansas
Riverkeeper, Laura Calwell, the "Stream Monitor of the Year Award."
(pictured below right with Steve Bender, Regional Representative from
the National Wildlife Federation.)
- In 2007 Mollie Mangerich, Friends of the Kaw President (pictured below
left with Laura Calwell) received the "Wallace Galluzzi Certificate
Appreciation" in recognition of exemplary volunteer service benefiting
the Douglas County community.
- In 2006 Mike Calwell received an "Environmental
Excellence Award for Individuals - Honorable Mention" from Bridging the
Gap in Kansas City, Missouri.
- In 2005 the Environmental Protection Agency Region 7 honored Friends of
the Kaw with a Regional Administrator's Award in recognition of tireless
dedication and work toward the restoration of Kaw Point and improving
public access to the Kansas and Missouri Rivers.
- In 2005 the Kansas Riverkeeper, Laura Calwell, received an Environmental
Excellence Award for Individuals - Honorable Mention from Bridging the
Gap in Kansas City, Missouri.
- In 2005 the Daughters of the American Revolution recognized Mike Calwell for his outstanding achievement in historical preservation for his work at Kaw Point Park.
- In 2004 Mike Calwell was a finalist in River Network's "River Hero"
competition. He was recognized at the international River Rally
Conference in West Virginia.
- In 2003 the Kanza Chapter of the Sierra Club recognized Friends of the
Kaw for outstanding achievement in "Protecting Our Wild Places."
- In 1997 the Kansas Wildlife Federation awarded Friends of the Kaw
the "Stream Team of the Year" Award for lobbying a bill that would
create a moratorium on any new in-river sand dredging permits in the
Kansas Legislature. Lance Burr, Mike Calwell and Patty Boyer led this
effort (see Lance and Mike with Kansas Riverkeeper at bottom of page