In the period of the depot’s use, from 1797 until 1814, a total of 1,770 prisoners of all nationalities (but mainly French and Dutch) died at the depot and were buried in the vicinity.
In 1914 the Peterborough Natural History, Scientific and Archaeological Society and L’Entente Cordial Society raised a memorial to these Napoleonic war dead, on the west side of the Great North Road. This monument consisted of a bronze eagle atop a stone column.
This memorial became a familiar landmark to travellers heading north along the A1.
Source: Local Heritage Initiative
A Detailed History >