Mission: The mission of the Friends of Boeddeker Park is to work together to make Boeddeker Park a space where people of all ages can relax, enjoy nature, socialize, and recreate in a safe and beautiful environment in the Tenderloin.
History: The Friends of Boeddeker Park held its first meeting in May of 2003. It has met monthly every since at the Boeddeker Clubhouse. Numerous members of the community attend these meetings, including representatives from Glide Church, St. Anthony Foundation, the North of Market/Tenderloin Community Benefit District, the Tenderloin Boys and Girls Club, the Tenderloin newspaper (Central City Xtra), the Alliance for a Better District 6, the Community Leadership Alliance, La Vox Latina, Presentation Senior Community, and the Safety Network Program as well as unaffiliated neighbors, representatives of City government, the Tenderloin police station, and the Recreation and Park Department staff. Soon after forming the Friends of Boeddeker Park started a monthly volunteer day on the third Saturdays. Friends of Boeddeker Park is a Park Partner with the San Francisco Parks Trust. We are working with the Trust for Public Land on the renovation of the park and clubhouse (see below).
- Winner of a one year grant from the San Francisco Arts Commission for a ceramics program and video project with Star Mountain Art for youth in the Tenderloin. Completed in June of 2008.
- Winner of an Innovator Award from the San Francisco Parks Trust to make the sandy plot in the park into a recreation area for kids.
- Winner of a Community Challenge Grant from the San Francisco Office of the City Administrator for a Community Bulletin Board with metal art frame by artist Amy Blackstone.
- Chosen by the Trust for Public Land to be one of three parks in San Francisco to be part of its $8 million plus Parks for People - San Francisco Initiative. This will mean a complete new look for the park after extensive community meetings that were held in 2009. Renovation began November 2012.
- Winner with Presentation Senior Community of the 2009 Crissy Field Community Hero Award for work to improve the park landscape and make it a beautiful area for all to enjoy.
- Winner of a 2nd Innovator Award from the SF Parks Trust to create "Saturdays in the Park" and "Tai Chi in the Park" in 2009.
- Partnered with the Tenderloin/South of Market Community Benefit District to host three band concerts at Boeddeker Park in the summer of 2009 through 2012.
- Meetings: Friends of Boeddeker Park meet on the 3rd Thursdays of each month at 3:30 pm at the Boeddeker Clubhouse, .
- Volunteer Days: Friends of Boeddeker Park hosts monthly volunteer cleaning and greening days on the 3rd Saturdays of the month (mostly) from 9 am to 11:00 am. Call first before coming.
- Tai Chi: Every Thursday at the park, 11 am to Noon. Enter at Eddy & Jones and walk back to Ellis St. garden.
Contact: Betty Traynor, Coordinator, Friends of Boeddeker Park
firstname.lastname@example.org, (415) 931-1126