Mission: The mission of the Friends of Boeddeker Park is to work together to make Boeddeker Park a space where people of all ages can relax, enjoy nature, socialize, and recreate in a safe and beautiful environment in the Tenderloin.
History: The Friends of Boeddeker Park held its first meeting in May of 2003. It has met monthly every since at the Boeddeker Clubhouse. Numerous members of the community attend these meetings, including representatives from the Tenderloin Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, Safe Passage, Celebration Gardens, Glide Church, the North of Market/Tenderloin Community Benefit District,the Tenderloin newspaper (Central City Xtra), as well as unaffiliated neighbors, representatives of City government, the Tenderloin police station, and the Recreation and Park Department staff. Friends of Boeddeker Park is a Park Partner with the San Francisco Parks Alliance. We worked with the Trust for Public Land on the renovation of the park and clubhouse. Friends of Boeddeker Park hosts Music in the Park, gardening at the Celebration Community Garden and other events.
- Winner of a one year grant from the San Francisco Arts Commission for a ceramics program and video project with Star Mountain Art for youth in the Tenderloin. Completed in June of 2008.
- Winner of an Innovator Award from the San Francisco Parks Trust to make the sandy plot in the park into a recreation area for kids.
- Winner of a Community Challenge Grant from the San Francisco Office of the City Administrator for a Community Bulletin Board with metal art frame by artist Amy Blackstone.
- Chosen by the Trust for Public Land to be one of three parks in San Francisco to be part of its $8 million plus Parks for People - San Francisco Initiative. This will mean a complete new look for the park after extensive community meetings that were held in 2009. Renovation began November 2012.
- Winner with Presentation Senior Community of the 2009 Crissy Field Community Hero Award for work to improve the park landscape and make it a beautiful area for all to enjoy.
- Winner of a 2nd Innovator Award from the SF Parks Trust to create "Saturdays in the Park" and "Tai Chi in the Park" in 2009.
- Partnered with the Tenderloin/South of Market Community Benefit District to host band concerts at Boeddeker Park in the summer of 2009 through 2012.
- Worked with The Trust for Public Land to organize community meetings on the design for a new Boeddeker Park and Clubhouse throughout 2012.
- Joined the community for the Grand Opening of the new park on December 10, 2014 and continues to collabrate with all of our park partners.
- Piano in the Park: Collaborated with Sunset Piano to bring a "sweet spinet" to Boeddeker Park's garden plaza in the Fall of 2015, www.sunsetpiano.com
- Art in the Park with live music and art on the 3rd Saturday afternoons, starting May 21, 2016 3 pm to 5 pm.
- Meetings: Friends of Boeddeker Park meet on the second Wednesdays of each month at 1:30 pm at the Boeddeker Clubhouse, .
- Volunteer Days: Friends of Boeddeker Park with Demonstration Gardens hosts volunteer cleaning and greening days in the Community Garden.
- Art in the Park: Live music, spoken word and visual art will be starting up in the Spring of 2016
Contact: Betty Traynor, Coordinator, Friends of Boeddeker Park
firstname.lastname@example.org, (415) 931-1126