Park History

The land on which Alexandra Park stands was in 1923 conveyed as a gift to the Cheshire County Council from Greenall Whitley & Company Ltd.

Warrington Borough Council, its current Owners did not come into 
existence until 1974.



On 30th January 1936 upon the death of King George V, the then Lord Mayor of the City of London set up a committee to consider what form a national memorial to the late King should take. 

In March 1936, the committee decided that there should be a statue in London and a philanthropic scheme of specific character which would benefit the whole country and be associated with King George V's name.

The urbanisation of Great Britain in the twentieth century has brought home to many public-spirited people the fact that the lack of open spaces must restrict the rising generation physically.

As a result, in November of that year the King George's Fields Foundation was constituted by trust deed to give effect to the scheme which was to create a string of playing fields in the United Kingdom dedicated to the memory of King George V(1865-1936). 

Each such field, open public space, is a registered charity in its own rite. 


Cheshire County Council decided to create a park in the large urban towns in its area as part of the scheme and decided to use the land provided by Greenall Whitley to create such a park to commemorate the late king and satisfy the requirements of the scheme.

There are 471 King George V playing fields spread all over the country. 

Each of the playing fields are distinguished as a King George V field by heraldic panels at the main entrances.


The panels for Alexandra Park are located on each of the gate pillars of the entrance at  the junction of Alexandra Rd and Fairfield Rd.      

During the remainder of 1936 and early part of 1937 the park was laid out as we know it today.






The park was officially opened as part of the new kings and Queens coronation celebrations.


 

As reported in the Warrington Guardian on the 15th May 1937 

"As the procession wended its way along Fairfield Road, a halt was called at the Recreation Ground, where Mr White unveiled two plaques of the King and Queen on the two Oak trees which had been planted to commemorate the occasion."

 

 

 

The Oak trees can still be seen today inside the park gates at the entrance on Fairfield Road. The trees are either side of the entrance


.

 

World War II (1939 to 45) changed the face of the park as the cast iron fencing that can be seen in the above photo was required for the war effort which caused the change to hedge based fencing that we still have to day.

 

In 1959 Cheshire County Council decided that the area would benefit from a library and decided to use some of the parks land for such a facility concreting the parks position as a major centre within the local community of Stockton Heath. 

     




Warrington became a Borough of Cheshire County Council in 1974 and became responsible for the park when it became a unitary council in 1998.




In 2010 The park was awarded Green Flag Status from the Keep Britain Tidy Campaign. The Park has retained its status during the annual re-inspection process in the succeeding years.


Green Flag Award Winner 2010/2011
Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park
 
Green Flag Award Winner 2011/2012
 Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park
 
                               Green Flag Award Winner 2012/2013
                            Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park

                                                                  Green Flag Award Winner 2013/2014

                                                                   Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park

                           Green Flag Award Winner 2014/2015

                        Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park

                                                                 Green Flag Award Winner 2015/2016

                                                                 Warrington Borough Council & Friends of Alexandra Park