A brief history of Albert Park

1873

Land acquired by Council

 

12th May 1877

Albert Park opened by Mayor –

“16 acres of terraced walkways making it possible to walk 5 miles around the park without traversing the same ground twice”

2 acres of Lake

1889

First bowling green opened in Albert Park

1891

Land adjacent to park (behind the library) - the site of the modrn day carpark – 10,000 square yards, purchased from Mr Clowes

1893

Bowling Green enlarged

1905

New Tennis Courts completed

25 new seats around tennis courts installed

79 yards of boundary on Gt. Clowes Street rebuilt

1906

New bowling green completed

Six classical statues installed on main avenue

Clock installed in bandstand

36 new seats installed

1907

50% of lake was cleared out

1908

Remaining 50% of lake was cleared out

11,031 players used the bowling greens.  Resulting in an income of £91

1909

3,467 tennis players used the 5 courts in Albert Park

 

1910

New entrance on Albert Park Road side of park was created

 

 

1929

New bandstand built

Amphitheatre formed

1931

17,400 players used the bowling green

 

 

1940s

Lake was drained and in filled

 Feb 1951

 Roy Bullock's history book 'Salford 1940-1965' states:

'Over 300 trees have been felled in Albert Park, Broughton, over the last three weeks, to make clear and level ground available for sports fields'.

Buy the book here: Salford 1940-1965: Twenty-Five Years in the History of the City of Salford

Click here to see some historic photos 

Information from:

Salford Local History Library
Salford Museum and Art Gallery
Peel Park, The Crescent
SALFORD. M5 4WU
Telephone 0161-736 2649
Fax: 0161-745 9490
E-mail local.history@salford.gov.uk
http://www.salford.gov.uk/leisure/museums/lhlibrary.htm

Subpages (1): Historic photos and maps
Comments