Feemind 2 Beamer is a xsl filter to convert Freemind/Freeplane mind maps into PDF slides. It is a WYMIWYG (What You Mean is What You Get) approach and can be a very efficient alternative to WYSIWYG products PowerPoint or Keynote.
NEWS!!! Version 2.04 Released (February 2012)
After one year of intensive testing the version 2.01 has been released.
Cloud-> block feature added.
Freeplane Latex equation hook compatibility
Added Feature: PDF metadata included (Title and Author)
Added Feature: Some cleanup in the generated PdfLatex code.
Added Feature: Figure captions (By: Rodrigo Goya)
Added Feature: Variable column width ("leftcolumnwidth" attribute)
Added Feature: Framestyle generic options included
Added Feature: Appendix mode allowed
Added Feature: subtitle
, author , institute
attributes in main
Added Feature: "unescape characters"
(any LaTeX character allowed)
Added Feature: Compatibility with Saxon http://www.saxonica.com/
Added Feature: Ported to XSLT 2.0
Added Feature: Beamer theme can be selected as attribute. The new generated tex file doesn't need any master doc if standard themes are used.
How to build PDF slides directly from Freemind.
For those who rather write down their ideas on a mindmap
form than using classical text structures, tools to convert these maps into documents or slides for presentations can be very useful. Here, you have a way to do the whole process using Open Source elements in the whole process. If you want to get slide and presentations that can compete with the best Power Point presentation and you want to do it directly from Freemind, then just follow these instructions.
- Clouds are converted to Latex blocks (4th level)
- Freeplane: Compatible with inserted Latex equations
- Images in full slide or two columns
- Freemind notes as text without bullets.
- Richcontent compatibility
- Long texts managed by Freemind as HTML text.
- Attributes to set [allowframebreaks,shrink,plain,squeeze] options in slides
- Figure captions
- Variable column width ("leftcolumnwidth" attribute)
- Framestyle generic options
- Appendix mode
- Subtitle, author and date attributes in main node
- unescape characters (any LaTeX character allowed)
To Do features:
- Automatic inclusion of videos
- Fix manual scaling problem in two column mode
How to proceed
- You can downlad Freeplane in: http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
- Convert a Freemind file into a Latex Beamer content file through mm2latexbeamer_richcontent.xsl available in the Attachments section. You have to export the mindmap using the xslt filter included in freemind and the name of the obtained tex file has to be textwithim.tex. To change this issue, you have to edit beamer_master.tex. Beamer_master is the main file.
- The main tex file is called to set the Latex Beamer configuration. You can change all these settings according to your needs. More information about Latex Beamer in: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf.
- To compile and the the final PDF you have tu run Pdftex. If you are working on a Windows platform, you can download Miktex (http://miktex.org/) for this task. Most of the Linux distributions come with a built in Latex and Pdftex compiler.
- If you are looking for a nice Latex editor, you can try Emacs and Vim (GNU Linux oriented even if they can run on Windows) or Texnicscenter (http://www.toolscenter.org/) which is a very nice OpenSource Latex IDE.
Attributes can be added to the freemind nodes in order to get more flexibility with beamer style or LaTeX parameters. These attributes have been already implemented:
First level node:
- Attribute Name "appendix" value: "whatever" adds an Appendix under "whatever" name.
- theme: value "name.sty". Style definition
- author: author name
- subtitle: subtitle text
- institute: company name
- date: date, \today puts automatically the current date
Third level node:
- framestyle: plain, shrink, squeeze, allowframebreaks and any other like "t" (top)
- leftcolumnwidth: number between 0 and 1 (variable columns when images are combined with bullets)
- backgroundpicture: path_to_the_picture
- backgroundcolor: colorname
Fourth level node:
- caption: caption text (used as caption for figures, it is not the typical LaTeX "\caption" command. Instead, it is just a text below the figure.
- width: image width value (e.g: 0.8\textwidth)
- height: image height value
- scale: scaling value value
- cloud: If this node is "clouded" , "block" environment will be applied to the node content.
Next Version will include
The following files show an example of the freemind source file and the resulting PDF slides.
Note: The following presentation may not work with Internet Explorer. Use Chrome or Firefox instead, or follow the link.Freemind to beamer
This work is based on the previous work of Joerg Feuerhake who made the
original xsl file. You can find it in: http://www.ladstatt.net/?p=49