Spotlight on Littleton!

Freedom's Way and Littleton Cafe, our
Spotlight on Littleton! sponsor, encourage you to get out and experience the sites of Littleton. As you tour the sites, take photos and email them to us at mail@freedomsway.org or post them on our Facebook page. Download the This Place Matters sign from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and include the sign in your photos.


print a pdf version of this tour from the attachments section below

click here for a GoogleMap version of this tour

Fox Tavern
35 Foster Street
Style: Modified/Georgian and Colonial Revival


Foster Street provides the passer-by with a view of many historical and beautiful homes of which the house, known as Fox Tavern, is an outstanding example. The original structure was built c. 1700, and operated as a tavern by John and Mary Fox. It was a meeting place for local residents, including Proprietors of the town in early 1700’s. At the time of the Revolutionary War, patriots gathered here. They were the Littleton Minutemen who marched to Concord in 1775.


The house was altered in later years and is now a private residence.



Photo by David Whitcomb


Houghton Memorial Building
4 Rogers Street

Style: Colonial Revival (1895)


This beautiful landmark was given to the town in 1895 by William S. Houghton, a wealthy Boston businessman who grew up in Littleton. The building housed the Reuben Hoar Library which he had donated in 1887 to honor a man who had saved his father from financial ruin. The HMB is now the home of the Littleton Historical Society after the library moved to larger quarters in 1989.


Come see the interior of this jewel of a building on Wednesdays, 1 to 4 PM, or second Sunday of the month, 2 to 4 PM.



Photo by David Whitcomb



Old Burying Ground and Environs
King Street, near east intersection with Shattuck Street


One-Stop Historical Bargain: The Old Burying Ground contains graves from the 1700’s, including those of early ministers and veterans of the Revolutionary War. Opposite the cemetery on King Street are Hathaway Park with the WW I Memorial, and Lyttleton Inn at 423 King Street, once the home of Hannah P. Dodge, Littleton’s first woman school superintendent. West along Shattuck Street are the Benjamin Shattuck House at #11, built c. 1730 for the first town minister, and #12 built c. 1730 which was used as a private high school in mid-1800’s.


Photo by David Whitcomb



Oak Hill Conservation Land: Lookout Rock and Tophet Chasm
Main Entrance and Parking on Oak Hill Road


A short walk (0.7 miles) up the wooded hill rewards the hiker with a view from Lookout Rock, 150 feet above the surrounding land, and near the highest point (508 feet) in Littleton. On a clear day, Boston’s John Hancock and Prudential Tower buildings are visible. In the glacial age, the hill was on the edge of a gigantic lake which broke through its bounds carving a deep chasm 120 feet below. Today, Tophet Chasm is 80 feet deep, but still an impressive drop from the height above.



Photo by Bill Brown




Yapp-Cobb Conservation Land
Parking on Newtown Road, or cul-de-sac at end of Pickard Lane Extension


Two parcels of land, one from the Cobb Family and the other from the Yapp Family, are recent acquisitions by the town of Littleton that consolidate previously held parcels into a 185 acre preserve. Three and a half miles of trails wind through rich woodlands with ponds and streams. Maps are available at the Newtown Road Kiosk.




photo by Rick Findlay








Č
Ċ
Thomas Conroy,
May 11, 2011, 11:16 AM
Comments