The Harvard General Store and Fruitlands Museum, our Spotlight on Harvard! joint sponsors, encourage you to get out and experience the sites of Harvard. As you tour the sites, take photos and email them to us at email@example.com or post them on our Facebook page. Download the This Place Matters sign from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and include the sign in your photos.
download a printable pdf version of this tour from the bottom of this page
click here for a GoogleMap version of this tour
Harvard Center Cemetery
Entrance next to #1 Still River Road
It is a well-maintained cemetery that includes the works of two of the well-known Harvard stone carvers Thomas Park and Jonathan Worster. Both carvers used high quality slate from Pin Hill, where the carvers were part of a cooperative, which came to an abrupt end when someone decided to use dynamite to get the slate and fractured all that remained.
Throughout the cemetery are many interesting epitaphs documenting disease, accidental deaths, infant mortality, childbirth deaths and slavery including a small marker in the corner that marks the grave of Othello, a slave of Henry Bromfield.
Corner of Still River and Ayer Roads
Although the original common lands were approximately 30 acres, over the passage of time, town fathers permitted development so the official open common space is much smaller.
Harvard Center is a local historic district and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Photo courtesy Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.
Ralph Houghton House
204 West Bare Hill Road
Private residences should only be viewed from a public way.
The large farmhouse is the sum of at least three structures, all very old. The western end is the original garrison house built between 1692 and 1704. Among the many Houghton family members who resided at the garrison, Elijah is listed in "Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution" as having marched on April 19, 1775, to Cambridge and served in various capacities throughout the war until 1780.
Shaker Cemetery and Trail to Holy Hill Worship Area
South Shaker Road
The Shaker Cemetery and Holy Hill worship grounds form an important part of the village that extends along Shaker and South Shaker Roads. The Shaker settlement in Harvard was one of several religious communities established by the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing, followers of Mother Ann Lee. The industrious Shakers packaged and sold seeds, invented the circular saw and other laborsaving devices.
The town-owned conservation land and trail to Holy Hill is reached from the marked parking lot on South Shaker Road that is adjacent to the Shaker Cemetery. The religious Shakers would walk from their village to their worship grounds.
Accessible only during daylight hours.
102 Prospect Hill Road
This year, the museum's first juried outdoor sculpture exhibition, Art in Nature, explores balance, strength, fragility, curiosity, and knowledge through a selection of engaging sculptures integrated into Fruitlands’ dynamic landscape.
Purchase admission to the grounds at the museum store. Trails/Grounds -- Adults $6.00, Children $3.00 Dogs are allowed if they are on a leash. Admission to the galleries additional. Visit them at www.fruitlands.org