My main philosophical interests lie in ethics, particularly in meta-ethics, value theory, and the history of ethics.
Since September 2013 I am a Senior Research Fellow in Practical Philosophy at the Philosophy Department of the University of Tartu, Estonia. In 2017 I have received a four-year Exploratory Personal Research Grant from ETAg, for a project on "Practical Metaethics". In early 2013 I received a four-year Start-up Personal Research Grant from the Estonian Research Council, for a project on "The Unity of Normative Discourse". In 2010-13 I was a Mobilitas Postdoctoral Researcher at the same university. Previously I had lectured at the university of Reading (2008-9). I received my PhD in Philosophy in December 2007 from Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy. In 2007 I also received an MPhil from the University of Reading. I did my BA and MA at Università La Sapienza in Rome, during which I spent more than one year as a visiting student in Reading (yes, again), where I wrote most of my MA thesis.
TEACHING AND SUPERVISION
I have taught on general meta-ethics, moral realism, value theory, Mill's utilitarianism, Hume's ethics, moral particularism, the philosophy and ethics of sexuality.
Here is a syllabus I have used for my meta-ethics courses, though I keep changing bits and pieces.
I enjoy supervising students in any of these and nearby areas. I currently supervise three PhD students: Karel Pajus (on Kantian Constructivism), Merike Reiljan (empathy and understanding), Stijn van Gorkum (ethical naturalism).
I have been the coordinator for BalPhiN (Baltic Philosophy Network).
Some of the following articles can be found by clicking on the links below. Or feel free to email me for a copy. For abstracts see my page on PhilPapers.
- Mill and Sexual Reform. Think 17 (50): 101-112, 2018.
- Normative Judgment and Rational Requirements: A Reply to Ridge. Analytic Philosophy 59 (2):281-290, 2018.
- Ethical Non-naturalism and the Guise of the Good, Topoi 37 (4): 581-590, 2018.
- The Guise of the Good. Philosophy Compass, 10 (10): 714-724, 2015.
- Climate Change and the Intuition of Neutrality. In M. Di Paola & G. Pellegrino (eds.), Canned Heat. Ethics and Politics of Global Climate Change, Routledge, 2014, 160-176.
- Fitting Attitudes and Solitary Goods. Mind, 122 (487):687-698, 2013.
And here is Krister Bykvist's reply to this paper.
- How to be a friend of absolute goodness. Philosophia. Philosophical Quarterly of Israel, 41 (4):1237-1251, 2013.
- What’s Wrong with Moorean Buck-Passing? Philosophical Studies 164 (3): 727-746, 2013.
- Moral Judgment, Sensitivity To Reasons, and the Multi-system View. The Baltic International Yearbook Of Cognition, Logic And Communication 7:1-19, 2012.
- Sidgwick and the Morality of Purity. Revue d’Etudes Benthamiennes, 10, 2012. http://etudes-benthamiennes.revues.org/604
- David Ross, Ideal Utilitarianism, and the Intrinsic Value of Acts. Journal for the History of Analytic Philosophy, 1, 2, 2012, pp. 1-21. http://jhaponline.org/journals/jhap/article/view/1348/1252
- The Dualism of the Practical Reason: Some Interpretations and Responses. Etica & Politica / Ethics & Politics, X, 2008, 2, pp. 19-41. (http://www2.units.it/~etica/2008_2/ORSI.pdf)
- Obligations of Nearness. The Journal of Value Inquiry, 42(1), 2008, pp. 1-21.
- Naturalism and the Buck-Passing View of Value. Philosophical Writings, no. 32, Summer 2006, pp. 58-77.
- K.C.Elliott, A Tapestry of Values. Acta Baltica Historiae et Philosophiae Scientiarum, 5, 2, 116-121, 2017. DOI: 10.11590/abhps.2017.2.06
- I. Hirose and A. Reisner (eds.), Weighing and Reasoning. Themes from the Philosophy of John Broome. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, 19, 3, 805−807, 2016. Doi:10.1007/s10677-015-9657-6
- Russ Shafer-Landau, ed., Oxford Studies in Metaethics, Volumes 5 & 6. Philosophy in Review 33 (1):77-81, 2013.
- Lorenzo Greco, L’io morale: David Hume e l’etica contemporanea [The Moral Self: David Hume and Contemporary Ethics]. Hume Studies, Volume 34, Number 1, April 2009, pp. 159-162.
Here is a copy of my PhD thesis, "Normativity and Value", in which I critically examined the fitting attitude (or buck-passing) account of value and some of its rivals.
I will soon upload an updated CV.