Summary : Known as Moises Frampton in the Domesday Book, it was held by Robert de Todens as part of the manor of Sapperton; in the mid thirteenth century it passed, by marriage, into the Mansell family and became an independent Manor and thereafter became known as Frampton Mansell. Agriculture was the main employer and there were at least two mills; the cloth industry providing some employment from the 16th to the 19th centuries. Even up to the 1970s agriculture was still to the fore, but the attractive situation of the village led to more professional people moving into the area. The oldest part of the village lies in the Golden Valley to the north, and contains a number of houses dating from the 17th century including Lower Manor Farm and Little Hattons. In the centre, one of the oldest buildings in the village is the Crown Inn dating from 1633. Frampton House was greatly enlarged and altered in the 19th century to make a Gothic-style dwelling. A school house was built in 1833 for 20 children but was closed by 1879, the Church of St.Luke was build by Lord Bathurst in 1843 in the neo-Norman style with an Italianate bell tower. (With edits, from information-britain.co.uk)
Village Camera :
Detail : A detailed historical view can be found in the two extracted documents from 'A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11', published by Victoria County History, shown below.
"A settlement was recorded at Frampton in 1086; it was called Moises Frampton in 1463 but later was usually called Frampton Mansell from early owners of the manor. The oldest part of the village lies in the Golden Valley north of a road running from Sapperton to meet the Cirencester turnpike near the Downs, but in the 19th century, although the church and the school were built to the north of the road, the village developed in a southerly direction towards the Cirencester road. Some of the new building was on Tarlton Lane which leads south-eastwards from the church to the turnpike road and formerly linked the settlement with the village of Tarlton.
The north part of the village contains a number of houses dating from the 17th century, including near the railway viaduct Lower Manor Farm and Little Hattons, which was the home of the owners of Puck Mill, and in the main village opposite the church the Manor. Frampton House on Tarlton Lane dates from the 17th century but was greatly enlarged and altered during the 19th century to make a Gothic-style residence. There are some 18thcentury farm buildings near by but most of the buildings in that area date from the 19th century and later. A terrace of council houses was built at the west end of the village in the early 20th century and a larger group of semi-detached houses was built on the west side of Tarlton Lane in the 1940s. A Baptist chapel and a wooden parish hall were also built in the 20th century. The village was said to contain 28 houses in the early 18th century and in 1821 the tithing contained 36 houses occupied by 37 families."
Home Guard 1940-1945
A short history of 'D' company can be found here