The Fire Brigade in Fownhope was first formed in 1939 by Hereford Rural District Council and the station at the time was at Walworth House. The crew were volunteers and in their ranks were Misses Vera and Ruth Biggs, due to many of the male population being away on active service during the war years. The sisters can lay claim to being the first female firefighters in the village, it would be another sixty-five years before anyone would follow in their footsteps.

After the end of the war, the station moved to a garage at the Green Man Inn. From 1947-1954 the station was under the control of the National Fire Service but in 1954 the County of Hereford Fire Brigade was formed. The station moved to its present site in November 1954 and was officially opened on 22nd. February 1964. The station was the first purpose built fire station in the county.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service now has 27 stations over the two counties of which 19 operate the retained duty system. The current personnel at Fownhope station numbers fifteen and the Officer in Charge is Tony Limb. The Fownhope pump is the first turn out to major incidents or to standby at Hereford. The personnel are made up of locals from all walks of life, the main requirements for new recruits being that you live or work within five minutes of the station and are able to meet all Brigade health and fitness requirements. Drill night is Tuesdays from 19.00 – 22.00