From: Art of Gluten-Free Baking
Yield: 8 cups
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken meat (I use a combo of white and dark meat)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 to 1 green or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 26 to 28 ounce box or can chopped tomatoes
- 15 ounce can Navy beans (or beans of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or marjoram)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Place all ingredients into a crockpot and mix well. Cook for 4+ hours on high or 8+ hours on low.
For a non-crockpot version:
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot place over medium heat, place a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Saute meat until brown. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, sautee until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, salt, herbs, and spices. Mix well.
- Cover and simmer on low, stirring every so often, until the tomatoes are cooked and the flavors are melded--1 or more hours.
- Serve over brown rice or pasta.