You might come into our church through a back door.
- You are finding healing from drug addiction at the Narcotics Anonymous meeting on Thursday evening at 8:00.
- You are preventing future troubles as a senior at S.T.R.O.N.G. a strength training class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-6 p.m or a flexibility class Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:30, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 and again at 10:30. These are hosted by the Fortuna Senior Services.
- You come to watch your health in free blood pressure checks on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month after the morning worship.
- You might be putting those nimble fingers to work making quilts for the community on the 4th Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Or making scarves and hats for soldiers on Tuesday afternoons.
- Your child is taking art from Susan Cooper meeting on Thursdays.
- or a Senior Arts program meeting during the evenings.
- Maybe someone you know has died and you come into the church to celebrate their life and grieve their loss and maybe find some comfort in a hard time.
In this day and age where most people don't attend a church, most people come into the church buildings through these back doors. But, you are also invited to come in the red front doors to the programs of our church: worship, classes, mission programs, play and fellowship times.
- We hold worship every week in a distinctive style of proclamation and discussion.
- Our classes are open and discussion oriented.
- We support the schools by inviting our members to volunteer constantly.
- We are always working on world care by supporting Heifer Project International and our local Food Bank (foodforpeople.org) and a smaller group of people working to help the poor in Fortuna called RiverLife Foundation.
- Each week we support them in making about 100 delivered hot meals and host a community meal the third Wednesday of each month.
- We have one of the strongest United Methodist Women's groups meeting on the coast and they have one active circle.
- Our choir meets before church at 9:15 for practice.
Our church is a place of life, healing, and community. We aren't going to tell you that you are going to hell. Instead, we are helping you heal your body, use your creativity and your mind, and deepen your spirit. And we hope to help you open doors in your life and in our community's life to a more loving and just world.
If you want to make a difference in this world, you are invited to join us in whatever door you can find.
Fortuna United Methodist Church