Albany County

Herkimer County

Rensselaer County

Allegany County

Jefferson County

Richmond County

Bronx County

Kings County

Rockland County

Broome County

Lewis County

Saint Lawrence County

Cattaraugus County

Livingston County

Saratoga County

Cayuga County

Madison County

Schenectady County

Chautauqua County

Monroe County

Schoharie County

Chemung County

Montgomery County

Schuyler County

Chenango County

Nassau County

Seneca County

Clinton County

New York City

Steuben County

Columbia County

New York County

Suffolk County

Cortland County

Niagara County

Sullivan County

Delaware County

Oneida County

Tioga County

Dutchess County

Onondaga County

Tompkins County

Erie County

Ontario County

Ulster County

Essex County

Orange County

Warren County

Franklin County

Orleans County

Washington County

Fulton County

Oswego County

Wayne County

Genesee County

Otsego County

Westchester County

Greene County

Putnam County

Wyoming County

Hamilton County

Queens County

Yates County

Workers' Compensation

(On-the-Job Injury or Illness)

What To Do If You Are Injured On The Job

If you are injured on the job, you must follow these simple steps:

OBTAIN first aid or other necessary medical treatment as soon as possible. The treating health care provider must be authorized by the Workers' Compensation Board, except in an emergency situation. You can find out more information about authorized providers and locate authorized providers in the Injured Workers or Health Care Providers sections of this website or by calling 1-800-781-2362. If your employer has been authorized to participate in a Preferred Provider Organization(PPO) or Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) program, you may be required to obtain medical treatment from a participating health care provider. Participating employers are required to notify their employees, in writing, of all information pertaining to a PPO or ADR program. Also, if you are in need of diagnostic tests or prescription medicine, your employer or your workers' compensation insurance carrier may require you to obtain your tests or your medicine from a diagnostic network or designated pharmacies or a network of pharmacies they have contracted with. It is required that you receive written notice if you are required to utilize a diagnostic network or designated pharmacies or a network of pharmacies.

The cost of necessary medical services is paid by your employer or your employer's insurance carrier, if the case is not disputed. Health care providers may request that injured workers sign form A-9. This form is meant to provide notice to the injured worker that he or she may be responsible to pay the medical bills if the Workers' Compensation Board disallows the claim or the injured worker does not pursue the claim.

NOTIFY your supervisor about the injury and the way in which it occurred, as soon as possible. An injured employee who fails to inform his or her employer, in writing, within 30 days after the date of the accident causing the injury, may lose the right to workers' compensation benefits. In the case of occupational disease, notification should be given within two years after disablement, or within two years after the claimant knew or should have known that the disease was work-related, whichever is later).

COMPLETE a claim for workers' compensation on Form C-3 and mail it to the nearest office of the Workers' Compensation Board, if there is lost-time. If a claim is not filed within two years from the date of the injury or disablement from an occupational disease, (or after disablement and after you knew, or should have known that the disease was work-related), you may lose your right to benefits.


  • Follow doctor's instructions to speed full recovery.

  • Attend an Independent Medical Examination if you are required to do so.

  • Go back to work as soon as you are able.

  • Attend such hearings as may be held in the case, when you are notified to appear

  • HireĀ  workers Comp lawyer to help with your claim. There is no upfront fee to you.

(On-the-Job Injury or Illness)

Understanding the Claims Process


The worker obtains the necessary medical treatment and notifies his/her supervisor about the accident and how it occurred.

The employee notifies the employer of the accident in writing, as soon as possible, but within 30 days.

The employee files a claim with the Board on Form Employee Claim (C-3) by mailing the form to the appropriate Board . This must be done within two years of the accident, or within two years after the employee knew or should have known, that the injury was related to employment.

Within 48 hours of the accident

The doctor completes a preliminary medical report on Form Doctor's Initial Report (C-4) and mails it to the appropriate District Office. Copies must also be sent to the employer or its insurance carrier, the injured worker, and his/her representative, if any.

Within 10 days of notification of the accident

The employer reports the injury to the Board and the insurance company on Form Employer's Report of Work-Related Injury/Illness (C-2).

Within 14 days of receipt of Form Employer's Report of Work-Related Injury/Illness (C-2)

The insurer provides the injured worker with a written statement of his/her rights under the law. This must be done within 14 days after receipt of the Employer's Report of Work-Related Injury/Illness (C-2) from the employer or with the first check, whichever is earlier. In addition, if the insurer requires claimants to use a network it has contracted with to obtain diagnostic tests, it must notify the claimant of the name and contact information for the network at the same time it sends the written statement of his/her rights or immediately if that time has passed.

Within 18 days of recepit of Form Employer's Report of Work-Related Injury/Illness (C-2)

The insurer begins the payment of benefits if lost time exceeds seven days. If the claim is being disputed, the insurer must inform the Workers' Compensation Board (and the claimant and his/her representative, if any). If payment is not being made for specific reasons stated on the notice (e.g. that there is no lost time or that the duration of the disability is less than the 7-day waiting period), the insurer must also notify all the parties.

The insurer files Form Notice to Chair of Carrier's Action on Claim for Benefits (C-669) or Notice That Right to Compensation is Controverted (C-7) with the Board indicating either that payment has begun or the reasons why payments are not being made. If the employee does not notify the employer timely, this notice may be filed within 10 days of learning of the accident.

Every 2 weeks

The insurer continues to make payments of benefits to the injured employee (if the case is not being disputed). The carrier must notify the Board on Form Notice That Payment of Compensation Has Been Stopped or Modified (C-8.6) when compensation is stopped or modified.

Every 45 days

The doctor submits progress reports on Form Doctor's Progress Report (C-4.2) to the Board.

After 12 weeks

The insurer considers the necessity of rehabilitation treatment for the injured employee

Hire a For the Injured Worker Workers Comp Lawyer right away.