Lemon Bundt Cake
From: The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook
3 Tablespoons lemon zest
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt
18 Tablespoons (2 ¼ sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs, room temp
1 egg yolk, room temp
2 cups (8 ounces) powdered sugar
2-3 Tablespooons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon buttermilk
Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pan: 12-cup Bundt pan. Spray with Pam with Flour or Baker's Joy, or butter and flour pan generously.
1. Zest/Juice: Mince lemon zest into a fine paste and combine with lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Dry ingredients: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Wet ingredients: Combine the lemon juice mixture, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Cream: Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.. Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, mixing thoroughly. Scrape sides of bowl.
5. Combine dry & wet: On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients in three additions and buttermilk in two additions. Don't overmix. Finish with a spatula.
6. Bundt Pan: Spoon batter into bundt pan and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula. Lightly tap on counter a couple times to remove air bubbles.
7. Bake: Place pan in the oven (never put a Bundt pan on a tray - air needs to circulate through the hole in the center of the Bundt pan). Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, about 45-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before adding glaze.
8. Glaze: While the cake is baking, whisk together the powdered sugar, 2 T of lemon juice and buttermilk until smooth. Add lemon juice as needed to get a pourable glaze. After the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, invert onto a rack. Pour half the glaze over the warm cake and cool for 1 hour. Then pour remaining glaze over the cake and let cool completely.
The Food Librarian I Like Big Bundts 3
Post with photos: TBA
Adapted from: The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook