Flo Braker's recipe calls for 1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) dried currants and 2 tablespoons dark rum or water to macerate for 15 minutes. I omitted this. Please see her book (page 180-181) for the full directions. You can also find the recipe online.
3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) store-bought refrigerated (rather than canned) eggnog
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the crystal rum glaze (I skipped this and made an eggnog glaze instead)
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 tablespoons water
Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pan: 12-cup Bundt pan. Spray with Pam with Flour or Baker's Joy, or butter and flour pan generously.
2. Dry ingredients: Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
3. Cream: Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl. Slowly stream in the eggs, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. Scrape sides of bowl.
4. Combine dry & wet: On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients in three additions and eggnog in two additions. Don't overmix. Add the vanilla beat until just blended together.
5. Bundt Pan: Spoon into bundt pan and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
6. Bake: Place pan in the oven (never put a Bundt pan on a tray - air needs to circulate through the hole in the center of the Bundt pan). Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, about 55-65 minutes. I made 1/2 the recipe and my 6-cup bundt was done in about 45 minutes.
7. Cooling : Place Bundt on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Invert and let cool on a wire rack.
8. Glaze: Mix together 1 cup powdered sugar and enough eggnog to get a pourable glaze until smooth, and pour over fully cooled cake. Note: Flo Braker's recipe has a crystal rum glaze. Please see her book (page 180-181) for the full directions. You can also find the recipe online.
The Food Librarian I Like Big Bundts 3
Post with photos: TBA
Adapted from: Flo Braker's Baking for All Occasions: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811845478/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=foodlibr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0811845478