2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Trader Joe's bittersweet chocolate)
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temp
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used Callebaut)
1 tablespoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup strong-brewed coffee (I used Starbucks VIA), cooled
1 cup buttermilk
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Trader Joe's bittersweet chocolate)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Oven: Preheat to 350 degrees.
Pan: 12-cup Bundt pan. Spray with Pam with Flour or Baker's Joy, or butter and flour pan generously.
No KitchenAid needed!
1. Chocolate mixture: Using a double boiler, melt 2 ounces of chocolate, stirring constantly. Scrape the chocolate into a large bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the oil and sugar. Whisk in the egg.
2. Dry ingredients: Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine dry & wet: Add 1/2 the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture with 1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Whisk the batter together. Then add the remaining dry, coffee and buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
4. Bundt Pan: Spoon batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth out.
5. Bake: Place pan in the oven (never put a Bundt pan on a tray - air needs to circulate through the hole in the center of the Bundt pan). Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, about 45 minutes. Don't overbake!
6. Cool: Let the cake cool on the rack for 10 minutes and then invert it on a cooling rack until fully cooled.
7. Ganache: Place 3 ounces of chopped chocolate, the corn syrup and butter in a bowl. Heat the heavy cream until it just begins to boil in a small saucepan. Pour cream over chocolate mix. Let stand for a few minutes then whisk until totally melted and smooth.
8. Finishing: Let the ganache set up a bit (about 5 minutes). Pour over the cake. Let sit for 30 minutes before enjoying.
The Food Librarian I Like Big Bundts 3
Post with photos: http://foodlibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/10/double-chocolate-bundt-cake-with.html
October 19, 2011
Adapted from the Food & Wine's Double-Chocolate Bundt Cake with Ganache Glaze submitted by Kate Neumann: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/double-chocolate-bundt-cake-with-ganache-glaze