I adapted this from Martha Stewart (Everyday Food Oct 2005) Applesauce Cake recipe, but made a lot of changes: Added pears, increased amount of eggs, omitted cardamom & honey, added vanilla, ground ginger and crystallized ginger. 3 cups (420 grams) all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, diced 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp 2 cups packed light-brown sugar 3 eggs, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups applesauce (homemade), cooled (I used Martha Stewart's recipe for basic applesauce but I used apples and pears)
Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pan: 12-cup Bundt pan. Spray with Pam with Flour or Baker's Joy, or butter and flour pan generously.
1. Make applesauce or applepearsauce. Let cool. Can be made a day ahead.
2. Dry ingredients: Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger in a large bowl.
3. Cream: Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape sides of bowl. Add vanilla.
4. Combine dry & wet: On low speed, add dry ingredients. Don't overmix. Add applesauce and crystallized ginger and mix until just blended together.
5. Bundt Pan: Spoon into bundt pan and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
6. Bake: Place pan in the oven (never put a Bundt pan on a tray - air needs to circulate through the hole in the center of the Bundt pan). Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, about 45-60 minutes.
7. Cooling : Place Bundt on a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Invert and let cool on a wire rack.
8. Optional: Sprinkle powdered sugar on cake. Enjoy!
The Food Librarian I Like Big Bundts 3
Post with photos: TBA
November 10, 2011